It's Been a While....So Here's an Update!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Happy New Year all,

It's been a while, but I am still thoroughly enjoying pipe smoking every chance I get. I've acquired a few new pipes, and several new tobaccos. It's been an interesting journey indeed!

Here is a photo of my current pipe collection and a few individual shots with the newest, a Stanwell RM 1994, and a 2020 Boswell Peneled Curved pipe.

IMG_20210116_214221.jpgIMG_20210116_214541.jpgIMG_20210116_214550.jpgIMG_20210116_214621.jpgIMG_20210116_214609.jpg

I already made a post about my Savinelli Hercules 114EX. All I can say is that it is a great smoker. Bowl is much larger than my other pipes and can be smoked for well over an hour. I reserve it for blends that I am confident I enjoy enough to smoke that long, mostly aromatics (which is what I prefer, anyway). This is a heavier pipe, but much Like ChasingEmbers, I too believe that all pipes are clenchers and I clench the s*** out of it. The Saddle Bit is A1?

The Stanwell was an acquisition made simply to procure a pipe in a shape I like from the year of my birth. It is a smaller pipe indeed, but a lovely smoke, no less. I usually use it to try out new blends (today, I tried out John Aylesbury ((Sillem's)) Linea Epoque). It's a very light pipe that makes for very easy clenching. I love the smooth portion on the bowl as I think black and brown play off each other nicely.

On to my new overall favorite, the Boswell?. This is just one amazing pipe. Sits great in the hand, clenches with ease and I just love smoking it. The draw on this thing is surreal. I have enjoyed several blends out of it thus far and would say it's my go-to pipe. I love the contrast between the stem and bowl and the shape is really nice. It is my second bent pipe, but it's also my favorite shaped pipe as well, currently.

My tobacco collection has also grown immensely and will increase more soon as my Wilke order is coming in this week. I absolutely love trying new tobaccos and have found some of my most peaceful and enjoyable moments recently have been while smoking my pipe. I live farther away from work now and I have a nice long drive to enjoy my pipes. I will have new posts in the review section coming up as I have now decided to spend more time with blends before giving opinions. For now..take a look!

IMG_20210116_220125.jpg

I look forward to making more in-depth posts shortly. Hope you enjoyed this one!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
What a stem on the Boswell!

Man, that Hercules really cuts an imposing figure compared to the others on the rack!. I have been interested in them, along with the Peterson Pub pipes, and Rossi Luccas (as a budget version) for a big ass pipe for long, leisurely bowls of Latakia/Balkan blends.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Happy New Year all,

It's been a while, but I am still thoroughly enjoying pipe smoking every chance I get. I've acquired a few new pipes, and several new tobaccos. It's been an interesting journey indeed!

Here is a photo of my current pipe collection and a few individual shots with the newest, a Stanwell RM 1994, and a 2020 Boswell Peneled Curved pipe.

View attachment 60540View attachment 60541View attachment 60542View attachment 60545View attachment 60544

I already made a post about my Savinelli Hercules 114EX. All I can say is that it is a great smoker. Bowl is much larger than my other pipes and can be smoked for well over an hour. I reserve it for blends that I am confident I enjoy enough to smoke that long, mostly aromatics (which is what I prefer, anyway). This is a heavier pipe, but much Like ChasingEmbers, I too believe that all pipes are clenchers and I clench the s*** out of it. The Saddle Bit is A1?

The Stanwell was an acquisition made simply to procure a pipe in a shape I like from the year of my birth. It is a smaller pipe indeed, but a lovely smoke, no less. I usually use it to try out new blends (today, I tried out John Aylesbury ((Sillem's)) Linea Epoque). It's a very light pipe that makes for very easy clenching. I love the smooth portion on the bowl as I think black and brown play off each other nicely.

On to my new overall favorite, the Boswell?. This is just one amazing pipe. Sits great in the hand, clenches with ease and I just love smoking it. The draw on this thing is surreal. I have enjoyed several blends out of it thus far and would say it's my go-to pipe. I love the contrast between the stem and bowl and the shape is really nice. It is my second bent pipe, but it's also my favorite shaped pipe as well, currently.

