PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
As many of you know, Disneyland use to have a pipe and tobacco store on Main Street (I think it closed in the 70s). During this time they sold branded pipes. From what I understand these were basic basket pipes with the Disney logo on the stem. Anyway, I'm a big Disney guy and would love to track down a pipe if anyone has one they are interested in getting rid of or otherwise knows of a source. Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard of the Disney pipes. I suspect they were house pipes from a good maker. L.L. Bean has house pipes for a while, Dr. Grabow I believe, and nicely done. Disney is/was extremely fussy about their merchandise.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Can't remember right off the top of my head.
Brian Levine would be the one to ask.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They pop up on eBay quite often. Forum member jmiller was well on his way to a seven day set.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I bought a pipe there using my Disney employee discount. That must have been around 1974. Unfortunately, the pipe has no branding on it at all. It's not of particularly good quality and I haven't smoked it in years. I kick myself for not buying one with the Disney logo on it!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Brians’ collection was even featured in an issue of Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine, he has quite a spread, tins, pouches and lots of Disney pipes.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
I have quite a few in my collection, but Brian Levine is the expert. We met at the KC show several years ago and I brought some of my pipes for him to look at. Shortly after he created a FB page. Disney Pipe FB Page A lot of information there. Here is a link to my little collection. My Collection
I don't have any for sale, but they come up on the Bay every once in a while.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I moved to FL from NH back in '77 and have visited the 'mouse house' a few times.

The wife of a fellow who is remodeling the unit above mine is a Disney 'fine' artist, and one day when she dropped by to inspect his progress, I happened by too and asked her for a quick Disney impression. She obliged. Then I asked her to sign it.

As she did, I JOKINGLY said, " great, now I can sell it on ebay!"

The picture you see here was drawn in about 4 minutes on an uneven and unstable surface with a dull sharpie.

The pipe I'm smoking is a Roger's Standard Apple, made in France of Algerian briar

win_20180404_14_18_16_pro-600x337.jpg

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Yeah Brian has the biggest collection...also when you see disney pipes pop up on ebay, you're usually bidding against him to get said pipe. That said adding a disney pipe is on my wish list. Incedently, if anyone is selling a Disney branded pipe hit me up :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Comoy as a house pipe supplier sounds respectable. However, tuold says he owned a Disney pipe and it wasn't or isn't much of a pipe. All I know is that a person I know worked with Disney on licensing products and this person, and others I have heard about, found Disney excruciating to deal with and impossible to satisfy on licensing merchandise. I understand, corporations are protective of their brands, reputations, and property, but it seems that it had become a kind of corporate neurosis, so that no one wanted to be the person to sign off on anything, so they made up excuses to not do so. But maybe in the old days of the Disney pipes, things were better. I think Walt had to fight for his creative output, so an adversarial attitude became part of the corporate culture, maybe.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I suspect that there were more suppliers than Comoy's. The only one I have ever seen first hand did have the circular MADE IN LONDON over ENGLAND in a line that was characteristically Comoy's, but several pipes that can be found online lack that detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.