PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I'll try smoking it as-is for a while and then think about mudding the bowl if I have any issues. Thanks everyone for the input. I've always wanted an Oom Paul but was a little apprehensive about potential gurgle - getting a mouthful of tobacco juice is... not pleasant.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
View attachment 199869
I didn't like how shiny mine was. But buyer beware, it can uncover fills, and unsightly briar. Mine in spots looks like the briar is soft and almost rotting away😂 but I still like it better.
lol Well I think it came out great. I'm actually going to be buying that exact pipe sometimes this month. I have a Sav 613 I got cheap off eBay, but I like the 8614 style better considering the Sav 614 is so expensive. I was considering doin what you did thats one reason I wanted a peak. But yeah, great job on it!

Reactions: Briar Tuck

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
lol Well I think it came out great. I'm actually going to be buying that exact pipe sometimes this month. I have a Sav 613 I got cheap off eBay, but I like the 8614 style better considering the Sav 614 is so expensive. I was considering doin what you did thats one reason I wanted a peak. But yeah, great job on it!
Yeah I love it. Fantastic pipe all around!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
I actually went with Rossi, to see if I even liked the shape. And it was for sure a winner! Now I can rest easy looking at more pricy pipes in that shape.

Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I actually went with Rossi, to see if I even liked the shape. And it was for sure a winner! Now I can rest easy looking at more pricy pipes in that shape.
The Rossi you have looks really bent and easy to clinch. My 613 is not as hard bent as it looks in pictures. I wish it came in a Calabash but I like that bowl style too so not a big deal.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
The Rossi you have looks really bent and easy to clinch. My 613 is not as hard bent as it looks in pictures. I wish it came in a Calabash but I like that bowl style too so not a big deal.
Yes for a huge chambered pipe, it hangs like there's nothing there! The only slight issue is the occasional smoke in the eyes. But that's only indoors. But it literally rests on my chin, and I barely need my top teeth to hold it. It just floats.

So pipe weight means nothing to me, when there's a huge bend. A 53g oompaul pipe could feel lighter than a 25g straight pipe.

Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Yes for a huge chambered pipe, it hangs like there's nothing there! The only slight issue is the occasional smoke in the eyes. But that's only indoors. But it literally rests on my chin, and I barely need my top teeth to hold it. It just floats.

So pipe weight means nothing to me, when there's a huge bend. A 53g oompaul pipe could feel lighter than a 25g straight pipe.
Nice, that's exactly what I been wanting and thought I found with the Rossi. I was a bit concerned with the weight. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get paid and hit the check out button. Think I'm going to also get a Peterson system. That's another pipe I been wanting for a while.

• Love
Reactions: didimauw

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
By the way, I took the cheap lacquer off both my Rossi's and Think they look so much better.
Old post, I know. I'm thinking about refinishing mine with black Fiebing's dye and a wax finish. What did you use to remove the lacquer on yours - alcohol? Or did you sand it off?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Connecticut, USA
Pardon the noob question - coming from cobs, this is only my second briar pipe. I bought this Rossi Sera 8614 Oom Paul recently and noticed that the airway drilling looks a little weird.

I've been told to avoid any pipe that has the airway hole drilled partway up the wall of the bowl rather than right at the bottom. I don't want a gurgler, and I'd test it out, but then I wouldn't be able to return it.

It's a beautiful pipe and I'd hate to have to send it back, but if this airway is drilled as poorly as I suspect, then I guess I'll have to. Is this typical of Oom Paul / Full Bent shapes?

Figured I'd have some more experienced eyes look at it first. Notice how the pipe cleaner protrudes a bit above the bottom of the bowl.View attachment 199623View attachment 199624View attachment 199625
That is how my Savinelli 2614KS is drilled except mine has a channel in bottom of bowl where drill hit bottom. Smokes fine; no issues; gurgles only with wettest tobaccos but pipe cleaner clears that. Good luck.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
That is how my Savinelli 2614KS is drilled except mine has a channel in bottom of bowl where drill hit bottom. Smokes fine; no issues; gurgles only with wettest tobaccos but pipe cleaner clears that. Good luck.
I've been smoking Carter Hall in it and it's been a champ so far. I really like the (8)614 shape - I think it'll end up being my go-to. I managed to snag an unsmoked Savinelli Roma Lucite 614 at a Rossi price. Excited to try it out - think it'll be my main pipe for Englishes.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Connecticut, USA
N
I've been smoking Carter Hall in it and it's been a champ so far. I really like the (8)614 shape - I think it'll end up being my go-to. I managed to snag an unsmoked Savinelli Roma Lucite 614 at a Rossi price. Excited to try it out - think it'll be my main pipe for Englishes.
Nice ! FYI: Its not an "oom paul" (bad slang) or a Hungarian ... its a full bent billiard. One of my favorites too !