Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I'm new to this blend but really like it. It's made by Sutliff for Iwan Ries, and has been around since the 1950s. Tobacco Reviews lists it as an aromatic topped with licorice and vanilla, containing black cavendish, burley, Latakia, perique, and Virginia.

The burley and cavendish are the primary tobaccos I taste, and give a nutty taste. There's a hint of Latakia to give a little smokiness. I do not detect the vanilla/licorice topping. The perique was barely noticeable when I got part way through the bowl.

If you like American English blends you will probably like this, even though it's categorized as an aromatic. It's a very course cut blend, and seemed rather dry in the pouch (It's also available in 7 ounce cans, which should help prevent any dehydation prior to opening). It smoked easily with few relights. The closest tobacco I've had to this might be Lane's HGL, though there's more Virginia noticeable in HGL than in Three Star Blue. I plan on stocking up on Three Star Blue. I would recommend this for the proverbial all day smoke.

Tobacco Reviews | Iwan Ries - Three Star Blue - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/600#review113276

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
I'm not personally a big Three-Star Blue fan, though my father loves it and I pick it up for him pretty regularly.

I'm much more partial to their Old Colonial, which has similar base components, but for me behaves better, and has a better more-nuanced flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It took me a while, and a second pouch, to enjoy Three Star Blue, which the first round seemed a little harsh and prone to bite. I left it alone for a while, and when I came back to it, it had enough appeal that eventually (not right away) I ordered another pouch and let it sit for a while. When I finally got back to round two, I found it decidedly pleasant. Now I have an 8 ounce tin aging a good while and expect to enjoy it again eventually. Iwan Ries was my first online pipe and tobacco retailer. I grew up in the Chicago area before I smoked pipes, so I've never been there in person. It was near a big camera shop on Wabash where I did shop, bought my first SLR, an Exa. I have several good IR house pipes which were then sourced from Edwards/Benton made from oil cured Algerian briar. Current IR house pipes are by Genod.

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
My father used to love the blue and red three star. I'm just finally getting into pipes after taking three month to kick a 30 year one pack a day cigarette habit. I can live with smoking a pipe a few times a week. Can't wait to try both!

Reactions: anotherbob