Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoibsurferx

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2011
Monroe, NC
When I first started pipe smoking I lived in Monroe NC which is 30 minutes east of Charlotte where I am now.
Without going to Mccranies all I can find at CVS, rite aid, food lion,etc... Is Sir Walter Raleigh, or captain black. Im actually looking for Prince Alberts cherry/vanilla and other OTC blends since their cheap and can be decent smokes. I even visited the smokers shop in Monroe and all they had was Sir Walter Raleigh and captain black and a few cheap blends he said were meant to make your own cigs.
Ive never tried sir walter raleigh but if its all I can get without driving to Mccranies then maybe its worth a shot. I can get the aromatic or regular. What do they taste like?
Does anyone else have this issue? Anywhere particular I should try looking?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
There was just a review posted about sir walter raleigh and there are plenty of captain black. Not a fan of sir walter myself but captain black is great, all three are.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
It is just not as good as many competitors for me, I would take PA over it any day, and any of the captain blacks in a minute, best bet for tobacco is online.
We cant even get or tobacco shop that or pipe club is stationed at to order pipe tobacco, that seems to be the best business decision ever but they just wont do it, so we all go to the internet

xoibsurferx

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2011
Monroe, NC
Im starting to see that the internet may be my best bet.
Captain black is actually decent. Im not a fan of cb white but the royal is really smooth and has a nice vanilla taste to it.
Prince alberts cherry/vanilla is really good and even being my first smoke ever I still like it and wish I could find a pouch.
Mccranies 2000 crop red ribbon is what I go to when im in the mood for a virginia and I really like their black cherry blend or sterlings madrid when I want a cherry blend.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I had trouble findin pa soft vanilla, after I decided I liked it. The local smokeshop ordered it for me & keep it in stock. I dunno how much they sell, but they've always got it. The manager told me theyed keep it as long as I kept coming there go buy it

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Here the big Box store and national grocery store will order anything if they can get it so dose cvs thats how I get Half and Half when I want it.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
Same problems here in Australia. Our 'tobacconists' cater to cigarette smokers and drug users. In my city there is only one tobacconist which has a good selection of cigars and a few different pipe tobaccos (Petersons tins and Dunhill tins) and they cost $50 per 50g tin.
So it is much better to order online. Usually the packages come through without attracting duty provided you order small.

xoibsurferx

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2011
Monroe, NC
That's really cool that they'll keep something in stock if you come back to buy it! I may have to try asking around to see if anyone will order some for me.
Also tinderbox what is that? I've never heard of it.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
TInderbox Tinderbox is a chain tobacco store in the states. There is one here in Salt Lake City and most major cities have them. Last time I was in the one here, I was impressed by the variety of products they have for the cigar and pipe smoker. But, then I found this site and all its wonderful sponsors.
If you get close, you ought to wander in and see what the local shop has to offer.

xoibsurferx

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2011
Monroe, NC
I'm seriously going to have to check out Tinderbox. I've never heard of it but its always nice to find places I can source good tobacco.
I've been checking out some of the sites sponsors and have to say they all have quite a selection and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.