PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This blend is due to be released April 29. 777 tins are to be produced.
The spicy, richly deep sweet rum and the tingly pepper from the St, James Acadian perique are the first things that hit you as you light up. That sensation lasts from start to finish as this blend has a very consistent flavor. The topping never weakens, which doesn’t surprise me as the mixture was soaked in that rum for a week. The perique is likely to be around sixty percent of the product, and also offers some plum. The aged red Virginia (from one particular 2003 North Carolina crop) has a fermented ripe dark fruitiness and a little earth, and is noticeable much of the time in a supporting role. Just as obvious in a back up position is the woody, nutty dark fired Kentucky, whose spiciness often separates itself from that of the perique. I don’t really notice much from the Dominican Republic black cavendish, which is used to add a little smoothness, and is present in a small amount. Has a medium to strong nic-hit. The strength and taste are strong and very filling. I recommend you take your time smoking this for best effect, and don’t use a big or narrow bowl.
The tobacco was a little moist when I opened the tin, but I saw no need to dry it. The burn rate was slow to moderate, and required a few relights. It will leave a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. I experienced no bite, but your tongue will tingle some from the spice content. Despite its strength, it wasn't harsh at any time nor did it burn hot. Most assuredly, this is a blend for the experienced smoker, and is not an all day smoke as by design. For that type of smoker, I rate it at three stars out of four.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Just bought three tins yesterday. Thanks for the review Jim.

May 31, 2012
Damn Jim!

:puffy:
That's friggin' awesome,

I like your review and I am of the opinion that you have struck upon one of the most realistic and honest formats of review,

I always appreciate your input and the objective qualities suchwise, which is quite the scarce feat nowadays.
I highly value your opinion.
To my tastes,

you have been on the spot more often than not,

and that's somewhat rare with tobacco reviews.
I salute your enthusiasm and I thank you for your wise observations.
I have found that your reports have been more accurate than most,

and I thank you.
Objectivity is a difficult muse to maintain,

but I feel that you are true to the truth in more cases than not.
That,

I can attest to from personal experience.
I would say that you are one of the most, if not the MOST, accurate reviewers of pipe tobacco on the scene today, and for that I am thankful, and although we have had certain disagreements in the past with me coming off as an a%&hole, I hope that perhaps you can forgive me...
:puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Nice review Jim as always. April 29, is the release date, yet there are tins already being purchased? Are they offering these at the Pipe Shows? Does anyone know if you can buy The Beast at 12:00am on April 29? This may become a unicorn similar to its little brother Straight up English.
When Out of luck and its all sold out, You can always smoke the Genuine Article RUMPER

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I don't know about the 29th because my tobacconist received 10 tins yesterday.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Couple pics from the tin:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEhA5vrJC0L/?taken-by=pylorns

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEhBw4LpC2S/?taken-by=pylorns
I agree with Jim on his review, its a sit down and smoke a single bowl type of smoke, I couldn't see myself smoking this all day, just not that smooth, the preique is well balanced, but that spice does hit.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Perdurabo and Kanaia: I was going on the release date from C&D's web site. Guess they jumped the gun.
Troy: I greatly thank you for the compliments and for the apology, which I certainly accept. Let's start over, man.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I would say that you are one of the most, if not the MOST, accurate reviewers of pipe tobacco on the scene today, and for that I am thankful
Troy (another person I respect very much), hit it right on the head! Jim, as always, NOTHING BUT THE BEST... :worship:

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Jiminks is simply the best in a field of a few of really outstanding tobacco reviewers. I don't consider purchasing a blend until I consult the Jim Review.
Uh, the Beast is probably one I'll let you guys fight over. I'm a nic wuss these days. I have to run in the slow lane.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I haven't wanted to try a new blend for quit some time. But Jim you make this one sound irresistible. I'm gonna have to see if I can get a tin. Plus try what deathmeatal did, mix it with fivebrothers for a powerhouse. Thank You Sir! scrooge/James

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The sensitivity of Jim's palate is a gift to us all, especially since he has the ability and willingness to share his experience in words.

I used to have some doubt that anyone with such a prolific catalog of reviews, who smokes so many tobaccos, could possibly have any taste buds alive.

Now, that doubt has been replaced with respect as I've leaned more about what it is we're all doing here.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Newbroom: thanks for the kind words. I do use a few tricks to help me out. I drink a lot of ice water or ice tea, especially when I plan on smoking something I'm going to review. Since smoke is hot by its very nature, cold drinks soothe my mouth. Once in a while, when I do feel a little tongue fatigue, I smoke something I am familiar with. I do the same thing if my sinuses bother me. Sometimes, eating something helps. I find my palate refreshed after lunch or dinner. Moving around from genre to genre works, too. For example, I find smoking a VaPer, then an aro, and then a Virginia, or some variation of that order, keeps me refreshed. Otherwise, I got the luck of genetics.
Having been a cook for years helped me learn to ID flavors. Russ Ouellette, retired Sutliff blender Carl McAllister are chefs. I hear Greg Pease is a good cook. I can't over estimate the importance of that, and that has to be of great help to them. One thing that helped me to learn was to smoke every tobacco varietal straight to get an idea of what they are in their basic form. I also do amateur blending, and find the experimentation to be very instructive.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Jim I've noticed that food cleanses the palate, tea is outstanding for a reset. Thanks for the tips.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Sold out three days before advertised release date at sp.com? Humph...
Maybe not...wrong blend? I get easily confused, need smoke; be back later.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for another great review Jim. Your description of The Beast makes it sound absolutely stunning. As you know, this blend has all of my favourite ingredients, but I doubt most US pipers will be able to get hold of any - never mind someone 3,000 miles away. I intend to enjoy it vicariously through comments on this site once it's been officially released :crying:
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.