PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am celebrating my fiftieth anniversary as a pipe smoker with a bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in the very first pipe I ever smoked (which was my father’s pipe), a late 1950s smooth with etched grooves straight Willard long stem adjustomatic Canadian with a black vulcanite stem. The last of this bag of Gold Star mmmMocha, neat, is my drink. Going to smoke the first few pipes I bought this afternoon.
Williard.jpg

Back when I was a teenager, my buddy Steve Parsons was trying for weeks to get me to try pipe smoking, knowing I had my father’s old pipe. He wanted someone to enjoy smoking with. Finally, he said, “Just try it, and if you don’t like it, I’ll never bug you again about it.” I said, “Anything to shut you up, Steve.” On June 20, 1974, he had a small still which was brewing his alcohol, and we were checking it about that time. The reason I remember the day is obvious. The reason I know the exact time I had my first bowl of pipe tobacco (1:30 p.m) is because I'm an infamous clock watcher, and when I lit up for the first time, I looked at my watch as I often do, and in this case, to record the moment so I could bitch Steve out if I hated it, which I obviously didn't. Btw, the tobacco he handed me was Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, which was half decent in those days if you puffed slowly.

Steve said the batch was ready to drink, and he wanted me to try it. I said, "You are out of your freakin' mind, buddy. You made it, you try it." He wouldn't. He fed a sample to a mouse, and the mouse died. That ended that experiment. But, I enjoyed that tobacco, and was forever hooked on pipe smoking. I did bitch Steve out after high school when he quit smoking, and I was a lone smoker. I never let him forget it to this day.

Here's another story:
I was 16 and it was a very hot summer day as I was driving down the busiest street in town, smoking my pipe. The air conditioner in my car didn't work, so I had the windows down. Next thing I know, a cop stops me. He walks to my side of the car, sticks his head in the car, and has a funny look on his face. I asked why he stopped me. He said, "Aren't you smoking marijuana?" I told him I wasn't, and showed him the pouch of Skandinavik Regular. I said, "You thought I was smoking dope? If I was, would I be doing it in broad daylight in the middle of Church Street with my windows down?" "Well, I'm not used to seeing a kid smoking a pipe with pipe tobacco," as he apologized for bothering me, and walked away with a "I'm the dumbest cop in Alamance County" look on his face. I expect he graduated to policing school crosswalks after that.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Jim what great memories of your first pipe and close friend, just wonderful. 50 years Jim, where did the time go my friend and I for one am incredibly grateful you decided to smoke that little Willard and refine your palate to a level by which all others are now measured. Your contributions to pipe smoking are breathtaking, relentless and welcomed by all. Thank you and my hope is we see another 50 from you please.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
JimInks:

2,857.19 pounds of pipe-tobacco smoked over 50 years is impressive; however, you still have to catch up with Mynheer van Klaes, a Hollander, who, according to Richard Carleton Hacker in his The Ultimate Pipe Book, consumed, "...approximately four tons of tobacco during his rather successful lifetime. Upon his death, his Will stipulated that all the smokers of the countryside should come to his funeral and smoke their pipes throughout the ceremony. Then, according to his wishes, as his coffin was lowered into the ground, all attendees scattered the ashes of their pipes into the grave. As each one filed out of the cemetary, they were presented with ten pounds of tobacco and two new pipes bearing van Klaes' name and family crest."

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
JimInks:

2,857.19 pounds of pipe-tobacco smoked over 50 years is impressive; however, you still have to catch up with Mynheer van Klaes, a Hollander, who, according to Richard Carleton Hacker in his The Ultimate Pipe Book, consumed, "...approximately four tons of tobacco during his rather successful lifetime. Upon his death, his Will stipulated that all the smokers of the countryside should come to his funeral and smoke their pipes throughout the ceremony. Then, according to his wishes, as his coffin was lowered into the ground, all attendees scattered the ashes of their pipes into the grave. As each one filed out of the cemetary, they were presented with ten pounds of tobacco and two new pipes bearing van Klaes' name and family crest."
That's a cool story. I'm probably half way there, but we tried to err on the side of caution regarding how much I've smoked. I've averaged about sixteen bowls a day for the last forty years, and probably ten to twelve a day for the first ten. As a guess, I went with twelve a day when we did the math. The general consensus from what I have seen on forums in the past is that the average bowl holds three grams of pipe tobacco. That was how we calculated the number I posted. But, I used to smoke a lot of bigger pipes, so the number is probably higher than what I posted.

