PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I am wondering if this is true for others, or if it's just my imagination:

Most of my smoking is inside, but when I do smoke outdoors the pipe seems to burn better, like there's better a better combustion going on. Can't really understand why this would be.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I actually prefer the colder weather for smoking (although not necessarily the almost -40 we hit last week) as it seems to concentrate the smoke for me and I pick up flavours I don't otherwise in a warm environment.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Yea, maybe it's the cooler temps outdoors. "Concentrate the smoke" is a good phrase for what I'm noticing. Seems like the pipe burns better and the smoke is more tasty and satisfying in a way. Although smoking inside in the evening with a book with a nice cozy beverage is pretty satisfying, the pipe and tobacco seems to behave differently indoors vs. outdoors.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I find that smoking outside for me is a novelty. In the summer I like to sit in the evening on my front porch and enjoy a long smoke on the swing or in my backyard while grilling. I think that the winter because of the cold the smoke tends to be dryer and the tobacco seem to "Shock" the way a cigar would going from one temp to another. Because the summer seems to have more humidity the tobacco seems to hold up better during the smoke. That's just what I've seen.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Funny you mention that Freakiefrog, on really humid days in the summer I can't get any flavour from my pipes. That's when I'll flip to a cigar. One of our pipe club guys always talks about how a cigar smokes better in the summer cause that's where it's made in hot humid climates, while a pipe is better in more temperate climates. Dunno if this is true but it seems to make sense.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Years ago when I was smoking cigars I spoke with Davidoff about what ruins a cigar. He said the one thing that will kill a cigar for the "taster" ie the guy who smokes for the taste and not just to smoke something, is "Shock" he said walk out of a warm dry house into a cool or cold damp air outside and see just how much the flavor changes. I would imagine the same would be fore pipe tobacco. I get more flavor in the spring and summer because my sinuses and mouth aren't as dried out as they are in the winter. My local tobacconist as also said that in the winter people down here in the south seem to buy more "Heavy English" blends and then in the summer switch to light subtle VaPers. Same goes for beer I like a good stout or Ale in the winter but in the summer a lite beer is taster to me.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Yeah, I find that my beloved Virginias loose a lot of their subtle flavors in the winter. The cold makes them smooth and less acidic but masks the best parts of the flavor. While I am finding Latakia does get tastier in the cold as many have claimed. I used to basically quite pipe for the winter but I'm in too deep now... not an option. :puffpipe:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I used to be a pretty casual cigar and pipe smoker. I always enjoyed a good smoke but would only have one or two pipes at a time and a couple tins. When winter would come around it was easier to put the pipe down than stand outside in our weather. Since discovering this place, I've gotten too into sampling new blends and exploring. I hear you though, I can't imagine going backwards. I'm having too much fun.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Sign of the times perhaps but I have never smoked inside. I have smoked regularly for the last seven months.
As junkyarddawg stated, wind is the worst. I have smoked in the hummid summer of Florida and now in the high 40's low 50's of the Persian Gulf winter and for me the level of comfort defines how good the smoke is. At least to my pallet, flavor and enjoyment is hugely impacted by how at ease and comfotable I am.
Why in God's name would ya ever stop..

freakiefrog :clap:

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Absolutely, pipebaum. I most enjoy smoking when I can relax and enjoy it, and that in turns relaxes me and let's me focus on the pleasure of the smoke. Smoking is a mediative act, or at least it should be. I think it can also be calming when one is in a less than comfortable state, be it physical or emotional. I would say that it's way better than yoga!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Out of the house is my only option. So winter is in the garage but spring through fall is in the gazebo. I like smoking outside but I always have a wind cap handy just in case a breeze kicks up. They're the best $1.29 you can spend to save your pipe.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I smoke outdoors exclusively. I just smoke a lot less in the winter, but that is fine with me. My current theory is that smoking tastes better outdoors because you have a more ready supply of fresh oxygen, which allows my taste buds and more important olfactory receptors to work more efficiently.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
As junkyarddawg stated, wind is the worst.
This is not just a problem of getting the pipe lt; my expperience has been that a heavy wind takes all of the flavor out of the tobacco. As I smoke outdoors exclusively, on a windy day unless I can find a spot protected from the wind, I just don't bother lighting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.