PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bron340

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 16, 2019
Minot, ND
Thank you all for such the fantastic topic! I found it while looked for information regarding dating of James Upshall pipes and received answers almost to all my questions and a lot of valuable details about Upshall, Charatans and people who were being created those legends. And I was absolutely excited reading reminescenses of Mr. Barnes.

I'd like to add to the thread pictures of my own Tilshead. Though, it's rather a project "recover-your-own-Tilshead" - I had to recover the burnout on the bottom, reshape the rim and patch a few less noticeable chips around the bowl. Nevertheless the pipe smokes very nice!

View attachment 47858View attachment 47859View attachment 47860View attachment 47861View attachment 47862View attachment 47863
Nice work, that's too nice a pipe to not save!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and vlodko

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
From the British magazine/pamphlet "PIPE LINE" 1983 No 46 pg 12 . Interview of, under the Young Pipemakers
heading, Kennedy George Upshall Barnes of the Tilshead Pipe Co!
View attachment 48815
I will try to get a good scan of it tomorrow not just this phone pic.
My word! This is weird. I think I remember this 'interview' was made in Solihull at the AITS show. In this year, I kept explaining that my ancestor's name was James Archimedes Upshall. My mother, at the time, read one of these articles and asked what are you saying here? Your Great grandfather's name was James Archelaus Upshall - so I need to correct this now! He was an amazing cabinet maker who made some really beautiful stuff.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Here is a better version from an actual scanner. Jacques P. Cole was the editor of Pipe Line and 3 consultants listed as D.D. Merton, C.R. McConnell, and J.W. Sanderson so I wondered if one of them actually did the interview.
Well, it was not Mick or Ken McConnell and it wasn't Derek Merton because he never really spoke to me as I think he was an extremely busy man and quite important too! So it must have been J.W. Sanderson who I am not familiar with. :)

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Found this on Ebay sometime back. Sullivan Powell was a tobacco-pipe store in London years ago. I saw the engraving "Made by Hand" which looked suspiciously like an Upshall/Tilshead pipe. Paid more for the postage than the pipe! Ken Barnes has commented that Upshall did indeed make house pipes for Sullivan Powell and this was a good example. Cleaned up pretty well. Hoppes

Before
Sullivan Powell 3.jpg
Sullivan Powell 4.jpg

After
IMG_1085.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Found this on Ebay sometime back. Sullivan Powell was a tobacco-pipe store in London years ago. I saw the engraving "Made by Hand" which looked suspiciously like an Upshall/Tilshead pipe. Paid more for the postage than the pipe! Ken Barnes has commented that Upshall did indeed make house pipes for Sullivan Powell and this was a good example. Cleaned up pretty well. Hoppes

Before
View attachment 50026
View attachment 50027

After
View attachment 50029
View attachment 50030
You have brought this one back really well! Yes, the briar used to make this piece was from the Arta Company, Arta, Greece. We bought some MFF 4-5 cross grain blocks (extra long ebauchon blocks) from this saw mill in order to fill a huge demand for the Canadian shape at the time. This one needed to be 'cut back' due to a flaw on the shank. I loved going to Sullivan Powell in The Burlington Arcade as the manager there, Harry Horrowitz was as passionate about pipes as I was. He used to sell lots of Upshalls too & high grade straight grains. We had some great times talking with customers and I always walked out of there with a big order!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and bent1

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I loved the old Burlington Arcade. Do you recall what the max. Number of tobacconists in the arcade? IIRC, there were three when I first went there 50 years ago.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Here is one of mine. It has James Upshall in an oval and a P one one side and Tilshead, next line England, next line Made By Hand.

View attachment 50168View attachment 50169View attachment 50170View attachment 50170View attachment 50168View attachment 50169View attachment 50170

I like this 'P' grade. The date of this one is after 1981 (I think) and before 1983. The stamp marks have been 'stamped' rather than engraved but not stamped by hand because the pressure is too consistent in my opinion. I bought the stamping machine we used from Sasieni in 1981 I think. In 1983 or maybe early 1984, our USA agents (Pete Siegel) had the idea of using a pantograph machine to engrave the Upshall name and logo which we started doing then. At the time, he and his brother had a pipe-store in Long Island and they used this type of engraving machine to engrave Zippo lighters etc for gifts. Pete had the idea of trying it out on a basket pipe which he did and it works so well that nowadays quite a few pipe-makers use this method.