Jim's C&D Corn Cob Pipe & A Button Nose Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale August 29 at 6 p.m. EST.

The red Virginia provides some tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, sugar, mild tart citrus, light floralness, grass and spice. It takes a very small lead. The bright Virginia offers some tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, sugar, mild floralness, light spice and a touch of lemon as a competitive second lead. Almost as obvious is the earthy, woody, nutty, toasty, mildly sweet burleys. The sugary, toasty, woody, creamy stoved black cavendish is a step above the condiment line. The hot cocoa is more obvious than the vanilla-ish marshmallow. They moderately tone down the tobacco and synergistically help create a very consistent creamy sweet, fruity, nutty and lightly floral, spicy flavor that extends to mildly lingering, pleasant after taste. Mildly moist, well balanced and nuanced, it burns cool, clean and slightly slow. The strength is a slot above the mild mark. The taste is a notch short of the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit is very mild. No chance of bite, harshness or rough edges. The room note is very pleasant. Barely leaves any moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. A three and a half star all day smoke. It may be the smoothest of all the versions produced.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Great review Jim. It sounds like a nice blend to smoke whilst sitting around the Christmas tree listening to Bing Crosby. I love the tin art and the holiday theme but I likely wouldn't smoke more than a bowl or two as aromatics just don't do it for me. I wish I could get someone to smoke it around me because I'm sure the room note would be awesome.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

The red Virginia provides some tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, sugar, mild tart citrus, light floralness, grass and spice. It takes a very small lead. The bright Virginia offers some tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, sugar, mild floralness, light spice and a touch of lemon as a competitive second lead. Almost as obvious is the earthy, woody, nutty, toasty, mildly sweet burleys. The sugary, toasty, woody, creamy stoved black cavendish is a step above the condiment line. The hot cocoa is more obvious than the vanilla-ish marshmallow. They moderately tone down the tobacco and synergistically help create a very consistent creamy sweet, fruity, nutty and lightly floral, spicy flavor that extends to mildly lingering, pleasant after taste. Mildly moist, well balanced and nuanced, it burns cool, clean and slightly slow. The strength is a slot above the mild mark. The taste is a notch short of the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit is very mild. No chance of bite, harshness or rough edges. The room note is very pleasant. Barely leaves any moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. A three and a half star all day smoke. It may be the smoothest of all the versions produced.
if it's anything like the version from a few years ago which it sounds like they updated it without lossing what was great about it. The room note was the best part. It also was a super easy blend to smoke. The taste was good a little same same but good. Really felt like the old version was designed to be the thing you smoke in a social setting. The room note was the kind where non smokers encourage you to light it up inside. A chimp could have loaded the pipe decently. You'd have to scrap a few layers of tissue off your tongue to get bit by it. Dang you Jim now I have to get this iteration because it sounds like they improved it without lossing it's old charms.

Reactions: dcon

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I remember it being cube cut burly in the past. I could be wrong as I bought one tin and went through it super slowly. And from the way jim puts it this sounds more complex without ruining what made the old one great.

It was cube cut. This version states Ready Rubbed on the tin. It is a ribbon

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Great review Jim. It sounds like a nice blend to smoke whilst sitting around the Christmas tree listening to Bing Crosby. I love the tin art and the holiday theme but I likely wouldn't smoke more than a bowl or two as aromatics just don't do it for me. I wish I could get someone to smoke it around me because I'm sure the room note would be awesome.
Now I am going to have to try and get some just because of this........... thanks...... I think.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Thanks Mr. Jim, I cant wait to get some.
I love Christmas blends. I do wish they would wait to release at least until after Halloween though...

Reactions: JimInks

JEdwards

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2022
Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Earth
I am trying my first bowl of this now. I agree with everything @JimInks said. It is a pleasant all day smoke and the aromatic aspect is, to me, lingering in the background like a warm, nostalgic holiday song playing softly in the next room. It could easily replace my tub of Carter hall as my go-to comfort blend.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I tried some a month ago and it was okay, I'll revisit this weekend now it's been open awhile, then likely leave it for the holidays if I like it as much as some other holiday themed blends I already know I like.

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023

Could not disagree more. This was one of the worst aromatics I’ve ever tried.