PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Maybe the whole question of hi-brow/low-brow has nothing to do with the object or interest in question. Maybe it's more about if you really care what others think about it and the impression it makes on others, more so than your actual interest in it.

Reactions: FLDRD and JOHN72

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I used to love playing my Nintendo Game & Watch when I was in high school. It was a simple LCD screen, but so entertaining! People would jump out of a burning building and your two firemen with a net had to bounce the jumpers offscreen to safety. It would get so stressful juggling multiple jumpers back and forth, but was so much fun. It’s in a box somewhere and I hope it still works.
Have you seen the Game & Watch anniversary limited editions? They made a Mario one and a Zelda one.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I have a few packs of Toscano cigars stashed and given how many recommendations they've received in this thread I'm starting to dread the idea of trying one because it might make my horde of pipes obsolete.
Mmm - Toscanos - cut ammezzato! A great smoke. I really like the Extravecchios - great cheap smoke. Tucking the second half behind your ear really gives you the look though!aaaa.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Have you seen the Game & Watch anniversary limited editions? They made a Mario one and a Zelda one.

I have not, thank you! Apart from my Game & Watch by Nintendo, I never really got into the brand (I favoured fighting and shooting games and had an Atari 7800, Sega Saturn, and PlayStation as a result). I never had a Nintendo system until Susan bought me a Switch a couple years ago. She loves Zelda and I will have to look for this.

BulaBeans

Lurker
Feb 16, 2024
Buladean, North Carolina
Uni-brow here.

Being in the fly-fishing world as well for over twenty years and finer tobacco for ten, I've run into both types. At the end of the day, it wasn't the posers who caught all the fish just because they bought the most expensive fly rod, wore the nicest waders, and bought all the latest and greatest trinkets, but those who actually fished often, knew the lore, studied their favorite fishing spot, and put in the time.

Just yesterday, the wifey and I travelled to a quaint village in our mountains and visited a used bookstore. We went to the "Local Artists" and "Classics" section, and I proceeded to pick out a local novella and read it in my best Shelby Foote voice. The proprietor overheard my recitation and proceeded to ask if I would come back and read to the local gathering someday. I replied, "Ma'am, only if I can bring my pipe and smoke it forthwith."

She smiled demurely.

I also scored a dog-eared copy of Twain's "Puddin'head Wilson."

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I used to love playing my Nintendo Game & Watch when I was in high school. It was a simple LCD screen, but so entertaining! People would jump out of a burning building and your two firemen with a net had to bounce the jumpers offscreen to safety. It would get so stressful juggling multiple jumpers back and forth, but was so much fun. It’s in a box somewhere and I hope it still works.
Oh man, I remember that fireman game! I don't think I had it, but I do remember playing it.

What sucks for me is I have so many memories trapped away in my head that I can only remember if someone brings it up. I can't tell you how many times friends of mine would reminisce about grade school and high school memories and I'd sit there racking my brain until I came to the revelation of, "ohhhh yeah! I remember that...I forgot all about it."

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
The one I really like is one from Italy - the Inspector Montalbano series from Andrea Camilleri - who was inspired by a Spanish detective. Really good stories that build a universe of characters and places around the them. I also really like the Simeon stuff that I read in French - just great stuff. Always something else to discover!
Try some „Carvalho“ stories of the Spanish author Catalonian novelist Manuel Vázquez Montalbán. Or go to the birth of Swedish crime literature and Nordic Noir with Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö and there cycle of Martin Beck novels. Ten books written in ten years, first in 1965, a new very society critical stage of crime story. Or try crime from a complete different (somehow Zen) perspective with Janwillem van de Wetering of the 1970s.

• Love
Reactions: sparker69

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Try some „Carvalho“ stories of the Spanish author Catalonian novelist Manuel Vázquez Montalbán. Or go to the birth of Swedish crime literature and Nordic Noir with Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö and there cycle of Martin Beck novels. Ten books written in ten years, first in 1965, a new very society critical stage of crime story. Or try crime from a complete different (somehow Zen) perspective with Janwillem van de Wetering of the 1970s.
Inspector Montalbano was named after Montalbán. I read one of his novels - they're good. I actually read an interview with the two authors who met together for an interview- they both hated what their characters ate and Camilere

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Inspector Montalbano was named after Montalbán. I read one of his novels - they're good. I actually read an interview with the two authors who met together for an interview- they both hated what their characters ate and Camilere said that he tried to get into an online fan group for Montalbano and failed the entrance quiz!😁