PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Iwan Ries Three Star Blue is an old standard that lives quietly without adulation. I first tried it and found it a little harsh and didn't try it again for a few years. The second pouch was incredibly better. The blend is toasted burley and bright Virginia flake, with a touch of black Cavendish, Perique and Latakia, and its own special flavoring (anisette?). warren mentioned it as one of the blends he'd smoke back-to-back. It's good!

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I agree. It is one of the forgotten blends. I think it is like Mixture 79. You either love it or hate it. It has sustained, quietly (as you say) for many years because it can still attract a following. I had mixed feelings about it at first, but as the years went by and I would try it again, it seemed to get better every time. I am now one who can appreciate and like it. I've been wanting to try some other Iwan Ries tobaccos, but haven't done it yet. Maybe soon.

Reactions: anotherbob

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's been one of my three "go to" blends for ... forty plus years? I was at Northwestern for a seminar and stopped in to the store. It's always a satisfying smoke. I've been known, for no particular reason, to smoke it all day. It's just trustworthy, dependable.

They used to claim it was the best selling blend in the US, if memory serves. Sometimes, these days it doesn't.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I fell in love with one of its stablemates: 3-Star China Black Fire Cured. It was about the only aromatic I smoked in the 00’s. Haven’t had any for a couple years now, but wouldn’t turn down a pouch!

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's been one of my three "go to" blends for ... forty plus years? I was at Northwestern for a seminar and stopped in to the store. It's always a satisfying smoke. I've been known, for no particular reason, to smoke it all day. It's just trustworthy, dependable.

They used to claim it was the best selling blend in the US, if memory serves. Sometimes, these days it doesn't.
they claim it's the best selling private label (store blend). Which seems quite plausible.
Funny fact that's what I am going to be smoking on break got about two bowls left.
The thing is I don't like it straight out of the pouch but after a year or so in a jar it becomes kind of amazing.

Reactions: stogie37

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Iwan Ries Three Star Blue is one of the blends I have stocked up. I really like it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
One pouch has lasted me 5 years. It’s decent and does exactly what it’s supposed to do. Not bad but nothing I would restock up on.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I did visit IRC for the 1st time in Nov during a family trip...I was expecting a nice selection of Private Blends being the Oldest Establish Pipe Shop. While I spent a 1hr talking and purchasing 2 pipes and tobacco....L. J. Peretti has this in spades for Private Blends as I have been a customer since the 80's.