Jim's C&D Sun Bear Mountain Flower Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Ardor Pipes
72 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
2 Fresh Askwith Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I’d thought I’d read somewhere that Sun Bear Mountain Flower was made of the same components as the previous releases and only the honey was different, so I was slightly surprised when it arrived to find I was mistaken and that the Mountain Flower tin says 2019 Basma and 2018 Izmir, whereas the previous versions’ tins (the 2020 and 2021 versions at least) say 2014 Basma and 2013 Izmir.

I have no opinion on this, because I like both versions very much and am glad I ordered multiple tins. I wonder, though, if this might be why this Mountain Flower version is reviewed as being a little different from and more potent and rugged than the previous versions, with more prominent Orientals.
Thanks for sharing this information as I had not investigated the 2022 enough yet, but this explains a lot to me in regard to my reception of the 2022 versus the previous 2020 and 2021 iterations. Definitely not nearly as an enjoyable smoke for me versus the previous editions. Mostly disappointing at this point.

Reactions: briarfoxx

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
I tossed what Sun Bear I had left, nor am I anticipating future releases of it. I was unimpressed.

No worries there - I didn't mean any offence there @Chasing Embers . I was having a bit of a tongue in cheek moment with the whole 'don't mention your favourite blends' / misdirection thing.. Anyways it worked in my head but obviously didn't come across like that on screen.

Apologies there for the aggravation.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Always i read your reviews. Especially on TobaccoReviews.

It is sad that here in Greece we cannot find the blends you have in your countries.

Reactions: JimInks

VirginiaMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2021
Elkview, WV
Mountain flower is quite close to the tin description for me. Definitely more floral and berry like with less sweetness compared to previous iterations. I think I like black locust better, but it’s still a great interesting tobacco. So kudos to Jeremy for keeping it interesting a unique.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like a flavor extravaganza. Are the Virginias or the Orientals the "base," that is, the greatest proportion of the blend? It sounds like maybe the Orientals predominate.

• Love
Reactions: TheWhale13

VirginiaMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2021
Elkview, WV
Sounds like a flavor extravaganza. Are the Virginias or the Orientals the "base," that is, the greatest proportion of the blend? It sounds like maybe the Orientals predominate.
No actually it’s Virginia forward. The floralness comes from the honey mostly to me. Don’t get me wrong the blend has that Virginia sweetness. When I was referring to sweetness I meant of the honey. The others had a bolder honey sweetness to them

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
For me at least, the Virginias and Orientals are the main players. It's kind of like a sparring match between the two, one puff the Virginias are more apparent, the next puff, the Orientals, but I taste them both in every puff. In the background, the honey along with the elderflower weave in and out offering a touch of mild sweetness along with some floralness. I don't reach for this every day but I do find it an enjoyable smoke.

Reactions: VirginiaMan

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
I tried a bowl out of a tin that I opened upon arrival, which gave it roughly a week to aerate (I do this for all C&D tins). I found Sun Bear to be very pleasant, it was a little sweet, a little fruity, and a little floral, all weaving nicely along throughout the bowl. I very much enjoyed it, I'm glad I purchased 3 tins!

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
No actually it’s Virginia forward. The floralness comes from the honey mostly to me. Don’t get me wrong the blend has that Virginia sweetness. When I was referring to sweetness I meant of the honey. The others had a bolder honey sweetness to them

Thats the funny thing about flavor being subjective. I get some sweetness, but its definitely not honey to me.

I get the typical sweet VA flavor but the Oriental is the main star in my opinion.

VirginiaMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2021
Elkview, WV
Thats the funny thing about flavor being subjective. I get some sweetness, but its definitely not honey to me.

I get the typical sweet VA flavor but the Oriental is the main star in my opinion.
100% agree along with the berry from the honey. I’ve never had honey where the berry came through so much in the flavor. The state I live in has tons of wild blackberry’s, and I always buy local honey. But none have been so berry forward. When I say berry obviously I’m referring to blackberrys.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I just received mine and cracked open a tin last night. Seemed a bit moist out of the tin, but actually lit and stayed going quite well. Good overall, but didn't grab me like 2020 and not even close to love at first smoke like the Black Locust version from last year. However, only one try so far and need to try both letting it dry more and let the tin breath for about a week. I'm sure it will get better then like most tobacco does after being first opened.
Okay, I am revisiting Sun Bear 2022 right now after having it opened and resting in the tin for the past two weeks. It has definitely improved. Less initial harshness with a bit more of the honey sweetness coming though. Still just doesn't seem as rich or refined as the previous two editions, but smokes well nonetheless. Meh. Can't find anything to be excited about with this iteration.

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I quite enjoy this blend. The jar note is very comforting. Smells of blueberry muffins to me. My wife loves the room note. I stocked up to see how it does over time.

Reactions: UncleRasta

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Wonderful smelling tin note but this one continues to fall short for me. Just too light. No real body to it. I've been mixing it with eight state burley to fatten it up and it's been better. On its own it's like smoking honey flavored air. Yes I've aired it out, dried it out, tried different pipes, smoked it slow, ect.. hopefully when I come back to the other tins I stashed away in years to come it will be more enjoyable.

Reactions: kschatey

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Wonderful smelling tin note but this one continues to fall short for me. Just too light. No real body to it. I've been mixing it with eight state burley to fatten it up and it's been better. On its own it's like smoking honey flavored air. Yes I've aired it out, dried it out, tried different pipes, smoked it slow, ect.. hopefully when I come back to the other tins I stashed away in years to come it will be more enjoyable.
Yeah, seems like a 100% different blend compared to last year's edition.

• Sad
Reactions: That Guy