yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Congrats-1.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Congratulations on your 46th! I bought my first pipe a few years after you. I had a pouch of Borkum Riff Bourbon about ten years ago and thought it was pretty good, didn't buy more, but enjoyed it. You certainly have been generous in sharing your intergalactic travel with pipe smoking, and we have all benefitted. Few if any will catch up with your wide ranging experience, but we have all enjoyed learning so much from it.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Congrats Jim! Your reviews and insight have certainly helped me a ton!

Your story about your friends still reminded me of a story my Grandfather told us about his time stationed in Hawaii during WWII. He was a Navy corpsman attached to a marine unit headed for the pacific campaign. Apparently while waiting for his company’s rotation some guys in another company back from their stint had set up a still someplace in the hills. These guys were apparently from old families of Carolina moonshiners and knew how to hide a still, though it could be smelt the higher ups never managed to find it despite many patrols and attempts. Apparently lacking the tools to test the stuff and having heard there was a corpsman around these guys came to him and said “hey doc! You’re in the medical field can you tell us if this is safe to drink?” He apparently not wanting to be involved in case they got caught told them he couldn’t help, but pointed out there were some stray cats around base. A few drunk cats later he assumed they had figured it out, then heard a rumor that few guys had been dishonorably discharged for dinking themselves blind. He said he was never sure if it was them or not, if something had gone wrong or if that had been their goal all along. Likely a good call on not being the test subject for your friends brew!

cheers to many more years of happy smoking!