PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I have a feeling, adornments have been made out of all sorts of terrifying source materials. I don't wanna know.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was gifted all of my pipes with "organic" accents, but would still love an albatross bone pipe.
BC Origine-w1200-h1200-w800-h500.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Mammoth Ivory, Fossilized Walrus Tooth, Hippo are legal in most states. ...and let's not forget Ooosic- Fossilized Walrus Penile Bone...:)
In 2016, there was a near total ban on Asian and African Elephant ivory in the US, but African Elephant Ivory can be used as a decoration on a pipe (or cue stick, or piano) under this very narrow exception- It must be Preban-1990 or older to begin with (I still have a pound or so from 1980 sitting in the shop) The problem is the documentation proving that the ivory is pre 1990....
Here's the link with the details- Ivory Ban Exceptions
Ivorite is considered a perfectly fine decoration on a hand made pipe- I'll let you guys argue what's "high-end". I greatly prefer Mammoth- it has a little more mellow tone and more character from the minerals- I use it a lot ....Here's one out of my shop..
nnwrdi.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I take warren's point seriously, that if trim looks like something rare, it must be made clear if it is something other than it seems. On the other hand, I would honor a carver who makes it clear what the other material is and let's the buyer be the judge. If someone does a titanium band and identifies the material, or some specialized plastic or other off-brand material, that can be creative. The issue for me would be, are they up front about it? Let me see how it looks, and if I like it, find out how it wears and lasts, and I'll take the gamble. But let me know up front. If someone at a pipe show or club is "deceived," thinking it is one thing and not the other, unless they ask, I don't care.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
On the websites of carvers that I have visited, they always list materials and dimensions of their pieces. SPC lists all of their artisan inventory's adornments in the description.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
( For the anecdote, it seems that elephants are born more and more without their defenses or atrophied.
Because the poaching survivors are the ones who had small ones and therefore the only ones to reproduce ...

This is a problem because the defenses are useful for them to survive and feed themselves. :( )

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
If someone does a titanium band and identifies the material, or some specialized plastic or other off-brand material, that can be creative
The only pipemaker I know willing to take on titanium on a regular basis is Nate King- The is definitely not a low-end substitute. It is a challenging material to work with...

Status
Not open for further replies.