ISO Huber Golden Virginia Flake (07/22/2022)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I make frequent trips to Munich and stop in at Huber every time, a wonderfull little store. I will gladly get you some next time I over there. I'd send you some of mine if I had any left.

Yes, a truly wonderful store. But not that little, at least not if you include the downstairs portion and its many display cases and drawers of pipes. I used to go to Munich or Hamburg every 90 days for about 20 years. Pfeifen Huber was a reliable standby for Munich, as was Gerd Jansen's Pfeifendepot for Hamburg.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Yes, a truly wonderful store. But not that little, at least not if you include the downstairs portion and its many display cases and drawers of pipes. I used to go to Munich or Hamburg every 90 days for about 20 years. Pfeifen Huber was a reliable standby for Munich, as was Gerd Jansen's Pfeifendepot for Hamburg.
A few years ago they moved a few doors down closer to the main square, it's a pretty small store now. All the pipes are in the front room in two display cabinets and a single wall display. Shown in the lower left hand corner of this picture. huber.PNG

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I didn't know; my quarterly trips to Germany stopped a while before covid hit. I'll miss the old store.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I didn't know; my quarterly trips to Germany stopped a while before covid hit. I'll miss the old store.
It's still a very nice store but it does not have the inventory the old one had. They do still a lot of top shelf pipes though. But it seems like they have scaled back their Peterson inventory quite a bit, but they do still have lot of Castellos. Peter Heinrichs's in Cologne has not changed a bit, it still boggles the mind.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I know there are healthy things to eat in Germany but in 75 trips I never made any effort to find them. Wurst, Wiener Schnitzel (klassisch is infinitely better), Spätzle, Leberkäse, Sauerbraten, Obatzda, etc etc washed down with any one of scores of great biers vom Fass. And if you tire of Teutonic cuisine some of the best Italian restaurants outside of Italy can be found all over Deutschland. Not a Weight Watcher’s diet for sure, and best accompanied by periodic angioplasties, but deeply satisfying.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
777EDBCF-E90F-49CB-93DB-EDF8CD01675C.jpeg

The secret of a Currywurst is that there isn’t much secret involved, nor magic. Look for magic elsewhere. Its cheap, fast and fills your stomach with plenty of calories, it’s not meant to be haute cuisine. Here you can get it in any, any, any chip shop (Frittenbude).

Warm ketchup sauce and the (right) curry mixture is the heart of a good currywurst. The trick is to cut the dark brown roasted (in plenty of fat) sausage into bites, cover with plenty of the sauce and spread some or plenty of the cheapest curry powder over it as you can get in the supermarket. Maybe some chillipowder in addition if you like it sharp. Serve a bread roll or a toast to get the sauce in your mouth.

The sausage should be „a fine, non-cured and non-smoked sausage of medium quality with a maximum addition of foreign water of five percent“ according to the Berlin butchers guild from 1961 or just a sausage.

Don’t try to hard. Here Is a recipe that sounds good to me, if you want to try a tomato sauce on your own. Especially the pineapple juice part is truly German cooking of the 1960s. Use a browser translator.

To make it complete here is the Currywurst song:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
View attachment 232132

The secret of a Currywurst is that there isn’t much secret involved, nor magic. Look for magic elsewhere. Its cheap, fast and fills your stomach with plenty of calories, it’s not meant to be haute cuisine. Here you can get it in any, any, any chip shop (Frittenbude).

Warm ketchup sauce and the (right) curry mixture is the heart of a good currywurst. The trick is to cut the dark brown roasted (in plenty of fat) sausage into bites, cover with plenty of the sauce and spread some or plenty of the cheapest curry powder over it as you can get in the supermarket. Maybe some chillipowder in addition if you like it sharp. Serve a bread roll or a toast to get the sauce in your mouth.

The sausage should be „a fine, non-cured and non-smoked sausage of medium quality with a maximum addition of foreign water of five percent“ according to the Berlin butchers guild from 1961 or just a sausage.

Don’t try to hard. Here Is a recipe that sounds good to me, if you want to try a tomato sauce on your own. Especially the pineapple juice part is truly German cooking of the 1960s. Use a browser translator.

My sausage and bratwurst recipe (for a dark brown outside and juicy inside) is:

Heat saute pan over medium high heat. Coat pan lightly in vegetable (or neutral) oil. Let oil heat until it smiles at you when a drip of water is added to the pan.

Add sausage and let cook until dark brown on the first side (about 3 to 5 minutes). Flip sausage and repeat (about 3 minutes). Add warm water until the sausage are about 1/2 to 3/4 covered. Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook until water nearly evaporates (about 30 minutes).

Then, I usually make a pan gravy (with a stout beer) or porter onions (saute sweet or white onions in same pan with butter until soft, then barely cover with porter beer and reduce until almost jam like, then place the sausage and porter onions on bun and stuff into mouth).

• Love
Reactions: UB 40

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
My sausage and bratwurst recipe (for a dark brown outside and juicy inside) is:

Heat saute pan over medium high heat. Coat pan lightly in vegetable (or neutral) oil. Let oil heat until it smiles at you when a drip of water is added to the pan.

Add sausage and let cook until dark brown on the first side (about 3 to 5 minutes). Flip sausage and repeat (about 3 minutes). Add warm water until the sausage are about 1/2 to 3/4 covered. Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook until water nearly evaporates (about 30 minutes).

Then, I usually make a pan gravy (with a stout beer) or porter onions (saute sweet or white onions in same pan with butter until soft, then barely cover with porter beer and reduce until almost jam like, then place the sausage and porter onions on bun and stuff into mouth).

Just the way it should be done, high end, but it’s not a Currywurst.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
It's still a very nice store but it does not have the inventory the old one had. They do still a lot of top shelf pipes though. But it seems like they have scaled back their Peterson inventory quite a bit, but they do still have lot of Castellos. Peter Heinrichs's in Cologne has not changed a bit, it still boggles the mind.

Yep Peter Heinrichs „Haus der 10000 Pfeifen“ hasn’t changed, though he sadly died a few years ago. I knew him, very friendly and really kölsch guy. Once in the beginning of the 1990s he had a degustation of a new fat Cuban cigar in his Chateau Henry with a Cuban ambassador and a popular district president of cologne Franz Josef Antwerpes and his wife Elfie invited. That was one of the smokiest events I ever attended. Good show.

Reactions: jguss