PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Yellowmello

Lurker
Aug 11, 2022
Im new to storing tobacco and i heard packing it tight in a mason jar is the best way. The jars i bought look too big for the tobacco i have. Is there a way to fix it like putting it in a airtight ziplock bag in the jar?

Attachments

• 952CAB98-9076-4022-BAA0-24AFC4D41FE5.jpeg
    952CAB98-9076-4022-BAA0-24AFC4D41FE5.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 26

Yellowmello

Lurker
Aug 11, 2022
Ok thanks i just heard its bad to have too much air. I have another tobacco that’s about half as much ,do you think it will be ok in this size jar still?
Also was gonna say I thought it looked fine. Had to make sure I was reading your question right because I saw nothing wrong with this at all

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have another tobacco that’s nearly half this amount. Will this still be ok in this size jar? I heard its bad to have air in the jar?
First I've heard that unless you're jarring aromatics. Some swear there has to be air in there to promote aging. Unless you're planning on putting it up for months or years, it should be fine.

Yellowmello

Lurker
Aug 11, 2022
Packing tightly in a mason jar is perfect for long term storage of bulk tobacco but what your going to use on a regular basis only needs a covered container stored out of direct sunlight.
I have another tobacco i like more so i only smoke this occasionally so i hope it stays fresh for a couple of months

Yellowmello

Lurker
Aug 11, 2022
Packing tightly in a mason jar is perfect for long term storage of bulk tobacco but what your going to use on a regular basis only needs a covered container stored out of direct sunlight.
Yeah i thought putting it in a ziplock in the jar could help it stay fresher but i haven’t heard of anyone doing that

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No need to put a Ziplock inside a well sealed jar.

As to how long a bag or tin will stay at the proper moisture level depends on where you live. Most likely just fine.

Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: Streeper541

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
I remember my father and grandfather being pipe smokers and they both kept their tobacco in a jar in the den/parlor with a lid that wasn't very tight. This was never a problem for them. When I started smoking a pipe in the early 60's I never thought about how to store my tobacco. Looking back over this time the one thing that has had a huge impact is climate controlled environment, central heating & cooling. I jpmcwjr nailed it with noting where you live is a factor most overlooked. My tobacco that I kept out in my shop, no A/C, always seemed to just right...

Anybody else notice this?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I had some BBF i got that was very dry, not musty smelling or mummy dust, just much dryer than I’m used to to the point i bought a mister bottle and dime distilled water to rehydrate it, before that i loaded a pipe up to try it, smoked perfect, sealed the jar back up and left it alone. Made me think of @Chasing Embers say he likes to smoke it very dry.

When they say dry it more than you think you need to, they are right YMMV