Jim's C&D Sun Bear Mountain Flower Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

72 Fresh Peterson Pipes
9 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
3 Fresh Werner Mummert Pipes
6 Fresh GH.ZHANG Pipes
2 Fresh Scottie Piersel Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This blend goes on sale August 2.

The potent Basma and Turkish Izmir provide a lot of earth, wood, floralness, a fair amount of dry, tart sourness, spice, vegetation, herbs, light tangy sweetness, and a touch of smoke as the lead components. The bright Virginias offer some tart citrus, sour lemon, grass, bread, sugar, vegetation, mild floralness, spice, and light acidity as supporting players. The red Virginias produce some tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, tart and tangy citrus, bread, light sugar, floralness, and spice. They are a couple of slots behind the bright Virginias. The sweet mountain flower honey, elderflower, fruity tequila, and blackberry honey additives generates a wealth of tart and tangy fruits (including grape and berries from the elderflower), honey, floralness, and herbs. They moderately tone down the tobaccos as they help form a cohesive, well balanced, and complex blend. The strength and taste are a couple of steps past the medium mark. Has a medium nic-hit. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. There are a few hints of roughness. The flakes easily break apart to suit your packing preference. They are mildly moist, and as is my usual custom, I did not dry them nor did I see a need to do so. Burns cool, clean and tad slow with a mostly consistent tangy sweet and tartly sour, fruity, floral, spicy, savory, zesty flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is a notch stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a couple more than an average number of relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Four stars out of four.

This production is a little different than the first two Sun Bear blends. The Orientals are a little more prominent here, so it is more floral and a tad less sweet and fruity than the others were. It’s not as creamy or as smooth as Black Locust or the original Sun Bear. Those two could be all day smokes. This one really isn’t as it’s a more rugged, potent, savory blend with a touch more complexity. I gave four stars to each manufacture.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Very helpful review. The elevated oriental contribution sounds interesting. I liked the Black Locust a lot and agree it was an all day (even every day) smoke. It seems as if the Mountain Flower version is a departure from the first two Sun Bears—more of an occasional change-of-pace smoke.

gastro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2020
Twin Cities, Minnesota
thanks Jim, I tried a bowl of this yesterday. It was pretty good, but I'm still chasing the dragon from the 2019 batch. All the following batches have been good, but that first batch sticks out in my mind. I liked the mountain flower, but I'm not sure I need to horde this new batch.

PuffingWalrus

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Brattleboro VT
Got Mine last night right on the button when the release happened!!!!!! very excited to have in my collection. Very happy i got when i did to bc it was sold out this morning and around 12:30 pm (east coast time) it seemed like smokingpipes crashed for a bit. Either way very pleased i got mine.

Reactions: dunnyboy and dcon

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
While my thoughts are more impression than review as I’ve smoked only two bowls of this release from a “sneak peek” tin at Monday’s Low Country Pipe Club meeting, I found this to be a touch sweeter than the 2019 release and thought the berry undertone was notable throughout the entire smoke. I’m not ready to say it’s my favorite release of the series, but if my own tins follow suit, it will be! Very nice, floral, sweet and a bit less “sharp” than previous versions. It’s immediately smokeable.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m still working through my supply of the 2019 release, so I probably won’t get to Mountain Flower for many years, but the differences sound interesting. From reading SP.com’s tasting notes article, it sounds like Jeremy has very deliberately tried to change things up between versions. Generally speaking, I was a little skeptical of the tequila and elderflower toppings when the first version dropped, but it really provides a unique change of pace from other VaOr blends.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I never had the pleasure of trying the other versions, but I can say I am happy to have grabbed a few of these. You definitely get the oriental in this and I feel like its just a spot on good VA blend. I honestly would have never guessed there was any honey, but that doesnt make it a bad blend.

Great review on that Jim.

Reactions: JimInks

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've tried to like the previous incarnations, and while good, KBVs Yoshimi's Out Shine kicked them in the teeth.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I just received mine and cracked open a tin last night. Seemed a bit moist out of the tin, but actually lit and stayed going quite well. Good overall, but didn't grab me like 2020 and not even close to love at first smoke like the Black Locust version from last year. However, only one try so far and need to try both letting it dry more and let the tin breath for about a week. I'm sure it will get better then like most tobacco does after being first opened.

Reactions: ram74

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I’d thought I’d read somewhere that Sun Bear Mountain Flower was made of the same components as the previous releases and only the honey was different, so I was slightly surprised when it arrived to find I was mistaken and that the Mountain Flower tin says 2019 Basma and 2018 Izmir, whereas the previous versions’ tins (the 2020 and 2021 versions at least) say 2014 Basma and 2013 Izmir.

I have no opinion on this, because I like both versions very much and am glad I ordered multiple tins. I wonder, though, if this might be why this Mountain Flower version is reviewed as being a little different from and more potent and rugged than the previous versions, with more prominent Orientals.

Reactions: ram74 and JimInks

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Here are the tin labels I have access to for reference. Also interesting (though I don’t know if it means anything), with the 2022 Mountain Flower version they specified 2019 Bright Virginia, whereas the previous (two) releases had no year listed.

2020 Sun Bear:
FCF95F24-C964-4DBD-866D-583D86B2B5F5.jpeg

2021 Sun Bear Black Locust:
ABBF3D40-5A7E-46FE-BCD1-66AACC4D650A.jpeg

2022 Sun Bear Mountain Flower:
A7E8C43E-01EE-491D-BBE1-7D5CDCA13639.jpeg