PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Before you tell me that it's not really cold here in Carolina compared to where you are let me say that I believe in something called relative cold.That is.How cold it is where you are relative to what you're used to.I lived in Michigan for a lot of years.I lived through many cold winters up there.I didn't like them,but I was used to them.Here in the south we usually only get a couple of real cold days at a time then it warms up some.Our normal high for this time of year is about 50 degrees.Now though for several nights in a row the chill factor has been close to zero.We still have a few more days before it has a chance to warm up some.Just to make things more frustrating.My wife hates the smell of Penzance so I don't smoke it in the house and I sure can't sit on the porch in this artic air..I hope you are staying warm,and you have enough coffee and tobaco.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
You might consider buying a portable fire pit. Then you could sit out on the porch and enjoy a good smoke and a toasty fire. :puffpipe:
Portable-Fire-Pit.jpg

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
I'm in NC and I must agree. It is cold. I had a good fire going last night in a similar fire pit to what rangerearthpig posted but today it is so damn windy that there is no chance of getting a fire to keep lit in either the pit or a pipe. The weekends are generally my "smoking days" so I am very bummed by this current weather.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Your wife doesn't like the smell of Penzance!? My wife would hit me with a folding chair If I lit that up in our home. Snow drifts as high as my waist here in N.E. Ohio. Horizontal snow. Fear not. Spring is far closer there than here.

Mike S.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
It's too cold here in Tennessee to go outside and even check the mail. My old bones just crunch and creak each time I head out for the newspaper or mail. The cats go out, and right back inside.
As for smoking, I don't recall really what that is like. I can't smoke in the house, garage, or man cave, if I had one. I can only smoke outside, and it has been too cold for so many days, I can't recall my last smoke, what it was or in what pipe.
But, part of that is age and dementia, too.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Wilmington Delaware
21°
Hi 28° | Lo 10°

Snow

Sunrise: 7:16 AM

Sunset: 5:13 PM

Barometer: 29.71" Hg Feels like: 8°

Humidity: 86%

Wind: SSW 15 mph

:puffy:

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Yeah I saw myrtle beach was 22, and that's pretty cold for down there! It finally warmed up here to the teens today. I have a firepit, but it's been too cold to even go make a fire!

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
In NW Wis at home I clocked -35 a couple of weeks ago. Forget that,my mom lets me smoke inside in the cities where it was only -25. Try to treat her to aros.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I suggest if you're south of the Mason-Dixon line you don't venture up here to PA. High today was 25. Low tonight 11. High tomorrow 20. Got a couple more inches of the white stuff today. Since I don't puff in the house it's putting a real crimp in my pipe smoking. :crying: Happy Puffin' whereever you are,
Dave

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
+1 for the concept of "relative cold"
This is the coldest I can remember it ever being in the Glorious South.
My farm is littered with bucket-shaped ice formations (from all my water buckets freezing and staying frozen). I'm having to carry buckets of warm water out of the house and carry them to the various pens and barns. I'm running heat lamps round the clock. It's crazy. And I've had to go out to the livestock ponds with an old pickaxe to break the ice so horses, goats, and sheep can drink.
Fortunately, I heat the house with a wood stove so it's about 80 degrees inside.
My summer project is going to be setting up woodstoves in the barns....

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I feel bad for you all. it's what I'd describe it here as 'a bit nippy'. Also, translating F into C makes my head hurt.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Its in the teens here in Southern Illinois, and that is more than cold enough for me. Luckily, I don't have to smoke outdoors. But if You do, bundle up and stay safe. Don't subject yourselves to extreme cold, unless you are heavily clothed and prepared. Sorry, I am a worrier lol.
My after school special over, I believe this is the worst(temp wise) winter here in the US we have seen for quite a few years.
Stay warm and keep puffing everybody! :puffy:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
It has been close to zero in Chicagoland. The shocks on my SUV froze this week. There was too much ice on them for the mechanic to see what was wrong. After spending a night in the heated garage, the problem went away and I did not get a bill. Wonderful.
Winton

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
No question – this is a real cold spell, regardless of whether you live in the north or the south. It's been hanging on for a while as to run. Nothing like a nice warm bowl of tobacco to help ward off the elements.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
We haven't even had a winter here in Southern California :crying:
Unable to go snowboarding which is a bummer since I have 8 passes to go. The local Mtn. Makes snow but VERY poorly, would rather not ruin my board snowboarding on hard packed ice and rocks.... So disappointed!

Jul 15, 2011
Here in the heart of the heartland, a couple of weeks ago it got so cold that the seal came loose on the back windshield of my convertible. Damn back windshield fell right out. Also knocked out functionality of all the fans in my convertible. Went and traded it in at the dealer the other day for something that has working heat. The cold that killed my windshield was a high temperature of -10, wind chills reaching -45. The high here Tuesday is supposed to be -4. Ill be really damn glad when this winter is over.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Currently in Brant Count, Ontario CDA it is 9F with windchill of -6F. I have 4 racks of ribs smoking in the BBQ and I had just come in from a nice bowl of FMC and a cup of coffee. Don't let the cold weather get you down. Fire up the grill and embrace all that your BBQ has to offer :D lol

Status
Not open for further replies.