PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
I keep all my blends in jars regardless of what it is. I noticed that one of them which is a black Cavendish appears to have moisture fogging the inside of the jar. Is this indicative of some sort of fermentation? It seems you would need a level of heat inside to cause the moisture to form on the relative cool glass surface. It smells ok but its too dark of a leaf to see if any mold growing.
Any thoughts?
Bacterially speaking, its like there is a respiration going on which would cause production of C02 and H20.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The only time I've experienced "jar fog" is when a jar has been exposed to either direct light or left in my truck. Both things heat up the jar.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
Mostly likely it means that the temperature of the tobacco has increased since you jarred it and some of the moisture has vaporized and then condensed on the walls of the jar. Cellar your tobacco in a cool place and you won't see this.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Is it actual water droplets or more of a hazy film?
I’ve heard of aromatics, especially cavendish based leaving a film on the inside of a jar. Fairly common I believe and the general consensus was that it wasn’t anything to worry about.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Jar fog is a mental thing. Buy tins and it goes away. In all seriousness, I second the glycol and heat notions. What you can't see can't kill you. Right? At least, a little won't. It'll taste bad though.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
I guess it may be the glycol as it is kind of a goopy blend. I did a microscopic exam of an emulsified sample and don't really see anything unusual. Some bacteria, but nothing remarkable under a 2k power. But its really tasty! I wiped it out and will wait and see.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I had a jar of ODF that hazed up after a few weeks sealed up. Definitely wasn’t water droplets, but something else. My brother said some of his jars of Sutliff Aros had some haze in them too.
I recently reopened my ODF (about 9 months in the cellar) to smoke a bit and the haze has dissipated, almost impossible to tell. My thought is it is some kind of oils from the tobacco. I’d take that over the couple jars that had mold in them any day of the week!

Status
Not open for further replies.