PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morbious81

Lurker
Sep 1, 2016
I ordered up the MM grab bag. 10 pipes for $33.99. Yes they fave flaws. Yes they smoke just fine so far. I can give a list of what I got if you really want, I know there is a thread for that. This post is to address the 11th pipe that came along, The mini... at first I thought it was a novelty, found out its a real pipe. Decided to give it a try. This tiny thing actually smokes well, and burned for 25min. This goes to show that, as many of you have said, an open draw and technique are the name of the game. This little thing may become my morning cup o' joe companion. Apparently they sell for about $3 each if you want to give it a try.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Just what did you stuff it with for it to burn for 25 minutes?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I bought one of these for £2:99 (UK) earlier in the year just so as I could say I owned a cob. However I am lucky to get 10 minutes out of mine.
I have actually just dug it out and loaded it with some Dunhill Ready Rubbed and am smoking it now :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
It really looks nice ! I want one !

This little thing may become my morning cup o' joe companion.

Totally !! :)

coffee_stirringcupandpipe.gif

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
They're a nice, inexpensive pipe to keep on hand, you really can't beat that price. I make sure I always have a new one on hand when I go to the local club, in case someone is interested in trying my tobacco.
The bottom of the bowl can easily be dug into if you're not suuuuuper careful, and I tend to get some ash in my mouth before I burn all the tobacco, but I love these little guys. Again, great for the money.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
It looks cute for a reason. Y'know MM has been around sine 1869. This pipe was originally designed for when your children were old enough to work beside you in the fields. Tyke's first pipe. It's a real shame what they did to those children back in the day - they had to smoke the original codger blends. No GL Pease for little Timmy.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I was in the local B&M (now closed permanently) during a 50% slash on all pipes and there was an entire basket of those cute little corncob pipes. I picked up a Chacom Volute, the most expensive pipe in the shop, to take maximumum advantage of the discount. I have no regrets passeing on the embryonic sized cob. It looks too much like drug paraphanilia.
Smoke on!

morbious81

Lurker
Sep 1, 2016
I packed it with half and half of all things. Admittedly packed a little tight, and puffed slow. YMMV :)

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I also own a MM mini cob, and I smoke it regularly. I live close to my work, and I sometimes go home for lunch. If I have the time, I like to have a cup of coffee after lunch and smoke a mini cob full of Carter Hall. It burns for about 15 minutes. I also sometimes take it with me as a "pocket pipe" when I'm out and about. I like mine so much I've been meaning to buy a few more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fishnbanjo put me onto the small pipes, Group 1 and 2. As I have said before, maybe too often, I thought of these as souvenirs or toys. Then fish' enlightened me. You can get twenty or thirty, maybe more, minutes with flake (plug, rope, coin). Small pipes are useful for sampling at pipe shows, for a quick smoke when needed, for getting the measure of really strong blends before wading in with a larger pipe, and for toting a pipe with almost no lump in your pocket. The cobs are terrific, or briar ... maybe meerschaum (I don't know). I have the small Old Dominion version, the Chesapeake, which I used as an intermission smoke outside the gate at a bluegrass festival. So abandon your prejudices about those dinky little pipes and enjoy them. Most of my pipes are mid-size, but I equally value the small ones and the extra large ones for those long contemplative brain-storming sessions solving the world's problems from beginning to end. Boy, was I surprised to find out the benefits of little pipes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Actually this thread has given me an idea. Whereas my mini cob pipe was bought as a bit of a laugh, I just realized I can use it for trying out my home mixes to see how they are progressing in their sealed containers. The bowl size is ideal for this purpose. Am now smoking a 50/50 mix of Dunhill Flake and Peterson University Flake...it's marrying up rather well :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Jan 8, 2013
I just realized I can use it for trying out my home mixes
Exactly. I have a couple of them, and they are indeed perfect for trying your home made blends or an un-blended component to get an idea of that single tobacco's taste to help with blending. I love mine.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I really wouldn't mind treating myself to a new 'full size' cob but they don't seem to be available here (UK) in much variety.
I do have a vintage bamboo shanked MM cob from circa 1940's to 1950's but for the life of me I cant locate it :crying:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.