PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I know 30°F ain't much in some northern states, and Canada. Also various European states and Russia. But it's balls freezing cold for us southern folks.

So.. What's your cold weather smoking gear? Watch cap and pea coat have been my standard along with my year around shorts. But with arthritis, found out compression gloves are very warm. Been smoking with fingerless compression gloves and I think they are now my new addition to wintery weather.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
36* here in Eastern NC this morning, quite the change from the last week when I was wearing shorts and the house AC was on.

My usual attire in colder weather is a Carharrt Barn Coat, maybe a watch cap, wouldn't call it special smoking gear though. I'll fire up a propane heater in the garage for days that need it.

Mar 1, 2014
When I want to smoke a pipe in -30C I wear long underwear and two sweatpants under my size 50 jeans, a T-shirt and long sleeve nylon shirt and a sweater under my heavy winter coat, then the jumbo boots with sheepskin liners, and a full sheepskin head cover.
At that point I can hold my pipe with just a thin single layer glove because I'm practically a walking house.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I wear my heated garage!

I'll often take a pipe on a little nature hike with the youngest dog during the winter, so whatever is appropriate for being out on that particular day.

BTW, we'll see 4 degrees overnight this weekend, woke up to 17 degrees the other morning - in another month, 30 degrees will seem like jeans and t shirt weather!

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Your fingerless gloves are a good idea I had not thought of. A cat in the lap goes a long way for warmth. I also use an anarak jacket. Pull up hood, face away from wind and light up. Hood acts as windscreen. I try not to get too overly bundled up though. I find embracing the cold to be stimulating and helps me get acclimated so I’m ok with being slightly uncomfortable for the duration of a bowl. Oh yeah, smaller bowl size for winter. Sometimes aromatic blends get smoked inside however, like if we are getting an arctic blast

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's dipping into the thirties overnight here in central North Carolina, and I feel it when I go out to pick up the newspaper at the curb. Young folks just don't know what they're missing with a hardcopy newspaper, staring at their screens forever.

Yesterday I transplanted our basil and brought it inside in hopes we can continue to harvest the leaves for cooking. The frost is closing down most of the outdoor plants that aren't evergreen. The holly will do fine. The camellia are still in bloom.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Carhartt insulated coveralls, hat, and gloves (I alternate which glove I'm wearing depending on which is holding the tobacco). I will say the above only applies to cigars anymore - wifey decided she adores the smell of pipe smoke and allows me to smoke in the house if weather precludes me sitting on the back or front deck.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I know 30°F ain't much in some northern states, and Canada. Also various European states and Russia. But it's balls freezing cold for us southern folks.

So.. What's your cold weather smoking gear? Watch cap and pea coat have been my standard along with my year around shorts. But with arthritis, found out compression gloves are very warm. Been smoking with fingerless compression gloves and I think they are now my new addition to wintery weather.
heating pad in my chair!! That is amazing when it starts getting colder.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I was growing up in the Chicago area in the forties and fifties, and the climate was somewhat different, it seemed we could almost count on snow the day after Thanksgiving, and once it had snowed four or five more times, we would pretty much have snow on the ground steadily until March, and sometimes we'd get a snow in April.

After I came to North Carolina to attend school in Greensboro, everyone was surprised to see it snow on April Fools day.

In the Chicago area we would have stretches of sub-zero weather. When I was still in the Navy, but located in Milwaukee at the end of my hitch, I went out one sub-zero morning. I asked a policeman the temperature. He said it was forty below. You mean wind chill? I asked. He said no, that's the temperature. I was living in a battered old hotel to save money for school, but the steam heat held up.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It depends on what i'm doing outside, walking the dog, photographing, driving the tractor, and so forth. We had below zero a few days ago, down parka, mittens with a "trigger finger", wolf hat and mukluks while smoking a pupe and walking Gus, the dawg.

Reactions: bullet08

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I grew up on the Gulf Coast in SE Texas so I feel your pain. I moved to Ohio six years ago and think I'm finally getting acclimated to the temperatures.

I smoke in my office most of the time, especially during the winter months. If I do have a pipe outside during the winter, I'll usually have some sort of fleece or jacket and a wool cap on. I might also be sitting near something warm.

I'll add... I'm still not too nuts about the cold.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
After an extended spell in the 70's it dropped to mid-30's for a few days and will likely stay there for the next ten days or so. We are expecting one to two inches of snow tonight. Lucky us.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I grew up on the Gulf Coast in SE Texas so I feel your pain. I moved to Ohio six years ago and think I'm finally getting acclimated to the temperatures.

I smoke in my office most of the time, especially during the winter months. If I do have a pipe outside during the winter, I'll usually have some sort of fleece or jacket and a wool cap on. I might also be sitting near something warm.

I'll add... I'm still not too nuts about the cold.
One of my friends is from Ohio. He came here for a job and never left. That was 29 years ago.

Reactions: kcghost