PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I'd seen a few of the posts from @chasingembers and thought the pipes were pretty cool. Didn't really think I'd be looking at something custom, but in searching for some interesting possibilities as Christmas gifts for my girls with a Dickens Christmas Carol theme I ran across someone who makes old coins into rings, saw a half crown that had been made into one and just like that an idea came to mind. So, I contacted @cramptholomew and things went from there. He worked the ring into the design, the top of the bowl is to harken a lump of coal and although not a "true" author type (no expert here on pipe styles), I think it is a more substantial version of an author and was kind of going for that as well and he came up with a beauty, IMO. He also fashioned a couple of tampers from a Ghost of Christmas Past looking "brand" I had made, here is a pic of one of them. Finally gave it a try today - it's a chunk, but not too heavy, and the bowl stays cool despite my beginner techniques, lol. Just thought I'd give a shout out and share some pics. Fun process.

Attachments

• 11D4D95A-FB33-4CAF-B212-A3C024A2E6D9.jpeg
    11D4D95A-FB33-4CAF-B212-A3C024A2E6D9.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 96B4C6FD-EB7E-426F-B0C1-518375FBB0B3.jpeg
    96B4C6FD-EB7E-426F-B0C1-518375FBB0B3.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 45
  • FC2E862F-5F18-4D91-A1B5-E6176387BCF5.jpeg
    FC2E862F-5F18-4D91-A1B5-E6176387BCF5.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 45

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd seen a few of the posts from @chasingembers and thought the pipes were pretty cool. Didn't really think I'd be looking at something custom, but in searching for some interesting possibilities as Christmas gifts for my girls with a Dickens Christmas Carol theme I ran across someone who makes old coins into rings, saw a half crown that had been made into one and just like that an idea came to mind. So, I contacted @cramptholomew and things went from there. He worked the ring into the design, the top of the bowl is to harken a lump of coal and although not a "true" author type (no expert here on pipe styles), I think it is a more substantial version of an author and was kind of going for that as well and he came up with a beauty, IMO. He also fashioned a couple of tampers from a Ghost of Christmas Past looking "brand" I had made, here is a pic of one of them. Finally gave it a try today - it's a chunk, but not too heavy, and the bowl stays cool despite my beginner techniques, lol. Just thought I'd give a shout out and share some pics. Fun process.
We talked when he was working on that one. He had a lot of fun with it.?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
We talked when he was working on that one. He had a lot of fun with it.?
I did as well - he's easy to work with and I liked how his ideas tracked with the general theme. It's really his creation more so than mine from a design point of view and that's how I wanted the process to go. Of course, he let me know what he was thinking, answered questions, etc. but final decisions were mine and I enjoyed sending emails that said, "that sounds great" because his suggestions were always good ones!

cramptholomew

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Maryland
www.instagram.com
I mixed the chunkiness of an author, with a big pot bowl. I felt that would be the best way to make the rim have the appearance of coal. Had I done an author bowl, there wouldn't be room. I was kind of traveling in the realm of the Mincer bullmoose, but a full variation on that style. I loved this project. I'm an ENORMOUS "A Christmas Carol" fan. I thought this a good mix of Cratchit and Lord Governor of London Himself. I was a little wary of the ring idea, at first, but once I saw it, I knew I could make it fit. I usually shy away from those kind of adornments, because they can get gaudy, but @HawkeyeLinus had a fantastic basic idea for me to work with. @HawkeyeLinus is guy to work with. Like @chasingembers, he gave me an idea, we fleshed it out, and then he let me run with it. I hope I brought his idea to fruition for him.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I mixed the chunkiness of an author, with a big pot bowl. I felt that would be the best way to make the rim have the appearance of coal. Had I done an author bowl, there wouldn't be room. I was kind of traveling in the realm of the Mincer bullmoose, but a full variation on that style. I loved this project. I'm an ENORMOUS "A Christmas Carol" fan. I thought this a good mix of Cratchit and Lord Governor of London Himself. I was a little wary of the ring idea, at first, but once I saw it, I knew I could make it fit. I usually shy away from those kind of adornments, because they can get gaudy, but @HawkeyeLinus had a fantastic basic idea for me to work with. @HawkeyeLinus is guy to work with. Like @chasingembers, he gave me an idea, we fleshed it out, and then he let me run with it. I hope I brought his idea to fruition for him.
Love it!

And hey, I know nothing about hand crafting a pipe - as a famous movie detective once said, "man's got to know his limitations". So pretty easy to just sit back and trust the artist. Due to the time element when I contacted him I knew going in it was unlikely that I'd see it by Christmas and that was okay, and wouldn't you know after a bit I got some pics, and some more pics, and some questions and he was determined to get that to me by Christmas. Would have, too, but FedEx totally f'd up the delivery - not his fault, and the bonus was I got to relax and enjoy it later. Even my wife thinks it's a thing of beauty.