PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It's not Bakelite as its way to modern. It is probably acrylic done up to look like amber. Amber was never truly that yellow hue in real life. Most amber feels like glass against the teeth. Anyway smoke and enjoy the damn thing!

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Bakelite is still in use.
Yes it is. However, what's pictured in the original pipe in this thread is not Bakelite. Trust me, it's just cheap yellow plastic. Bakelite has come back into use, it fell out-of-favor for decades. In the 1960s and 1970s, pipemakers were not using Bakeluite, Turkish ones or otherwise. Everything was vulcanite and basic plastic, and in a few cases, acrylic like Plexiglas/Perspex.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Plexiglass and Perspex are just brand names of acrylic. Not much difference in the formula.
Yep. Just US vs. UK brand name. Acrylic was, I believe, fairly new for pipe stems in the 1970s, and didn't hit meerschaum until the 80s. Meerschaum workers stuck with yellow plastic, and the 80s brought in some tortoiseshell acrylic.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep. Just US vs. UK brand name. Acrylic was, I believe, fairly new for pipe stems in the 1970s, and didn't hit meerschaum until the 80s. Meerschaum workers stuck with yellow plastic, and the 80s brought in some tortoiseshell acrylic.

Reactions: jhowell