Jaw Dropping Pipe Auction Coming in May from Taurus Auctions!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just read the description on all of the estate Knudsen's and the condition listed was the same on every pipe. I find it hard to believe that every single one was in the exact same shape. If it is true then whoever owned them smoked them on a regular basis which is fine as they are meant to be smoked. I have trouble believing every pipe is in the exact same condition.

I started looking at the Eltang's and the ones I read were in the same condition as the Knudsen's. Maybe the same guy owned all of the Knudsen's and Eltang's, that would be one hell of a collection.

It could just be that every estate pipe gets the same description, no matter what the real condition is? Are there return policies on these pipes and if so what are the costs of sending one back? Or could it be you buy it, you own it and there are no refunds?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just read the description on all of the estate Knudsen's and the condition listed was the same on every pipe. I find it hard to believe that every single one was in the exact same shape. If it is true then whoever owned them smoked them on a regular basis which is fine as they are meant to be smoked. I have trouble believing every pipe is in the exact same condition.

I started looking at the Eltang's and the ones I read were in the same condition as the Knudsen's. Maybe the same guy owned all of the Knudsen's and Eltang's, that would be one hell of a collection.

It could just be that every estate pipe gets the same description, no matter what the real condition is? Are there return policies on these pipes and if so what are the costs of sending one back? Or could it be you buy it, you own it and there are no refunds?
Auction descriptions tend to be brief. If you want more you need to contact them and make a request. Also, check out the terms of service. With most auction houses, you bought it, you own it, unless you can prove that there was a serious quantifiable legally recognized error in the listing. Also, you will be charged a surcharge by the auction house, usually running about 20%, for their cost of holding the auction. It's not like eBay where the seller gets charged.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Auction descriptions tend to be brief. If you want more you need to contact them and make a request. Also, check out the terms of service. With most auction houses, you bought it, you own it, unless you can prove that there was a serious quantifiable legally recognized error in the listing. Also, you will be charged a surcharge by the auction house, usually running about 20%, for their cost of holding the auction. It's not like eBay where the seller gets charged.
Thanks for the info Jesse. Makes my decision easy.

Yup 18% so don't forget that in your bidding decisions. puffy

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Maybe the same guy owned all of the Knudsen's and Eltang's, that would be one hell of a collection
I would also like to know how these are put together. Seems unlikely to come from just one source, but who knows?

I was surprised to see how many of the Eltang pipes had missing stems and cracked shanks.

I have a few of his pipes, and I find them to be excellent pipes. They just feel good in the hand to me, more than most other pipes I've owned, and all smoke excellent, no matter what the shape.

But... I broke a pencil shank in half and cracked the bowl in one shot while reaming... Didn't think I was being overly forceful.

Another with a bamboo shank developed a split.

I ate shit on the pencil shank and bought a different one, because I figured it was just my problem for not being careful enough with a delicate design, but I did return the bamboo shank pipe and he made it right without question.

Just interesting to see so many issues with stems and shanks in this auction. Maybe it's just one owner who beats the shit out of his pipes like I do.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would also like to know how these are put together. Seems unlikely to come from just one source, but who knows?

I was surprised to see how many of the Eltang pipes had missing stems and cracked shanks.

I have a few of his pipes, and I find them to be excellent pipes. They just feel good in the hand to me, more than most other pipes I've owned, and all smoke excellent, no matter what the shape.

But... I broke a pencil shank in half and cracked the bowl in one shot while reaming... Didn't think I was being overly forceful.

Another with a bamboo shank developed a split.

I ate shit on the pencil shank and bought a different one, because I figured it was just my problem for not being careful enough with a delicate design, but I did return the bamboo shank pipe and he made it right without question.

Just interesting to see so many issues with stems and shanks in this auction. Maybe it's just one owner who beats the shit out of his pipes like I do.
The first couple of auctions were from a single collection. Later ones may be from more than one collection. A generation of collectors are falling off the twig and their collections are getting auctioned off.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Anyone have experience with past auctions? Is there a mad rush in the last hour/minutes?

I have prices in mind for a few that I wouldn't go above, so I'm more of a set the price and wake up the next morning to the news kind of a guy.

There's just one in there that may tempt me a little higher, if I sense a small margin between getting it and not.

Interested to know how previous auctions have played out.

Reactions: sgarrity

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
The first couple of auctions were from a single collection. Later ones may be from more than one collection.
A lot of the Eltang pieces seem to be from a buying spree in 2007 or so. Some outliers, but that's the date that sticks in mind on thinking of what I saw.

Interesting that the previous collections were from a single collector. I didn't pay much attention to those, but this group caught my eye. Impressive if this came from one person. That's quite a stash... I haven't seen an Anne Julie estate yet, so perhaps I will go for it. Maybe not.

Reactions: sgarrity