PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
In April, my lovely bride and I are headed to Italy. Plans include 3 days Venice, 3 days Sorrento, 3 days Rome, a shorter stay in Florence.
We've got Pompeii and the Vatican and the Acadamia and all that stuff well planned for. But the hell with centuries of civilization, art and culture . . . what about the really important things? What about pipes?
Any pipe shops not be missed? Any of the many Italian makers offer nifty nifty tours?
Advise me, well-traveled forum brethren.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I haven't been to Italy since I took up the pipe.

I imagine there are some nice shops though.. Al Pascia seems to have a storefront. Not sure about LePipe.it, but they have a nice selection online.

Often, individual carvers are happy to host visitors. Castello may offer a tour, but I'd be more inclined to visit a carver I'm familiar with. In my case I'd probably "carve out" a few hours to visit Giacomo Penzo and smoke a bowl with him, as he has done a commission for me and certainly seemed like a nice fellow.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Let me ask my Uncles. They are farther south but do have connections and friends up that way. And they all smoke pipes. Their English is as good as my Italian. Will PM later.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe Al Pascia could pass along some ideas about this, in addition to giving a location for his shop. I haven't been to Italy. I think some of the pipe workshops are off the beaten track, to keep overhead down, but I bet Savenelli has a tour for what must be a fairly large facility. Some of the U.S. distributors for Italian pipes might be able to offer contact numbers or email addresses. Since you're on a honeymoon, you'll need to find pipe stops that are on your route, but it could happen.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Thanks.
And it's really my 25th anniversary with my lovely bride -- so yeah, still a honeymoon really.
I think Savinelli's factory is well to the north. I have located what looks to be a nifty little shop between our hotel and the Duomo in Florence, so that will be a stop.
Al Pascia has a shop in Milan, but we're really only transiting through there, not staying.
I'm sure serendipity will reveal something swell.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I can't really help you much re the tobacco/pipes, but I have been to Italy numerous times (including Rome, Venice and Pompeii from your itinerary). You will have a great time. A little food, a little wine ... what's not to like? :D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thin crust pizza in Rome is all I can think about just now. I did not run across a pipe shop in either Rome or Venice, though I wasn't looking hard either.
Bono aventura!

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I can tell you just about Florence.

The one nearby Duome is surely Castellana, worth a visit. Then I suggest you Tabaccheria Sotto i Portici, piazza della Repubblica 24; they have a good choice of Italian pipes.

Last I suggest Tabaccheria Ricchi Enzo, piazza Santo Spirito 10. The owner also manufacture pipes in a small loft inside the shop. If you don't meet him you should ask of Enzo cause maybe he is carving some pipe in his small den.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
After 5 trips in the past 6 years- Tabacheria Sisimvro in Naples is a good retail shop. When you hit Sorrento, carve out a day to go to Capri- while on Capri, go to La Grotelle to eat. There are no pipemakers in that area- definitely some in Florence and Milan. it should be a great trip!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Lohengrin, thank you. And yes, Catellana on Via dei Servi. Thank you for the other two suggestions. Soto y Portici seems to be right around the other side of the Duomo, so handy. (We're staying at the Logiatto dei Servitti. Former monastery. One of the only hotels we're using, as the other stays are all AirBnB. But it looks charming.)
Thank you Zack. Capri is under strong consideration.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Italy is the home of one of the most important religious sites on this planet and any trip to Italy must include a pilgrimage to the glorious city of Maranello. To not visit this most important site is sacrilege and this comes from a completely unreligious guy. They have some of the most beautiful pipes on earth.
SITE TO BE SEEN

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I 2nd whitewolf's recommendation on Novelli in Rome. It's a great little shop.
11156382_10153230914188373_8377041153251530072_n.jpg

I know you didn't ask for restaurant recommendations, but I can't help myself.
Venice -
De Pisis in the Hotel Bauer Palazzo

Ristorante Da Fiore

Caffè Vergnano 1882
Rome -
Co.So Cocktail (Small plates & drinks)

Flavio Al Velavevodetto - Quartiere Testaccio

Metamorfosi Restaurant

Salone Eva At the Hassler Hotel
Check out http://katieparla.com/. She is an American living in Rome, and professional tour guide.
We got excellent recommendations from her. She was even chatting online one on one with us answering questions.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Gentlemen thank you for the great tips.
The Rome shop looks great and yes, we PROBABLY will want to eat something while we're over there. I've head the food is. . .ya know. . . not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.