PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've been distracted by other things lately, like making youtube videos, but I need to get out this review of Jack Lee's (pipeinhand) Honey Malt. I last reported on the Summer Sangria that I enjoyed while drinking some Blackberry Mead on my porch and remarking upon how well it paired but wasn't a tobacco for every man.
If there is to ba a polar opposite of that, it would be Honey Malt. Jack told me that in designing the blend he wanted the Honey to be the main taste, but didn't want just another "Honey and Chocolate". I'm a fan of Altadis Honey 206 and Lane's mighty 1-Q and this blend takes the best of those worlds and unites them with the superior quality we have all come to expect from our friend pipeinhand.
The pouch note is reminiscent of some of my meads that I malted and still brewed sweet and syrupy, as a high-gravity dessert type wine. You get a hint of chocolate, like when you buy a vanilla malt (for those who remember what those are) and a hypnotic honey smell. Being a mead man, I can attest to the belief that honey is itself a magickal thing and literally has a life of its own so the pouch note of Honey Malt was right in my world!
The tobacco did need drying and an hour on a paper towel did the trick as I folded laundry and finished some things before walking the dogs. Walking two active small dogs is a great way to see if a tobacco will threaten to burn, as keeping them from attacking cats and larger dogs takes a bit of effort.
In addition to dog walking, I smoked this blend in several briars, a cob and a Meerschaum and what you take from it differs with each experience.
At the charring light, the malty, chocolate taste makes an immediate appearance and on the true light, the honey really starts to sing. In the Meerschaum the honey was loud and proud and made the smoke very sweet. There was a little more balance in the briar and it was in the briar, sitting in my desolate hide-out on the roof that I discovered the most amazing thing. The round smoke and the predominant taste of the honey was joined by a room note that was so damned familiar! If I could not taste the honey and simply walked into the room, I would swear there were a room full of guys smoking Lane 1-Q! The chocolate malt and another flavor that seemed like vanilla or spiced rum reminded me of my very favorite part of my favorite bargain smoke! This is not to downplay the quality of Jack's blend, in fact, I found it so enjoyable that I lit this stuff up just about every night at work and even shared some with simnettpratt and UApiper so I could see if I wasn't just going crazy.
Add to the great olfactory experience with the smooth taste of honey that came with every puff, becoming darker, smokier and more malty toward the end of the bowl and I would say that Jack may have inadvertently created and every-man, every-day smoke that I like better than Halfling's Leaf! Imagine the marriage of a premium version of 1-Q and your favorite honey blend with a heavenly room note and a sweet taste that stays on your lips like a well-made creme' brulee' and you have Honey Malt!
The best has gotten even better! I wonder if he will swap me for another bottle of mead...

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I just received some today in the mail and will give it a test run tomorrow hopefully.

vdubguy18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2012
Im extremely excited to give this a try. I just got home to find my package from Jack Lee (pipeinhand). I not only got this but his other three blends as well. So I will be sure to chime in about this as I plan to smoke it tomorrow.
Also GREAT customer service and response/shipping time by Jack!!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That is what really struck me about this blend. It was like an A-Ha! Moment. When I started smoking in the O-Club, I smoked CBR and later 1-Q. The chocolate tone from those smokes came rushing back with Honey Malt along with that wonderful honey taste. You got a good one here. Seriously.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
vanilla malt
Can't find a malt shake just anywhere these days.
And the only reason why I haven't tried all four of pipeinhand's blends is my lack of greenbacks. That's how impressed I was with Halfling's Leaf.

Nov 27, 2012
This is my first time posting in the forum. Honestly, it's because of this forum that my love for pipe smoking has deepened and my knowledge has grown. And it was reviews of Honey Malt that made me order it! I bought only a couple oz cause I didn't know what to expect, but it was everything that reviews above have said. Thank you guys for turning me onto this awesome (and now my favorite go to) tobacco. Kudos to Jack Lee Blends and the suggestions from all of you!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Glad you like it. pipeinhand does some very interesting stuff with aromatics and Honey Malt is thus far my favorite of all of them.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
I have been smoking this blend for a week now and also highly recommend it. What I love most about Jack Lee's blends is how well they burn without need to relight right to the bottom of the bowl.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Add another to my list for Tobaccos want to try.
Speaking of your Youtube videos, now that I've watched a few, I always imagine your voice narrating your posts. :D

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
info@jackleeblend.com Just send him an email and let him know what and how much of it you want. Here's my report on JLB's Yule Pudding, which also contains discussion about Honey Malt and other blends, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zugnO98rWcs

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Having Baron say that he likes this better than Halfling's Leaf is high praise indeed! I love HL so this

means that my next order will have to be some Honey Malt! Thanks for the great review.

oldpops41

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2012
info@jackleeblend.com does not work when i click on it any other suggestions this really sounds good.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
That just the email address. Shoot him an email and you will get ordering info.

ravenranger

Lurker
Feb 15, 2016
Here's a few thoughts on Honey Malt received February 2016:
Opening the bag is like taking a deep breath of freshly brewed sweet tea at that moment when the sugar and tea are in the jug and the hot water is getting poured over. The toasting light delivers more of that wonderful, Southern summertime sweet tea flavor. The true light reveals a creamy smoke that develops into a rich custard with hints of cocoa, cinnamon, raisin and a bit of toasted rice. Around half way through the bowl, a strong caramel note comes to the forefront with slight citrus overtone that almost feels like a cup of Earl Grey Tea with plenty of honey. The very pleasant room note has a sweet vanilla tone reminiscent of baking cookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.