SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 1, 2012
Some of us are aware that James May, formerly of Top Gear, smoked a pipe on the show once. I thought it might be an isolated incident. There have been some other threads spotlighting his pipe smoking and I believe it's time for another one.

A video popped up on my Youtube feed for Foodtribe, a sister program of Drivetribe. Interestingly enough, there's a video of Mr. May smoking a pipe. Good for him. Just looked at the rest of the video and it looks like a Porsche pipe...how dare he...:ROFLMAO: Doesn't he know how terrible they supposedly are?

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Although it's always good to see a celebrity pipe smoker but why can't it be someone cool like Daniel Craig?

I mean, who would look at that pompous doofus James May and think "Wow, he looks so cool I think I'll get myself a pipe"? said no one ever.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Although it's always good to see a celebrity pipe smoker but why can't it be someone cool like Daniel Craig?

I mean, who would look at that pompous doofus James May and think "Wow, he looks so cool I think I'll get myself a pipe"? said no one ever.

Jeremy Clarkson. Just so they could race and see who could finish a bowl off first.

• Haha
Reactions: chopper
Aug 1, 2012
Can't speak for the pipes but the cars are amazing. My father is the original owner of a 1970 911T and 1988 911 Carrera. I own a 1986 911 Carrera, 1988 944 and a 1987.5 928S. I drove a 1974 914 in High School. I missed the Porsche pipe on BRB today. Not the best looking pipes, but I might just have to get one to go with the cars.
My dad was a VW mechanic many years ago and was called upon by the Porsche guys in the surrounding area. Partly because he was good at what he did and partially because the 60s-70s Porsches used the same specialty tools. That gave me a love of the cars early on even though I've never actually driven one. For a few years we owned a 914 and a 912 but both of them went to new owners when they offered more than my dad could say no to. For a while my dream car was a 928 GTS (or any 928 to be honest) but that has gone away since the prices went through the roof. I got my first Porsche pipe since I loved the brand but it smoked well enough for me that I have sought out a couple more. You can get a better pipe for the money, yes. However for me the experience makes it worth it.

Reactions: Jwebb90

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
UK Top Gear is a shadow of what it once was, without the chemistry and banter of May, Hammond and Clarkson it was never the same.
True. I know Jezza was having a bad year but BBC cut him a heck of a lot more slack than he deserved. A lot of people blame the company, but his cashiering was his own damn fault.

That said, *&* the fact that the current crew is nowhere near as funny, I did like the bit where they dropped the guy off the dam from a crane!

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Can't speak for the pipes but the cars are amazing. My father is the original owner of a 1970 911T and 1988 911 Carrera. I own a 1986 911 Carrera, 1988 944 and a 1987.5 928S. I drove a 1974 914 in High School. I missed the Porsche pipe on BRB today. Not the best looking pipes, but I might just have to get one to go with the cars.
I had a 74 914 in college. Great little car that was so fun to drive. Not really fast, but it could out handle most cars of the day

Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I had a 74 914 in college. Great little car that was so fun to drive. Not really fast, but it could out handle most cars of the day
They are such fun cars. I auto crossed mine a few summers. Proved no match for the Lotus Eupoas. Mine was Zambese green with a tan interior. Named it Kermit. Looked like a frog with the headlights up. A lotbof good memories with that car. It had character, as do the people fortunate enough to experience one.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon