It's Not That Simple - (New G.L. Pease Article)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Have you ever had one of those smoking experiences that was just ephemeral? It's great, isn't it? Have you ever had one that was just so bad that it took all of your willpower to not throw your pipe at a wall?
I've had them both, many times over. In this month's Out of the Ashes column, G. L. Pease doesn't explain why this happens, because ...
It's Not That Simple.

I thoroughly enjoy reading anything by Pease. Not only is he a master blender of the leaf, but he can spin words that can take you up in meaningful spirals and then let it all dissipate like smoke on a cool evening. When done, I wonder what it was that was revealed. Just a slight bit of aroma caught up in the room and fabrics, just a faint bit of enlightenment caught in the beard.
Good stuff, and I will look forward to his next puff :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most thoughtful article. Some of a pipe smoking experience is external and objective -- the pipe, the tobacco, the temperature

and humidity. If those variables trip you up, a bowl of tobacco can be a strike-out. As Sachel Page used to say, "Win a few, lose

a few, some get rained out, such a deal." But the mental part of pipe smoking holds a lot of the experience. If you are on automatic

pilot and light up without much presence of mind or sense awareness, it can make a bad experience. I wouldn't superimpose meditation or

yoga or other principles to pipe smoking, but it can be akin to that. You have to bring enough quiet receptivity to the experience

to allow it to be a good one.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
This latest article by GL Pease hits it out of the park. It's one of his best I've read. In trying to define, or better say discuss, the finer points of what makes an outstanding smoke, Pease does a remarkable job in trying to enumerate the infinite number of elusive calculations and constantly changing variables, both known and unknown, that subtend the perfect smoke. In the end, it remains a mystery. As it should be, perhaps.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
OK, we all love a guru. It even better when they don't put us on some silly diet or make us twist into pretzels. Lots of competition for guru status with pipes but Greg excels.
I was glad to note he did well identifying his foibles. That's a good thing, eh Martha. It lets us tone it at times to avoid getting a rubber room.
It was a fun read. I didn't learn anything -- unusual for a GLP article. But a bit of navel gazing is always a fun pastime.
Confession: I did scan read it this go. I usually pay better attention.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
So, when are all of these articles written by Mr Pease going to be assembled into a nice hard cover collectible book I can keep with my pipes? I know everything can be found online on his website and pipes magazine, but there is something to be said for a physical book with gorgeous pictures.
Great article, by the way.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
My favorite Pease article! Very well put, I'm sure we have all had a similar line of thought at some point. This also makes the 3 week wait I have to retrieve my tins of gaslight sitting at my parents house that much harder!

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
So, when are all of these articles written by Mr Pease going to be assembled into a nice hard cover collectible book I can keep with my pipes? I know everything can be found online on his website and pipes magazine, but there is something to be said for a physical book with gorgeous pictures.
Great article, by the way.
Hear hear.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
another great article by Mr. Pease.. I thouroughly enjoy your writing/work, as well as your tobacco..

Status
Not open for further replies.