PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Butter Side Down

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Check out their flakes.
Bullseye and Luxury Twist Flake are obviously Peter Stokkebye. But still good and at a reasonable price.

IRC Virginia Flake is my favorite of the bunch. I've seen conflicting information on its origin. I remember reading somewhere that it used to be blended by Orlik (which, if true, would now be STG). Also I've heard people assert that it's luxury navy flake. My taste buds disagree with that one. I also couldn't figure out why they would rename that one and not Bullseye or LTF. Either way, it's a fantastic VA and definitely worth a try. Kind of in the vein of Golden Sliced.

IRC Slices is a nice mild VA. Solid good but a little one dimensional. Probably won't be sorry you smoked it, but I doubt it'll make it into the letter home to Mom and Dad. Unless of course mild VAs are your jam.

Reactions: Dr. Van Loafer

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Bullseye and Luxury Twist Flake are obviously Peter Stokkebye. But still good and at a reasonable price.

IRC Virginia Flake is my favorite of the bunch. I've seen conflicting information on its origin. I remember reading somewhere that it used to be blended by Orlik (which, if true, would now be STG). Also I've heard people assert that it's luxury navy flake. My taste buds disagree with that one. I also couldn't figure out why they would rename that one and not Bullseye or LTF. Either way, it's a fantastic VA and definitely worth a try. Kind of in the vein of Golden Sliced.

IRC Slices is a nice mild VA. Solid good but a little one dimensional. Probably won't be sorry you smoked it, but I doubt it'll make it into the letter home to Mom and Dad. Unless of course mild VAs are your jam.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have been enjoying Newminster No. 400, for me this is a very approachable virginia, and while not overly complex delivers consistent results.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Personally, I enjoy their Dr. Bradley Mixture and Balkan Supreme. As others have said, be prepared to spend some time (and, to that end, be sure to take along plenty of money for the parking meter or find a nearby parking garage) exploring all that they have to offer.

Iwan Ries (and the late, lamented Chez Paul restaurant) is the only good reason I can think of to visit Chicago. Otherwise, my favorite thing about that city of broad shoulders is seeing it in my rearview mirror as I'm leaving.

Enjoy your visit!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. Van Loafer

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Personally, I enjoy their Dr. Bradley Mixture and Balkan Supreme. As others have said, be prepared to spend some time (and, to that end, be sure to take along plenty of money for the parking meter or find a nearby parking garage) exploring all that they have to offer.

Iwan Ries (and the late, lamented Chez Paul restaurant) is the only good reason I can think of to visit Chicago. Otherwise, my favorite thing about that city of broad shoulders is seeing it in my rearview mirror as I'm leaving.

Enjoy your visit!
Sage advise about time and money. Also I was going to ask about parking so thank you. Good to know there is some metered parking and garages.