Jim's C&D Steamworks (Small Batch) Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Odd question: The steaming process sounds incredibly unique, but if you smoked several different blends in quick succession, could you pick this one from the line-up?
I think so although I certainly have been reviewing a lot of blends with Orientals in them lately so I'm sure it would be harder than I think. Seems to me blends with Orientals have become a trend this year.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I think so although I certainly have been reviewing a lot of blends with Orientals in them lately so I'm sure it would be harder than I think. Seems to me blends with Orientals have become a trend this year.
Fair enough! You've assuaged my concerns in not having bought any. I had them in the cart but just couldn't proceed to checkout.

Reactions: JimInks

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Fair enough! You've assuaged my concerns in not having bought any. I had them in the cart but just couldn't proceed to checkout.
My unsolicited opinion - Steamworks has taken its place as my favorite C&D blend. The overall flavor reminds me of aged Gawith/Wessex Virginias.
I hope @jeremyreeves does more like this in the future.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
My unsolicited opinion - Steamworks has taken its place as my favorite C&D blend. The overall flavor reminds me of aged Gawith/Wessex Virginias.
Rather impressive. I'm in agreement in hopes of seeing more steamed blends in the future. For me, it was a matter of ingredients. I believe I'll love perique one day, but I'm sad to say that such a day has not yet arrived. I still regularly smoke perique blends, but with so many great limited releases in recent times and more on the horizon, I reluctantly landed on the negative for this one.

(For context, my favorite C&Ds so far are Crooner and Opening Night. Though Mad Fiddler and Joie de Vivre are fantastic blends too and they do include perique. As said, I almost bought. Just couldn't pull the trigger.)

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I didn't mean it to be a negative comment. I gave it four stars out of four so I obviously recommended it. My comment only pertained to blind taste testing in the way it did because I must have smoked over twenty different new Oriental blends this year. Nobody could distinguish that many correctly in blind taste testing even if they reviewed them all like I did. I include myself in that last comment.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I didn't mean it to be a negative comment. I gave it four stars out of four so I obviously recommended it. My comment only pertained to blind taste testing in the way it did because I must have smoked over twenty different new Oriental blends this year. Nobody could distinguish that many correctly in blind taste testing even if they reviewed them all like I did. I include myself in that last comment.
Oh, I know you didn't mean it in the negative. 4/5 is great, but not uncommon these days. There are a great many competent blenders and an ample supply of quality leaves. It's just that I have a soft spot for the strange. I can live with myself for passing up on a 4/5, but if you'd told me it was incredibly discernable, I'd have kicked myself for not buying.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Oh, I know you didn't mean it in the negative. 4/5 is great, but not uncommon these days. There are a great many competent blenders and an ample supply of quality leaves. It's just that I have a soft spot for the strange. I can live with myself for passing up on a 4/5, but if you'd told me it was incredibly discernable, I'd have kicked myself for not buying.
4 out of 4.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What, a C&D blend with no burley? But seriously, sounds like a tour de force.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
+1.
I’m really impressed with and enjoy the hell out of Steamtwerks.
This is the first C&D blend that has become a regular for me.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
How bad is the mold issue with this one? I’m hearing a lot of chatter about mold with this release. Was thinking of picking one up from a bm but got scared with the mold complaints

• Wow
Reactions: FLDRD

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I'm a fan. It's hard to win me over on VAs. Throw some stoved VA in there and/or some Oriental and that helps. I guess the steam treatment or whatever is kind of like stoving. I don't remember what they said they did.

But it's got a nice, sweet woody flavor and I like it.

lupy1234

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 3, 2023
I mixed some up with Mac Baren's Solent Mixture, holy crap...the mix is fantastic.

• Wow
Reactions: FLDRD

StrangeVice

Lurker
Jul 1, 2023
I appreciate your review Jim. I'm a newer pipe smoker and I've grown fond of virginia blends and oriental blends. This will be the first tobacco I've purchased with intent to cellar some. It's currently available at pipes and cigars if anyone missed it or would like a few for later.

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I appreciate your review Jim. I'm a newer pipe smoker and I've grown fond of virginia blends and oriental blends. This will be the first tobacco I've purchased with intent to cellar some. It's currently available at pipes and cigars if anyone missed it or would like a few for later.
I'm pleased the review helped you.

Reactions: StrangeVice