PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
So, I've been lusting after a straight billiard for weeks now, and finally decided to treat myself to one. Being in the UK, the vast majority of online tobacconists are a bit of a pain for me (or, very long delivery times, at least!), so I ordered from a UK based one.
One in particular (who shall remain nameless, as he isn't a site sponsor) stocks Barber B-Line pipes, which are allegedly Dunhill seconds. It's not official from the tobacconist, but research online seems to point that way. Dunhill second bowls with acrylic stems.

This one has a small nick or chip where the draft hole enters the bowl, which could be the reason.
Here's a quick couple of pics (more in the link):

http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/jlvalentine/slideshow/Barber%20B-Line
It sure is a big bugger - I'm not familiar with Dunhill group sizes, but it must be a group four or five. This thing is a monster! I normally have to squash a MacB flake to get it to fit, but this swallowed it whole and came back wanting another.
First smoke was outstanding. Far better than either of my Petersons, which cost damn near twice as much.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Very nice, and it does have a Dunhill look to it. Barber has always had top notch house pipes. Les Woods used to produce the B line for them. I have a poker from them and, save the nomenclature, there is nothing in briar or silver quality to distinguish it from a Ferndown.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Joeval:
I'm not familiar with the J. Barber B line but I love the thick walls and blast. I hope this burner smokes cool and well for you.
Fnord

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Cheers folks.
I'm no expert, so there's no way I can confirm or deny the Dunhill rumours. Their webseite references "a famous London Pipe maker", so it could be all sorts. It just looks like a fairly classic billiard to me.
Only smoked one bowl so far, cool as anything. I'm not sure how much use my Pete will be getting now...!
If anyone's looking for a budget pipe, a B line is probably a safe bet. I'll certainly be in the market for another one at this rate.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Cheers guys.
On closer inspection, the stem could well be vulcanite rather than acrylic like I thought.
In other news, the outer finish of the bowl seems a wee bit sticky. Any ideas how to clean it up, without damaging the finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.