PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Looks great Javan! You should call them Javantargas ?. The tobacco you get is rolling ready or should you make a minipillon and let it ferment a bit more? If you have the opportunity try to let them age a bit, you might even try a small tupperdore with some bovedas and open the Tupperware everyday for some fresh air.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
You've picked up the art in a hurry; you must have a talent for it. I can see the leaves breaking, cracking, and bundling, and ending up with no draw at all. Your cigars look like the premium product, apparently on the first few tries. Wow. A good fictional account of professional cigar rolling appears in James Weldon Johnson's "Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man," which is not JWJ's autobiography, but a novel. However it is clear that the author had experience in a commercial cigar rolling operation. Among other things, he described how the factory let one of the cigar rollers read to the group to break the monotony. His dates were 1871-1938, so this was probably how it was done in the 1920's or thereabouts.
Thanks for the great info @mso489. In some factories they are still keeping that tradition alive, "lectores" reading books to cigar rollers. It is said that Montecristo brand name was born that way, the rollers liked the novel so much, that they asked the reader to read the book again and again.

Splendid work and illustrations thereof! Almost makes me wish I really liked cigars!

Really easy, rolling a fine smoker. I've seen it done. Probably one every 4-5 minutes. But, then, maybe the fact the torcedor has done many thousands in his or her lifetime might make a wee difference! ?

A newbie cigar roller has to roll 100 cigars on his first day, only after that his cigars are considered well enough to smoke. Rolling 100 cigars is no joke, I have rolled 10 cigars so far (and some cigarillos), go figure out.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Thank you for starting and keeping this thread going. I love watching your journey and have even considered doing it myself, just for fun. They would make great gifts!

Thanks for the kind words @CoffeeAndBourbon. You should definitely try. I am keeping this thread going to encourage those who are hesitant about starting.

Looks great Javan! You should call them Javantargas ?. The tobacco you get is rolling ready or should you make a minipillon and let it ferment a bit more? If you have the opportunity try to let them age a bit, you might even try a small tupperdore with some bovedas and open the Tupperware everyday for some fresh air.

Javantargas, or maybe Javan y Julieta, haha. It is fermented and aged tobacco according to the vendor.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Great thread! I jumped in full force and ordered a ton of sample tobacco to try, should be in mid next week. So excited to get rolling. Done a lot of research and am really surprised and maybe because I am pipe smoker but home rollers rarely discuss blends and flavor profiles, its mostly about the rolling. Either way looks like a fun and rewarding journey!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Great thread! I jumped in full force and ordered a ton of sample tobacco to try, should be in mid next week. So excited to get rolling. Done a lot of research and am really surprised and maybe because I am pipe smoker but home rollers rarely discuss blends and flavor profiles, its mostly about the rolling. Either way looks like a fun and rewarding journey!

Congrats. Let us know the results.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Congrats. Let us know the results.
Ugh, Both my orders are 30 minutes away sitting at a post office and now I have to wait till Monday lol. I'll be sure to let you know and I ask the same of you. Btw how do yours taste? Do you think its possible to make a cigar that would taste as good or better that the typical premium?

Reactions: jvnshr

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Do you think its possible to make a cigar that would taste as good or better that the typical premium?

Short answer is no. Whatever you do, you are not going to roll anything as smooth as a Cuban or non-Cuban cigar. The quality of the leaf plays a great role here. But I can assure you that you are going to enjoy every moment of it and the end result will taste like the best cigar in this world. If you can get your hands on some quality tobacco (which is not easy to find), then the answer is maybe.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Javan—this is inspiring. I went to a cigar event a little while back on the Fort Hamilton Army Base in Brooklyn during the summer and there was a guy rolling cigars quite quickly for the attendees to purchase (they smoked okay). The wrappers were quite moist and supple, resulting in a pretty smooth looking cigar. I'm going to have to try my hand at this someday. I've got a bunch of pipes i need to make before diving into yet another aspect of a pastime, You seem like you're having a fun journey and it's wonderful to see. You've motivated me to eventually try rolling my own.

Reactions: jvnshr and jpmcwjr