PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
honestly I bet many of us have pipes that have this feature and just never examined the pipes interior so closely. Heck that coating that some makers use might even be partially used to keep the more fastidious of pipe smokers from sending pipes back. Though pipes are like girlfriends in this one little way (and not many others) where what I don't mind and what technically shouldn't be an issue can be a deal breaker. And the real question is how do you feel. If you can't drop it then get the refund. If you're worried it is a serious issue that will cause you problems latter realize it isn't and it won't. And briar has these pits and even the perfect looking pipe might have a few of these hiding out somewhere. To me it seems like a silly thing to get rid of a pipe that is otherwise fine, but I didn't pay for it and I am not the one that is going to smoke it. And last thing if it really bothers you and you return it at least someone else can buy it see the pit not care and enjoy the pipe oh and they can buy it probably at a discounted unsmoked estate (which is probably what 90 percent of unsmoked estates for sale from some websites are).

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
honestly I bet many of us have pipes that have this feature and just never examined the pipes interior so closely. Heck that coating that some makers use might even be partially used to keep the more fastidious of pipe smokers from sending pipes back. Though pipes are like girlfriends in this one little way (and not many others) where what I don't mind and what technically shouldn't be an issue can be a deal breaker. And the real question is how do you feel. If you can't drop it then get the refund. If you're worried it is a serious issue that will cause you problems latter realize it isn't and it won't. And briar has these pits and even the perfect looking pipe might have a few of these hiding out somewhere. To me it seems like a silly thing to get rid of a pipe that is otherwise fine, but I didn't pay for it and I am not the one that is going to smoke it. And last thing if it really bothers you and you return it at least someone else can buy it see the pit not care and enjoy the pipe oh and they can buy it probably at a discounted unsmoked estate (which is probably what 90 percent of unsmoked estates for sale from some websites are).
That was about where I was at: there have now been two issues with this pipe, can you assure me that it's going to be okay?

But then I got a response from the seller which quoted the maker pretty directly accusing me of being duplicitous (which, passing on the message, the more I think about it, is a pretty odd thing for the seller to have done - but I can't fault their openness & honesty). Given that I've gone out of my way to be super-polite & respectful, I'm now full on triggered.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a judgement call. Many would not have noticed or thought it was of no consequence, and likely wouldn't have had any problem with it. However, at that price I think it should have been inspected by the carver and pulled as part of quality control. Likewise the retailer should have caught it, though it seems to have been relatively minor. I can see myself making either choice. If I loved the pipe, I might take the chance. If it was less than expected otherwise, I might want store credit or money back. My guess is that the flaw is of little account and the pipe will do fine. I like the pipes in my stable because I know they are already mostly okay.

Mar 1, 2014
Disclaimer: I've read through the explanations of rule 12 & I think this is in line. Apologies to the mods & the community if it isn't.

I had a problem with a pipe & I reported that to the seller, but I'm a little concerned about the solution they've proposed & I'd like a second opinion.

I won't name the seller or the brand, because it isn't fully resolved & both are super reputable, suffice to say that it was brand new.

Smoking it exposed a flaw in the chamber. It was the first time this had happened to me, but I understand that these things happen & that the maker can't always spot them. I certainly didn't when I was admiring it before lighting up.

I sent the pipe back at my own expense, as requested, & they've just got back to me with photographs of the pipe which has clearly had the chamber enlarged by a few millimeters.

The question they were asking was whether I wanted the chamber coated, but the photographs also showed a small pit in the 'fixed' chamber.

I thought this was a bit alarming & I've written back to say that. On consideration, given both of their reputations I'm wondering if that was a knee jerk reaction & I'm fussing over nothing...?

I'll shut up now & post some photograps, but I'd very much appreciate your thoughts.
My understanding with this sort of thing is as long as you have proof of purchase, any Pipemaker worth his salt will replace a burned out pipe.

If it never burns, and it probably won't, then you never had anything to worry about in the first place.

I've got a pipe with similar problems (arguably much worse) and contacted the maker, he said he'd get around to making a replacement but after months of back and forth he never sent me anything, but then again I haven't smoked the pipe yet so unless I come up with a burned out pipe no-one really has any reason to replace the one I have.

Just make sure your pipe is well smoked before the maker retires.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That was about where I was at: there have now been two issues with this pipe, can you assure me that it's going to be okay?

But then I got a response from the seller which quoted the maker pretty directly accusing me of being duplicitous (which, passing on the message, the more I think about it, is a pretty odd thing for the seller to have done - but I can't fault their openness & honesty). Given that I've gone out of my way to be super-polite & respectful, I'm now full on triggered.
I would absolutely not accept anything but a full refund. I wouldn't defer judgment to such time as a problem develops as the time for a full refund is now. The creepy attitude that the retailer has developed is a side issue. Don't indulge in it as it will reduce your clarity.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

you can pm me if you want or not but what is the issue the first one?

