PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Jim with the beard you don't look like Karloff at all. More Lon Chaney Jnr. :lol:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"This place is definitely much richer for having Jim as a member."
I absolutely agree when it comes to reviews and other tobacco related issues, but I fail to see the usefulness of anyone broadcasting that they are smoking X brand of tobacco in a Y brand pipe at three o'clock in the afternoon whilst reading the newspaper.
I have looked at the 'What Are You Smoking' thread purely out of curiosity and to me it is totally pointless. I fail to see what difference it can possibly make to a reader if a particular poster is smoking Union Square or Irish Flake.
Does it make the reader suddenly rush out and buy the particular blend that member X is smoking?
Regards,
Jay.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Mawnansmiff: a lot of people have bought blends based on reading that thread. Many, many times, I've been asked in private message about a blend I had listed as smoking there. Sometimes, my answer has caused them to buy (or not buy) it. This happens to other folks here, too, in various degrees. The WAYS thread is a record on our smoking habits and interests that does pique the curiosity of a number of members. It's a part of the internet cafe where fellow pipe smokers get together and talk - or at least mention - what they smoke, just like we would in a pipe shop. It's interesting to others, and very helpful to some wanting to explore and learn about what is liked and maybe disliked, too. It's not a bragging thread, or at least I never thought of it as one. I can't imagine anybody thinks they are doing so when they post. While it may seem pointless to you, it is beneficial to some as a learning tool, and if nothing else, a friendly place to hang out and compare what we are smoking with others in the brotherhood. And to those of us hanging out on that thread, it's just plain fun. If your mileage varies, well, there's tons more here to hold the interest of members, old and new alike, as you already know. What works for some doesn't work for others, but much that happens here creates a diversity not seen elsewhere.
Al: Thank you. M'lady is very patient with me.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"While it may seem pointless to you, it is beneficial to some as a learning tool..."
Thanks for the detailed explanation Jim. If it is indeed beneficial to some then obviously that is no bad thing, just not my cup of tea.
I personally like to choose new blends to try by reading the reviews on Tobaccoreviews.com (your own included) or by suggestions from folks who have a rough idea of where my tastes lie rather than be swayed simply by what someone else is smoking.
"but much that happens here creates a diversity not seen elsewhere."
That is very true and something I appreciate very much.
Regards,
Jay.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
jiminks2-600x398.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Great photo, Dave! Did you make it?
Jim is an essential element of the culture here at PipesMagazine. His knowledge, humor and friendship are an intrinsic part of what makes this a great place to be for pipe smokers.
Onwards to 20,000!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Great photo, Dave! Did you make it?
No, the article with these excellent photos is here,
http://www.greensboro.com/1808greensboro/people/pipe-works-q-a-with-local-pipe-tobacco-connoisseur/article_33fb9a6e-0338-11e5-88bd-d76b7d7c9634.html?mode=story

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am surprised he is still alive after all the prototype War Horse Bar we fed the poor fellow! At least he didn't eat it unlike some wing nut did in one of our tasting sessions :rofl:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Simon: I even smoked all the prototypes back to back with the original each time you sent me one, as I did with the official release. They say I should stop glowing any day now! :oops:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wow that's amazing. I do have to say Jim you're my favorite reviewer and I always check for your review on new blends I'm thinking of trying.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Jim, keep posting and keep reviewing. I like both. If I'm stuck, I know I read your WAYS thread and get inspiration. I'm registered with TobaccoReviews.com so that when I visit and login my favorites pop to the top....that's where you and Pipestud are. You've provided me invaluable insight into not only the baccy, but how you prep and smoke it as well.
THANK YOU! :clap:

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Congrats to Jim. You managed to achieve that post count mostly talking about tobaccos. I enjoy your posts and look forward to more

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I confess I'm in awe of / slightly scared by the volume of tobacco Jim smokes, but I agree with Dan (woodsroad) and others that his reviews and notes on what he's smoking are a valuable tool for those looking to expand their knowledge of tobacco. Jim has been a cornerstone in the development of my palette and many of the blends I now enjoy were first mentioned by Jim. Also - as others have said - Jim has taken the time to PM me with suggestions of blends he thinks I would like based on my posts. That kindness is rare, especially on the internet. The fact that I generally follow Jim's advice is a sign of something more important - I trust him. We've never met (yet) but we have a friendship that has grown from a shared interest and contributions from both sides. Jim is one of a group of men with whom I'm glad and proud to correspond on PM.com and that is something for which I'm very grateful. My life is better for Jim's efforts and that is the best compliment I can give.
Andy

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Is there anything out there JimInks has not smoked yet?
I mean tobacco, of course. :wink:
EDIT: And why all the pictures of Boris Karloff? I didn't know Karloff was an illustrator.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Andy: I greatly thank you for the kind words. I'm glad I have been of such help to you, and I always shall do that. You are a good guy, one of the best on this forum. And I have always been very appreciative of the tobaccos you have gifted me, the majority of which were new to me. I also thank the other folks who chimed in with good words after my last posted thank you.
Ophiuchus: Oh, there's lot of tobaccos I haven't tried. There's over 6,000 blends listed at TR.com, and I suspect I'll fall waaaaayyyyyyyyy short of getting all that done. Btw, Karloff could cartoon a little. Wonder what pipe tobacco he smoked?

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Is there anything out there JimInks has not smoked yet?
The feeling I get when I'm reading about a new (to me) pipe tobacco and I don't see a JimInks review: Uncharted territory.
6a00d8341ca4d953ef01bb07e6f625970d-pi

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Funny this thread has popped up---- a while back I noted mso's 15,000 posts and thought wow! What does it take to get to that number? I think I estimated about 11 posts a day, every day, 7 days a week for every month since he joined. That is some serious posting. I just ran a fast check and to get to Jiminks 19,000 posts since he joined (about a year earlier) you'd have to post about 12 posts a day! Roughly. So it appears that mso is right in there right on track and now it is only a question of whose keyboard will give out first. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.