PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooterdoo

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2018
I recently ordered some tobacco from smokingpipes, and being a big fan of Matches860 on Youtube, I decided to throw in 2 oz of Haunted Bookshop with my order. It arrived this Friday, and I tried everything over the weekend and found myself head over heals for Haunted Bookshop. I absolutely love it. It's the perfect tobacco...for me.
So, tell me about the first time you truly fell in love with a tobacco. What tobacco was it? Was it love at first smoke or did it take a few bowls? Do you still smoke it today?
Cheers,

Dan

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
My first love was with McLelland no 8 oriental. I had previously been smoking McClelland Virginias, and a few aromatics, but it is the spicy sour funk of the Orientals that I didn’t know I was missing. I’ve since moved on to many richer blends, but I still lament the passing of My Beloved #8.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Fall '92 McClelland Christmas Cheer. Don't have any of the original left, but many from the years since. Loved it at first light and smoke it happily still today.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
It was the summer of '75 and I was 6 years old. There she was, an older woman in pigtails and a flannel shirt, starring in the greatest Saturday kids show ever created - Holly, from Land of the Lost.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Klondike Gold. I'm only grateful that I've piled it high and wide in my cellar. A super close second is Dunhill Flake. Luckily it's stacked high and wide as well. Rumor has it they are the same....I'm grateful either way.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Orlik Golden Sliced. The sweet, tart, citrus flavor and almost astringent effect on the nasal passages on the exhale through the nose. I think I moaned a little when I first smoked it. I bought a lot more to put away and smoke it pretty regularly. It might not be my favorite now, but it was my first love.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
The first tobacco I really fell for was PS Bullseye, soon followed by PS LTF. I have since found an aro that turns me on Lane Dark Red.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Although far from my first love, I finally tried Haunted Bookshop for the first time ever a few days ago.
Not sure what to expect, I was pretty impressed with the flavour. Reminded me much of GLP Cumberland, only a bit different, if you take my meaning. Wish I'd tried it many moons ago. :roll:
Actually, my first love was Prince Albert in a small cob pipe when I was the ripe old age of 13 or 14. Liked the pipe ever since.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Honestly....it would have to be Sir Walter Raleigh. It's smooth, smoky, and simple. Never disappoints.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
My first bowl of Smokers Haven Our Best Blend was transcendent. The limited availability of OBB led me to Margate, which I smoke about 50% of the time.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
The first pipe tobacco that really blew me away was McClelland Beacon Extra. I'd never had a tobacco with such a large amount of Perique in it and it was love at first puff. That spicy fig/raisin flavour was amazing.
I still have 2 tins stashed at the back of my cellar for some future special occasion!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am I the first to mention Nightcap? So be it! It was the first tin of 'real' tobacco that I bought to go in my first 'real' pipe. What a treat. I still have 3 or 4 tins stashed away, which should last me years at the rate I go.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
GLP Gaslight! The sweet, smoky, tart flavors blew my mind. Sadly, I have lost my love for Latakia. New favorite is F&T Vintage.

glaswegian

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
For me it was the first time smoking english blends. In the beginning of smoking everybody told me to start with aromatics and Virginias cause Latakia is too strong for beginners. (11 years ago). I always smoked too hot cause i was craving a stronger taste and burned my tongue on a regularly base.

Then I smoked MM965 and it was heaven......I emptied the small tin in 3 days. Afterwards I tried Red Raparree and the flavourprofile I loved was settled. I smoked cooler cause of the strong taste and the Virginias were not as difficult to smoke as in the beginning.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Astleys No. 109, found it about 15 years ago and it stood out from all others.
Not sure about the current production which may have changed though.....

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Starting from 'scratch' it was blender's gold, then captain black white, then, bingo! Sir Walter Raleigh.

After that, it was Escudo and then my first Lat blend.

I've been fortunate to have sampled a lot of those highly touted blends in the meantime, but haven't really had a 'revelation' for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.