PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
View attachment 239353
I pulled these earlier. The are green zebra tomatoes which I’ve never grown/seen before but are supposed to be ripe when they are bright green with white stripes. I suspect they hybridized with some nearby pear tomatoes that are orange in color. Regardless they are juicy, refreshing and delicious.
I’ve seen these before and thought of planting. Suppose to be less acidic. How do they taste compared to reds?

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I’ve seen these before and thought of planting. Suppose to be less acidic. How do they taste compared to reds?
They are less acidic. They aren’t sweet. It’s kind of hard for me to describe taste nuances in tomatoes but the texture I can comment on. They were very juicy but not too liquidy. A nice firm flesh and very refreshing. You might say they are the cucumber of tomatoes.

I like them enough and they are unique enough that I will do these every year from now on. I give them a high recommendation.

Reactions: STP

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Still waiting on my ‘maters to ripen up, I foolishly was late to plant this year and I’m reaping the consequences. Got about 70 right now a few weeks away from edibility and it’s driving me crazy.

Those Zebra tomatoes are beautiful, Egg! I don’t know I’ve ever seen any that look like that before, I’ll have to keep an eye out for next year. Gorgeous!

Reactions: JOHN72 and STP

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Still waiting on my ‘maters to ripen up, I foolishly was late to plant this year and I’m reaping the consequences. Got about 70 right now a few weeks away from edibility and it’s driving me crazy.

Those Zebra tomatoes are beautiful, Egg! I don’t know I’ve ever seen any that look like that before, I’ll have to keep an eye out for next year. Gorgeous!
Thanks DDD! I agree they are visually appealing.

Reactions: STP

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Home garden maters are the only edible kind left, IMO.

The grocery store type got "ruggedized" and "appearance-ified" genetically decades ago, and are now nothing but red, tasteless pulp. (Indeed, they aren't even actually red... they're shipped green and have to be gassed like bananas or they'll forever STAY green)

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Home garden maters are the only edible kind left, IMO.

The grocery store type got "ruggedized" and "appearance-ified" genetically decades ago, and are now nothing but red, tasteless pulp. (Indeed, they aren't even actually red... they're shipped green and have to be gassed like bananas or they'll forever STAY green)
I’m no gardener so if I want nice tomatoes I go to the Italian green grocer where the tomatoes come from his garden or those of his compadres.

And he will only sell you tomatoes for eating on the day or the next
If you want tomatoes for later in the week you will have to go back later in the week 😁