PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
..but...Deceptive?
"Dear modernchicago,

This nomenclature was not introduced by Comoy until 1935. Your description is flat out wrong, if not deceptive."

- archerroan
Jeez - can I get some back-up here?

Or is this just another "ebay psycho".....just a hunch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261120284081

Aug 1, 2012
The derek-greene website puts both those stamps at mid 20s to around 1930. Your description seems right to me. The buyer has purchased a couple higher-end pipes so he/she might have more information than you or I but I think "deceptive" was going a bit far.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
I felt so. Derek Green's has always been my go-to site for comoy nomenclature.

The Curved 'London Made' is the dead giveaway.

Oh Well, whomever wins it can return it if I / we're wrong.

Cheers.

Aug 1, 2012
You might ask for clarification and see if this guy/girl is just a jerk or really does have some info he/she might be willing to share.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
nah...the "deceptive" remark earned him a place on the other side of a stone wall.

eBay's blocked bidder list is the electronic equivalent of a fly-swatter.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The guy who contacted you has an incredible collection of Comoy's. I have seen pictures and know Neill. I would be more inclined to believe what he is saying, but not that you are being deceptive. If he says you are wrong then I would do a lot more research. You should contact him and ask for some advice maybe.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
I really do not do this for the money. It's an exercise in mutual respect. If someone calls me deceptive, without even knowing me or giving me the benefit of the doubt, then he can take his collection of comoy's and pound sand.

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Too often Pride stands in the way of wonderful friendships................Just my 2 cents worth.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Look at it from a collectors point of view, when they see pipes with wrong information which happens a ton on ebay, they can get testy. I agree he should not have called you deceptive, but I know it is one of his pet peeves. He has been a little pissed off lately at some shill bidding on his beloved Comoy's so he may have just taken it out on you. He really is a good guy.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's a beauty of a pipe.
I have to agree with cigrmaster. Also, while this guy's email was testy and accusatory, he technically didn't say you were deceptive, but suggested it in case you knew what you were doing:
"Your description is flat out wrong, if not deceptive."
Personally, I've been deceived by Top Sellers on ebay, and I am sure he's been swindled a few times and so probably has his guard up a bit too high. I would consider emailing him and explain where you got your info. I'll wager he'll change his tone and may even offer some good info in the process.
Good luck with your auction. :puffy:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Mate, you came on here asking for opinions. You have been given the opinion of several members, to contact this buyer for more info. I agree with other members. I am not agreeing with his comment about being deceptive though. My opinion is, if you ask members for help or opinions, and then refuse the help, why bother asking in the first place? As for telling a buyer to "Pound Sand", not a good way to do business mate.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
" Oh Well, whomever wins it can return it if I / we're wrong.

Cheers."
Why put a buyer through all that aggravation, it is up to you to do your due diligence before you list the pipe. If someone contacts you and says you are wrong, I think you should take down the listing until you are absolutely sure you are right. I know if I listed a pipe incorrectly and was told so, I would make sure before I sold it.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Been selling sportscards and vinyl on eBay for 13 years... you're only deceptive if you knowingly listed it that way... the listing can be deceptive regardless of your knowledge.... do the right thing... or the fair thing... whatever that is... it's a nice pipe in any case.... On another note... nice auctions ;-)

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
He saw 1 thing from you and assumed the worse. I dont usually make friends with people who call me a liar. He wordeded it to insult you nicely. He could have said hey man real quick I think you made a mistake and given you info. From the comments sounds like he is mad he lost some pipes he was bidding on lately. And that you should understand and take it. How about he learn there are consequences for actions. Forget him. Unless ebay is short on buyers which I dont think that is the case.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I would contact Mr. Roan and ask him to send you a copy of the information he has as it relates to the pipe you have listed for sale.
Mr. Roan is referenced in many texts about pipes written by Carlton Hacker and Rick Newcombe as examples.
I think he also writes occasionally for a blog A Passion for Pipes.
I agree he should not have been critical but learning from him and moving forward will be better for business.
Perhaps you could even help him locate additional pipes and I am sure he has lots of friends who might buy from you as well.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
flmason, Neill is Passion For Pipes, it is his site. His collection is incredible and he has a ton of knowledge. Yes he could have been nicer or more tactful, but the facts remain. The pipe could be listed incorrectly and leaving it up to the buyer to figure it out is plain wrong.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I think you would be the bigger man by contacting him as others have said. I also understand where you are coming from.

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
Whenever someone calls me out for being wrong I usually ask them how so, if they can prove it then that's awesome if not, then ban list for the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.