PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

occidentalist

Lurker
Sep 17, 2024
I find the Old Boy tampers to be almost useless. It's just so small, but I guess it is better than nothing in a pinch.

Amen. How they thought putting an absurdly small screw in the bottom to secure the tamper was a good design choice is beyond me. Do they seriously expect a pipe smoker to unscrew/rescrew before and after every smoke session? I carry a czech tool but leave the screw out of the bottom of the OB in the off-chance I forget/lose my czech tool. I'm not hard on my gear and the tamper has never been in danger of falling out without the screw there.

I'd love an XL version of an old boy. Maybe an inch longer and 1/8 thicker while keeping the mechanicals as-is would considerably increase the butane reservoir without having to make major changes to the lighter itself.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Looks legit to me, I have a Chinese made Rattrays branded pipe lighter and its been going strong the past year or so Ive been using it.

Reactions: Roach1

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
Those lighters seem pretty good for someone looking to save a bit, Bradley of “Stuff and things” on YouTube said his was lasting…. A lot of people also report Kiribi’s and old boys breaking too, but they do have good warrenties…

But if you’re looking to buy a good one, do you waste money on a cheapie first that breaks or just use that towards a brand name. I don’t mind cheap Chinese knockoffs, I’ve had good luck, but for higher end items I’d buy brand name.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
The one odd thing about it is that while it lights every time the flame begins small and at about the 3 second mark grows to be where I had the flame size set. No sputtering or shrinking back and forth. All the air was gone when filled. Its clean...Its just a little sleepy. Ive gotten used to it and its actually kind of convienient. By the time the flame is full size I have it aimed into the chamber lol.

I have a real Old Boy coming in today. I bought this one on impulse and afterwards decided Id like to actually have a nice and robust item. But again, for 12 bucks (price recently lowered to 10 bucks) I dont think I got hurt. This one will probably go in the pipe carry bag. I also think they would make great gifts for newbie smokers. Its not a lot to spend if they dont stick to it and if they do it works long enough for them to know if they want to make an investment.

Years ago I had a Xikar old boy style. The thing leaked over and over. I think I sent it back to the factory two times before I gave up. They were also pretty inexpensive at the time.

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Well I got the real (IM Corona) Old Boy in and of course there is no comparison though the cheapo still works and isnt bad. The Old Boy works flawlessly from the first step. The knock off is more a copy from a Dunhill verison, not the IM Corona. Its similiar but there are a number of very distinct design difference.

The Jif will be religated to the downstairs for outdoor pipeing and travel. It still beats my disposables.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
The French love their luxuries and so many French have given up smoking (a pack of cigarettes is around 12 bucks now). Of course they are made in France so there are literally decades of unused Dupon lighters laying around.

You can pick one up in working order for around a hundred bucks for a ligne 1. If its really nice a little more. If its got signs of wear around 75. There are pages of them in French online classifieds. There is a small cottage industry for folks grabbing them and doing repairs.
@Sigmund Good that the French are kicking the cigarette habit:) I'm always finding cigarette butts when litter picking - they're everywhere. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that smoking rates have fallen here in UK...

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
At 12 bucks a pack folks cant afford it. Those that live near the border of Spain or go there can bring back cigs at a reasonable cost. Last I knew it was a little under 5 per individual pack. If I go to Spain I will usually pick up a pack but I dont really enjoy them. One pack reminds me of that.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I recently picked up one of these JiFeng lighters (with Oriental design), and I've been using it as my primary lighter for the last 2 months. I bought it off ebay for $16, and figured I'd see what happens. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it works. It's a solid lighter so far, and I've got no complaints.

Reactions: Sigmund