My tobacco collection has also grown immensely and will increase more soon as my Wilke order is coming in this week. I absolutely love trying new tobaccos and have found some of my most peaceful and enjoyable moments recently have been while smoking my pipe. I live farther away from work now and I have a nice long drive to enjoy my pipes. I will have new posts in the review section coming up as I have now decided to spend more time with blends before giving opinions. For now..take a look!

View attachment 60549

I look forward to making more in-depth posts shortly. Hope you enjoyed this one!
One of my favorite things to do is to look at an assembled variety of tins. So, many thanks for that last photo! Like you, I prefer aromatics, and I recognize one of your tins in particular. Interesting story there. I went to a pipe shop in Central California about a year and a half ago to buy my first real pipe (the $10 generic "pipe" I bought on Amazon to see if I liked pipe smoking doesn't count), a Savinelli Mattone 601 bent billiard. I also sought a tin of Eileen's Dream, but they were out, and the proprietor recommended another CAO blend, Moontrance. It has since become my favorite aromatic blend. I might never have tried it otherwise. Smells like dessert (and tastes like it too)! I highly recommend it if you like ED. I could hold the tin under the nose of even the most ardent anti-tobacco type, and they'd probably convert just from the smell alone. Errr...just dry it a bit before puffing, FYI...

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
One of my favorite things to do is to look at an assembled variety of tins. So, many thanks for that last photo! Like you, I prefer aromatics, and I recognize one of your tins in particular. Interesting story there. I went to a pipe shop in Central California about a year and a half ago to buy my first real pipe (the $10 generic "pipe" I bought on Amazon to see if I liked pipe smoking doesn't count), a Savinelli Mattone 601 bent billiard. I also sought a tin of Eileen's Dream, but they were out, and the proprietor recommended another CAO blend, Moontrance. It has since become my favorite aromatic blend. I might never have tried it otherwise. Smells like dessert (and tastes like it too)! I highly recommend it if you like ED. I could hold the tin under the nose of even the most ardent anti-tobacco type, and they'd probably convert just from the smell alone. Errr...just dry it a bit before puffing, FYI...

I have heard great things about all the CAO blends I have seen thus far. I will definitely be buying a tin of moontrance soon. Though I must admit, after trying three of Sutliff's aromatics since I got back into pipes, I am thinking my next order will mostly be bulk tobacco from them.

Btw, did you ever get a chance to try ED?

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
What a stem on the Boswell!

Man, that Hercules really cuts an imposing figure compared to the others on the rack!. I have been interested in them, along with the Peterson Pub pipes, and Rossi Luccas (as a budget version) for a big ass pipe for long, leisurely bowls of Latakia/Balkan blends.

I haven't tried those other pipes, but I can say that I am very happy with my Hercules. I would recommend it. I would also highly recommend a Boswell. Mine was $179.95 if I remember correctly. I bought a $100 dollar gift card from them one month and put the balance on my card the next. Getting on the site at 8:00pm on a Monday can be a little glitchy due to high traffic. So I browsed on my computer and my phone when the site slowed down. They have many sizes including Jumbo sized-pipes. Not affiliated with them at all, I just love my pipe.

Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have heard great things about all the CAO blends I have seen thus far. I will definitely be buying a tin of moontrance soon. Though I must admit, after trying three of Sutliff's aromatics since I got back into pipes, I am thinking my next order will mostly be bulk tobacco from them.

Btw, did you ever get a chance to try ED?
I did, and I enjoyed it immensely. Very similar to my 2nd favorite aro, Central Park Stroll by Drew Estate (sadly discontinued). I have an unopened tin of both stashed away.

Reactions: BROBS

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
Enjoyed your post, looks like you are enjoying it and are headed down the rabbit hole! I get what you mean about appreciating the drive because you can enjoy the pipe.

Reactions: BROBS