PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Hell yes that’s Clickbait.

There was a discussion about Amber Stems

Here are some of my pipes with huge variety of Amber Stems. I was just going to put a bunch of stems together and photograph them. But, that would entail effort.

So I’m just posting pics of a range of Amber stems

Just curious, have you tested any of your amber stems? I now only test mine if I'm uncertain and preparing to sell.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I have two thoughts on this thread, maybe three...

1. I never heard of that chic until a few weeks back.
2. I dated a chic named Amber for a couple years. She was nuts too.
3. I'd still rather look at all the amber in this thread.

You really have a nice collection Ashdigger. I always appreciate seeing your pipes. They are beautiful.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice collection. I like the opaque stems more than the translucent. They're all great though. Thanks for posting.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I remember Rick from Briarville telling me that older Victorian amber smelled of Eucalyptus when he was drilling out a broken stem from one of my pipes. I have no idea if this is true or not since I have so few original amber stems on my pipes. In total I have maybe about 30 or 40 with their original amber stems not including pipes that have gone to the @weezell. The rest have been replaced over the years as they are so damned fragile. I have always found amber tough on the teeth, but then I have so few original gnashes left that they are out numbered by my amber pipe stems so what do I know!

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I have 1 pipe with an amber stem that I had to restore because it was kinda chiped so I know for a fact the best way to check if your stem is amber is by smell. The real stuff smells like you just chopped a pine tree down for fire wood and got a chunk of sap on your hands. If your stem don't smell like that it's not real amber20220511_084516.jpg20220509_171222.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have 1 pipe with an amber stem that I had to restore because it was kinda chiped so I know for a fact the best way to check if your stem is amber is by smell. The real stuff smells like you just chopped a pine tree down for fire wood and got a chunk of sap on your hands. If your stem don't smell like that it's not real amberView attachment 155094View attachment 155095
Looks like a jolly rancher candy.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have 1 pipe with an amber stem that I had to restore because it was kinda chiped so I know for a fact the best way to check if your stem is amber is by smell. The real stuff smells like you just chopped a pine tree down for fire wood and got a chunk of sap on your hands. If your stem don't smell like that it's not real amberView attachment 155094View attachment 155095
Well, that’s not exactly true, but hey, if it worked for you then rock on.

I had the remains of about 30 amber stems in my hands. The only one that even remotely kinda smelled that way was an unsmoked one. The rest. Well, ashtray scent is more accurate.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well, that’s not exactly true, but hey, if it worked for you then rock on.

I had the remains of about 30 amber stems in my hands. The only one that even remotely kinda smelled that way was an unsmoked one. The rest. Well, ashtray scent is more accurate.
It will also fluoresce under a black light and can't be marked with a fingernail.