PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like skin allergies, pain related to pipe smoking -- like tongue bite, chemical burn, and resulting aftertastes -- tend to be individual. Some will never experience any of it, and others will quit because of it. My bad experiences mostly relate to over flavored (to me) aromatics and especially holiday blends, designed to give off a delightful room note, never mind how that irritates my mouth. I went from those to non-aromatics, some of them quite strong, and they didn't bother me at all. Is tongue bite a real thing? You bet, and thank your lucky stars if you don't experience it.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My first experiences with my Peterson Rathbone left me with some tip of the tongue effects. They were definitely real and kind of like when you just have to taste the gravy you've been working on for an hour and forget to let it cool before sticking your tongue into it, lol. Just finished my re-introduction (and seemed like starting over) after several months off (for other reasons) so we'll see here in a bit how things are going. Our kitchen island looks like a science experiment - pipes, tobaccos, tools all over the place trying to figure out what to go with. Probably seems silly, but fun and the wife is out of town! First bowl, way too fast, second, so much better, but I'll wait a few hours and probably try a different pipe and a different tobacco for fun if I'm not noticing anything with my tongue that concerns me. It's been about 30 minutes since the bottom of the bowl and not noticing anything so far. I noticed the bowl got warm but not "hot" so I'm guessing that's not an issue? Packing was lacking, had to try again and first bowl went fast, second was a nice long time, lots of relights, but still a novice and so much "thinking" going on.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Our kitchen island looks like a science experiment - pipes, tobaccos, tools all over the place trying to figure out what to go with."
I remember this moment so vividly. Just after opening my first order of everything I thought could ever need to enjoy this hobby. A person would've sworn a tobacco shop exploded in my shop. I maybe 35 but can't remember a time I felt that "Kid on Christmas morning" feeling so intensely.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Welp.
As of writing I'm about 3/4 the way into my first tongue torture test bowl.
I'm still lost. It's a bit harsh on the throat and lugs with my first couple inhales but not so much I don't want to inhale and I get a bit of the dry mouth I find in a few blends but not bad otherwise no issues orally. I'll just have to take everybody's word for it and count myself blessed.

Attachments

• 16347330362393265689755683100975.jpg
    16347330362393265689755683100975.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Lucky guy. I’ve had it for sure a probably several other things. I notice on aros, definitely some Virginia’s regardless of how slow and sippy I go and also other tobaccos that have a bit too much moisture. It’s not pleasant, makes me have to stop smoking a pipe ( sometimes for days) and have to watch food and beverage intake as it can last a while. Over sampling early on didn’t help and that also caused some burnout. But, hey, it’s a process. Can still get now, but I generally avoid the blends that cause it and only occasionally revisit them to see if still plagued by it.

I don’t think cigarette smoking has anything to do with it…I also smoked those before and still get. Cigars also never caused a problem unless I smoked too much of the wrong leafs in a given day/period, but it was never tongue bite - always burnout which removed enjoyment due to inability to taste the correct flavor profiles.

I wonder if we could roll Virginia tobaccos that cause the tongue bite into cigars if it would still cause the bite. No idea if a valid thought or if been discussed/researched in any way - but, in addition to the multiple reasons of moisture, tobacco type, casings and toppings, etc. - is it possible to think that somehow the smoke traveling through a stem is a contributor? Perhaps a stupid question, but I’ve smoked through a churchwarden and that particular pipe seems to cause the worst tongue bite, and with the longer stem it does make me wonder. And no, I don’t puff on it any harder to draw the smoke.

Anyway - delaying some work and blabbing as a method of procrastination.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I've been one to usually have an adult beverage in hand while pipe smoking and I think that certain drinks make my tongue more susceptible than others. Still working on figuring out the nuances though. Probably the worst was way back when I hadn't yet graduated from aromatics, puffing a pipe, stiff drink in hand, and wrangled with a stuffed jalapeno all at the same. Yowzers!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Welp.
As of writing I'm about 3/4 the way into my first tongue torture test bowl.
I'm still lost. It's a bit harsh on the throat and lugs with my first couple inhales but not so much I don't want to inhale and I get a bit of the dry mouth I find in a few blends but not bad otherwise no issues orally. I'll just have to take everybody's word for it and count myself blessed.
Lungs? Inhale? Timeout!!!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Some do, some don't. I do occasionally.
Old habits from a long time ago find me doing it occasionally - no judgments here but I really focus on not doing it, if that makes sense, while working on what passes for my technique so far.

Biggest takeaway from the weekend was rocking chair on deck in the morning was a lot more relaxing and helpful than high anxiety college football to enjoying my pipe.