Jim's C&D Sansepolcro 2024 Small Batch Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale Tuesday, February 27th at 6 p.m. EST.

The double fermented Italian dark fired Kentucky provides a lot of earth, wood, floralness, smoke, vegetative grass, toast, some herbs, spice, nuts, bitter sourness, peat, leather, mild mesquite, light cigar and vinegar notes as the lead component. The 2022 and 2021 red Virginias offer an abundance of fermented tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, tart citrus, grass, some sugar, mild floralness, and a touch of spice in a full support role. The aspects of the 2019 bright Virginia are a fair amount of very tart and tangy citrus, grass, sugar, bread, floralness, vegetation, some bitter sour lemon and spice. It is a couple of steps behind the red Va.s. The unsweetened Dominican black cavendish produces very mild tart and tangy citrus, vegetative grass, earth, wood, peat, sugar, leather and light smoky cigar. It’s barely a condiment. The fruity, creamy casings have a very mild effect on the proceedings. The strength and nic-hit are a couple of slots past the medium threshold. The taste is a rung past that mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. There are a few small rough notes. The easily broken apart, mildly moist flakes require no dry time. Well balanced with a little complexity and nuance, it burns cool, clean and a tad slow with a very consistent fermented, fruity, sweet, floral, spicy, smoky, mildly creamy, mesquite, lightly cigarish and sour, moderately zesty, savory flavor that extends to the long lasting, pleasant after taste. The room note is closer to pleasant than it is to tolerable. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few more than an average number of relights. Despite its depth, the sweetness makes it a little more comfortable than one might expect from my description. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. This production is much sweeter, and not quite as strong as the original production. I recommend a wide bowl for this one. Four stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2024.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
It’s a unique blend. I won’t be buying any as I have a pile left from 2019. And I have too much tobacco in my cellar. 😉
I’m with you, dug into the stash and found a 10/16 tin and will open tonight remembering how much I like this blend. Thanks, Jim! Everyone enjoy this one😉

Chris T

Lurker
Aug 3, 2023
Thanks for the review. I went ahead and committed to a couple of tins. Can anyone reassure me that it's not just going to be a flake cut Toscano? The cigar leaf has me worried.