Isn't This Ironic... Too Stressed to Smoke! Happy Holidays!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
Well, I have been away for a few months! I guess this may be a good definition for an "occasional smoker"... when I get overly stressed, I don't even THINK about stopping and having a smoke! That seems like backwards thinking.

The last time I posted was several months ago. That is really one of the last times I had a good smoke. At the time, my wife had gone into the hospital for what would the first of 4 times in the back half of 2023.

Then, I started to have clients go in arears significantly for the first time since opening our business in 2020. That created a problem, since we had not done a good job of building up a savings for that very possibility.

Then our daughter went in for emergency gallbladder surgery. She is 29, and technically not our responsibility. But she recently became unemployed and moved in with us to rebuild.

For the first time, I seriously considered shuttering the business and going back to a "real job" with health benefits.

In all that time, it really never occurred to me to stop and smoke. You see, I am so new to the hobby, it has not yet set in as a way-of-life.

Currently, things are better (not great, but better), with my wife at least out of immediate danger, but still facing several procedures to get her right again; clients have paid up, and more work is coming in; and our daughter is home and healthy.

I love my wife... this morning she said, "You haven't been piping as much. Are you over it?" (I have a habit of starting a new hobby, getting obsessed, and then getting bored with it. There is something thrilling about a new obsession, but I get bored easily.)

No, I am not "over it", as she said. But she did encourage me to take an hour and sit on the patio by the fire and have a pipe.

So, here I am! On the patio, by the fire, listening to the wind and rain coming down on the patio roof. I am trying a new tobacco (The Country Squire 50th Anniversary) in my recently repaired Bing Xtra Long. Then I remembered my new friends here on the forum!

So, raise your pipe and your coffee (or something stronger, maybe), and join me in a toast! Here is to a wonderful 2024; surviving a rough end to 2023; and may we all experience the joy and love of family, friendship, health, and prosperity!

Attachments

• 20231221_101846.jpg
    20231221_101846.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Right, sorry to hear, but you have a wife that's on board and that's a great thing. A bit rare these days. Take some time for yourself and enjoy. Always something to look forward to.

Reactions: Elric and Cyxelsid

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The great thing is that you don’t have to smoke a pipe - not regularly, not occasionally, not at all!

If and when you feel like smoking and you find it enjoyable, then you are a “ real” pipe smoker and don’t have to worry about anyone else’s judgment about it.

I’ve had long periods where I just didn’t have time or the urge to pick up a pipe, and then one day I just pack a pipe and off we go. Meh, works for me and I’ve been enjoying it since the 1980s.

Don’t stress yourself over it and by all means if you find it relaxing then enjoy a nice pipe in the moment.

Cheers!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Family is always first and glad things are on an uptick! Also a relatively “low mileage” pipe smoker and relatively new but I tend to grab a pipe more often to reflect when things are a little sideways. As reminded in another thread, “different strokes”. Have a blessed Christmas and wonderful New Year!

A pup pic to keep the spirits lifted - I find them fun and loving and often therapeutic!

IMG_3527.jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well, I have been away for a few months! I guess this may be a good definition for an "occasional smoker"... when I get overly stressed, I don't even THINK about stopping and having a smoke! That seems like backwards thinking.

The last time I posted was several months ago. That is really one of the last times I had a good smoke. At the time, my wife had gone into the hospital for what would the first of 4 times in the back half of 2023.

Then, I started to have clients go in arears significantly for the first time since opening our business in 2020. That created a problem, since we had not done a good job of building up a savings for that very possibility.

Then our daughter went in for emergency gallbladder surgery. She is 29, and technically not our responsibility. But she recently became unemployed and moved in with us to rebuild.

For the first time, I seriously considered shuttering the business and going back to a "real job" with health benefits.

In all that time, it really never occurred to me to stop and smoke. You see, I am so new to the hobby, it has not yet set in as a way-of-life.

Currently, things are better (not great, but better), with my wife at least out of immediate danger, but still facing several procedures to get her right again; clients have paid up, and more work is coming in; and our daughter is home and healthy.

I love my wife... this morning she said, "You haven't been piping as much. Are you over it?" (I have a habit of starting a new hobby, getting obsessed, and then getting bored with it. There is something thrilling about a new obsession, but I get bored easily.)

No, I am not "over it", as she said. But she did encourage me to take an hour and sit on the patio by the fire and have a pipe.

So, here I am! On the patio, by the fire, listening to the wind and rain coming down on the patio roof. I am trying a new tobacco (The Country Squire 50th Anniversary) in my recently repaired Bing Xtra Long. Then I remembered my new friends here on the forum!