Btw, in looking at my notes, I found this info that I wrote years ago:
Drugstores and grocery stores the summer of 1974 when I started smoking: pouches of ERR was 25 cents, SWR was 25 cents, SWRA was 30 cents, Revelation was 30 cents, Madeira Gold was 24 cents, all Borkum Riff products were 30 cents, Mixture #79 was 40 cents, Rum and Maple was 35 cents, Middleton Apple and Cherry were 25 cents each, Amphora Red and Brown were 30 cents each, Carter Hall was 30 cents, Prince Albert was 25 cents, Skandinavik Regular and Aromatic were 35 cents a pack, Sail Green and Yellow were 32 cents a pouch, Granger was 22 cents, Flying Dutchman was 35 cents, Paladin was 28 cents, Sugar Barrel was 28 cents, Half & Half was 24 cents, Captain Black White was 35 cents.

Last edited:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am celebrating my fiftieth anniversary as a pipe smoker with a bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in the very first pipe I ever smoked (which was my father’s pipe), a late 1950s smooth with etched grooves straight Willard long stem adjustomatic Canadian with a black vulcanite stem. The last of this bag of Gold Star mmmMocha, neat, is my drink. Going to smoke the first few pipes I bought this afternoon.
View attachment 318678

Back when I was a teenager, my buddy Steve Parsons was trying for weeks to get me to try pipe smoking, knowing I had my father’s old pipe. He wanted someone to enjoy smoking with. Finally, he said, “Just try it, and if you don’t like it, I’ll never bug you again about it.” I said, “Anything to shut you up, Steve.” On June 20, 1974, he had a small still which was brewing his alcohol, and we were checking it about that time. The reason I remember the day is obvious. The reason I know the exact time I had my first bowl of pipe tobacco (1:30 p.m) is because I'm an infamous clock watcher, and when I lit up for the first time, I looked at my watch as I often do, and in this case, to record the moment so I could bitch Steve out if I hated it, which I obviously didn't. Btw, the tobacco he handed me was Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, which was half decent in those days if you puffed slowly.

Steve said the batch was ready to drink, and he wanted me to try it. I said, "You are out of your freakin' mind, buddy. You made it, you try it." He wouldn't. He fed a sample to a mouse, and the mouse died. That ended that experiment. But, I enjoyed that tobacco, and was forever hooked on pipe smoking. I did bitch Steve out after high school when he quit smoking, and I was a lone smoker. I never let him forget it to this day.

Here's another story:
I was 16 and it was a very hot summer day as I was driving down the busiest street in town, smoking my pipe. The air conditioner in my car didn't work, so I had the windows down. Next thing I know, a cop stops me. He walks to my side of the car, sticks his head in the car, and has a funny look on his face. I asked why he stopped me. He said, "Aren't you smoking marijuana?" I told him I wasn't, and showed him the pouch of Skandinavik Regular. I said, "You thought I was smoking dope? If I was, would I be doing it in broad daylight in the middle of Church Street with my windows down?" "Well, I'm not used to seeing a kid smoking a pipe with pipe tobacco," as he apologized for bothering me, and walked away with a "I'm the dumbest cop in Alamance County" look on his face. I expect he graduated to policing school crosswalks after that.
Shows you how times have changed, i was driving down the main street in El Cajon CA, had the top down and a friend was smoking a cigarette, got pulled over and we got pulled over for my friend "smoking in public", I got a ticket not even a warning, seems the street is an outdoor common area even if you're in a car. I threw the ticket away. LOL CA sucks.