PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Here is where I am at: after years of poor failed attempts, and the past few months of solid learning (many thanks to this sie!), I now am beginning to know what to do with a pipe, and how to really get some joy out of one. My current rotation of smokers consists of two new (Peteys), and seven estate pipes, ranging from rough'n'ready to quite nice for me. And the obligatory couple cobs. BUT a few of my training wheel pipes, old OTC Dr. Grabow, are still dear to me, and i would like to keep them in my rotation.
Thing is, they really look to be varnished. Like, sealed and shellacked. Do they smoke fine? Fairly well, but I can't help but wonder if it might be worth it to strip all that shine off and take them to a more basic level, maybe let them burn a little cooler or drier.
Now, these were all newer Grabows, late 90's to early 00's. I honestly never got te hang of smoking back then, so they haven't seen a ton of use yet, but I would expect some of that shine to have worn off if it was just a more natural finish. They may not even be varnished, I don't know, but they just look to sparkly and plastic-y next to the rest of the crew not to be, y'know?
So, I have three pipes not essential to my rotation, and expendable if it comes down to it. Would you strip them down? If so, what then?

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Almost every rusticated and most blasts have diluted shellac put on them. Some multiple times used to lock a stain layer. It’s not painted on, but pipe cleaners have been known to die. You can buy a little buffing wheel for your electric drill for $5 on Ebay and save the elbow grease and pop all the babies back into shape.
Smoking that oil Roth? Now I get it lols. ;)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I smoke a great many Grabows,from the 50's up to very recent-- and occasionally a few other brands. If I get a Grabow in that is in nice shape I leave the lacquer alone.If it'd in rough shape I refinish the pipe. I personally cannot tell any difference in the way they smoke.

But the so called drug store pipes are not the only brands to have a lacquer of some sort on them.I've been doing some restoration and minor repairs for an Ebay seller. Recently he sent me two Nordings, a 16 and a 20, both freehand looking pipes. Another was a Rinaldo. The Rinaldo had the hardest coat of lacquer I have ever seen on ANY pipe.Both Nordings had lacquer on them. These are pipes that cost a bit more than a Grabow or KW.

On some pipes the lacquer is tinted so if you remove it the color may change. Two pipes I have a Kaywoodie 500 and a Brigham both are a beautiful red-almost a Candy Apple Red,except where the lacquer has chipped off. In those spots they are ---brown.

0000 (4-0) steel wool and acetone or isopropyl alcohol will remove the lacquer and leave a semi smooth finish.

david-goostree-rinaldo-2013-01-28-001-1280x988-600x463.jpg

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Hey, thanks for the insight and information, people! Truth be told, I think the PAD had bitten me, and I was looking down on the old plow horses after a day at the races, so to speak. Lesson learned, don't look down on something that is working. o)
As it stands now, I think maybe I will leave them be. Let a little careful use and natural wear change them, and not force the issue. Maybe take the time to learn what tobaccos work with them, learn to take them as they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.