Reactions: Toast

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
you can pm me if you want or not but what is the issue the first one?
I'm pretty sure a flaw in the chamber which got burned out when I smoked it for the first time (it's not happened to me before, but I read through a lot of posts here about it before I contacted the seller, so I'm pretty sure that's what it was). It was fairly large, much bigger than the new pit.

I wiped out the chamber very carefully, so it's not cake or anything like that.

That's why I'm so annoyed to be honest. I didn't pretend to know what the problem was, blame them, or demand a refund. I just described it & asked for help.

They said send the pipe & the rest you know.

I'm really not a very confrontational person, so if they'd said it was my fault (which I don't think it was), but they can fix it by doing X, I'd probably have thanked them & that would have been that.

Instead they're saying it never happened, that the pipe just needed cleaning, & suggesting that I mislead the seller - & all the while there's this second flaw in the photos they're sending....

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I would absolutely not accept anything but a full refund. I wouldn't defer judgment to such time as a problem develops as the time for a full refund is now. The creepy attitude that the retailer has developed is a side issue. Don't indulge in it as it will reduce your clarity.

I would not accept it & seek a full refund. The bore diameter was changed, another flaw was revealed, & you paid for return shipping. If they fight it, contest the charge. Hope to hear who it is so I can chalk them off my list.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Hope to hear who it is so I can chalk them off my list.
I'll definitely post more information when this is resolved.

In fairness I don't think the seller has been bad - responded very quickly, contacted the maker, has been polite the whole way through.

The maker on the other hand is not covering themselves with any sort of glory - & that's really sad.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Also, just to say thank you to everyone for being so supportive & helpful. Seeing a range of views helped me make up my mind as to what reasonable expectations were & I really appreciate it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
So thanks again to everyone who chipped in, it really was appreciated. I have a new Provenzano & they refunded the difference, so I'm a happy bunny again:
IMG_20210310_140348.jpg

LePipe.It, going through the correspondence again, were never less than very speedy, polite, & helpful. I'd happily order from them again.

The original pipe was beautiful & it's entirely possible that I got the wrong end of the stick with Ser Jacopo, but I'm still unimpressed with their response & I'll be looking elsewhere in future.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
So thanks again to everyone who chipped in, it really was appreciated. I have a new Provenzano & they refunded the difference, so I'm a happy bunny again:
View attachment 70134

LePipe.It, going through the correspondence again, were never less than very speedy, polite, & helpful. I'd happily order from them again.

The original pipe was beautiful & it's entirely possible that I got the wrong end of the stick with Ser Jacopo, but I'm still unimpressed with their response & I'll be looking elsewhere in future.
I've seen that response before and it's usually not a good sign. You never know because everyone has bad days the wife yells at them, then the boss, and the dog bit them for no reason... but if it's a pattern then it is a sign that they won't admit they're human and make mistakes and when it's always someone else's fault they can pretend they have nothing to improve or learn and the mistakes start multiplying. Hopefully it's just a bad day.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I have a new Provenzano
That is handsome! Is it briar? Looks like a morta blast. What a great color! I have one MP - a small smooth lovat with plateau rim that is fantastic. Glad it was resolved and hope you love this pipe. It would have been a challenge to enjoy the other pipe after having that “bad taste”, so to speak.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
I've seen that response before and it's usually not a good sign. You never know because everyone has bad days the wife yells at them, then the boss, and the dog bit them for no reason... but if it's a pattern then it is a sign that they won't admit they're human and make mistakes and when it's always someone else's fault they can pretend they have nothing to improve or learn and the mistakes start multiplying. Hopefully it's just a bad day.
Agree 100% with that.

I think you have to take my experience with a pinch of salt for sure. One is way too small a sample size. Likelihood is that any new pipe I bought of theirs would look & smoke great & I'd be saying how great it is & how glad I am I bought it (if I hadn't had this experience beforehand).

But this has left a sour taste in my mouth - & since there are a bunch of other amazing pipe makers out there...

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
That is handsome! Is it briar? Looks like a morta blast. What a great color! I have one MP - a small smooth lovat with plateau rim that is fantastic. Glad it was resolved and hope you love this pipe. It would have been a challenge to enjoy the other pipe after having that “bad taste”, so to speak.
Thank you!

Yup it's a morta & I loved the colour too! I did feel a bit guilty buying a morta as my first pipe from the king of briar - but this was definitely the pipe that spoke to me most. Given how well this one smokes I'd definitely risk a second!