SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
Hi All - Recently I bought a lightly used Savinelli and the it smelled sour and ashy. It had very little if any cake and I lightly scrapped and sanded the bowl and cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. Still smelled. So I sanded a little more and soaked with Jameson for several hours. To my delight she sweetened up nicely. It remains to be seen if she smokes sour and needs more cleaning but I am happy for now.

Next time a large grain salt and Everclear soak overnight (or I usually like to do a whole day) will do the trick without adding extra flavor - obviously you can substitute the Everclear with any high alc % drink of your liking.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Corn liquor or grain?
Corn for cobs, of course.

Jameson for Petes, gin for Britwoods, Sambucca or grappa for Italians, cognac or Eau de vie for French, Bourbon or rye for Americans, vodka for Russians, Mao tai for Chinese, Aquavit for Danish.

What else can anyone think of ?
Thinking of use in cleaning PIPES, of course ?

• Haha
Reactions: Dudditz

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia

Jameson for Petes, gin for Britwoods, Sambucca or grappa for Italians, cognac or Eau de vie for French, Bourbon or rye for Americans, vodka for Russians, Mao tai for Chinese, Aquavit for Danish.

Bundaberg for gumnuts?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Bundaberg for gumnuts?
Oh no.

Bunderberg was what turned me off rum for almost 40 years. I still suppress an involuntary shudder everytime I walk past their display at the liquor store.

Beenleigh is preferable.
Inner Circle has not been distilled in Australia for over a decade. It is now a Fijian product.
Quite a few Johnny-come-latelies (which I have yet to sample) since the renewed interest in rum/Rhum these past few years.

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey

Sake for a Kiseru? (yeah I had to Google that...)

Reactions: OzPiper