So, raise your pipe and your coffee (or something stronger, maybe), and join me in a toast! Here is to a wonderful 2024; surviving a rough end to 2023; and may we all experience the joy and love of family, friendship, health, and prosperity!
pipes are relaxing but there is a point where I do feel to stressed or distracted to just enjoy the pipe. Best thing about this post though is just hearing that things are clearing up and getting better.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts

I hope that 2024 is a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year for you and your family.

Reactions: dcon and Cyxelsid

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
Glad you dropped by and shared with us a bit of your story, it helps!
But honestly... I think you just came by to tease us with your great looking Bing Xtra Long! :D :D

Best wishes from Portugal, fellow piper! :)

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Keep calm my friend. Hopefully your daughter is able to figure things out for herself. Feel free to post on here whether or not you’re even smoking a pipe. We have a few members who don’t smoke whatsoever and they know they’re always welcome. Hopefully you enjoyed your pipe that you had next to the fire.

Reactions: Cyxelsid and Charly

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’m very much the same with hobby’s. My interests fade and return. Always onto something new.

The pipe is an enjoyable retreat. But it has to be something I want to do in that moment. I never force it.

I’m sure things will get better for you. It sounds like it already has!

This is a great forum. One big, happy dysfunctional family always waiting for one another to return home.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to you and your family. I hope that you will be inspired to find joy in the small moments, even in the midst of the stress, chaos and fear!

Reactions: Cyxelsid

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023

All the best to you and your family!
May the pipe smoke give you good insight!

Ps: your kid is always your responsibility! Age makes no difference. You took a responsibility for life. At least I see it that way. All the best

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
Hard to believe the last time I posted was before the calendar turned to a new year. The first quarter of 2024 was pretty crazy... we finally got my wife's health issues under control (her final procedure is scheduled for next Friday and things are looking positive that this will solve the remaining issues); business has been steady, but we can always use more (Anyone need an environmental consultant?); and we have lost a couple of good friends in the last month or two.

But, we are on to bigger and better things, most importantly our house in Southern California goes up for sale next week and we hope to be in Colorado come mid- to late- July (depending on when we need to spend a month in Sacramento for a large project.) We are currently looking for a home west of Colorado Springs, out in the Florissant/Cripple Creek area, if possible. The dream is 15-20 acres of land where no one will be able to build around us. I am very much looking forward to sitting on my porch, enjoying a pipe, and gazing out at the Rocky Mountains at sunset.

So, while things are looking up, the stress is still ever present. I have found time to get some smokes in, like here at San Onofre State Beach in Southern California. Those two concrete domes in the background (which either look like two breasts and nipples on a cold day, or a space port from StarWars, depending on how much of your geek is showing) is the San Onofre Nuclear Power Station, recently shut down and starting it's 25 year decommissioning process. I stopped at the beach on the way back up to Los Angeles from San Diego. There isn't much I will miss about California, but views like this are in the mix. But lot's of views to see in Colorado that I am sure will rival this!

See ya soon!

20240223_170734.jpg

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
Hard to believe the last time I posted was before the calendar turned to a new year. The first quarter of 2024 was pretty crazy... we finally got my wife's health issues under control (her final procedure is scheduled for next Friday and things are looking positive that this will solve the remaining issues); business has been steady, but we can always use more (Anyone need an environmental consultant?); and we have lost a couple of good friends in the last month or two.

But, we are on to bigger and better things, most importantly our house in Southern California goes up for sale next week and we hope to be in Colorado come mid- to late- July (depending on when we need to spend a month in Sacramento for a large project.) We are currently looking for a home west of Colorado Springs, out in the Florissant/Cripple Creek area, if possible. The dream is 15-20 acres of land where no one will be able to build around us. I am very much looking forward to sitting on my porch, enjoying a pipe, and gazing out at the Rocky Mountains at sunset.

So, while things are looking up, the stress is still ever present. I have found time to get some smokes in, like here at San Onofre State Beach in Southern California. Those two concrete domes in the background (which either look like two breasts and nipples on a cold day, or a space port from StarWars, depending on how much of your geek is showing) is the San Onofre Nuclear Power Station, recently shut down and starting it's 25 year decommissioning process. I stopped at the beach on the way back up to Los Angeles from San Diego. There isn't much I will miss about California, but views like this are in the mix. But lot's of views to see in Colorado that I am sure will rival this!

See ya soon!

View attachment 304301
haven't been smoking my, pipe, I've just sat down and light it up and saw an email saying there was a new post in a thread I've followed in here....
what connects a random portuguese with a random american from California?
Pipe smoking.

♥️