PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
My new Drac was drilled high like that. Smokes like a champ! I’m with Sable. Oh and mine was dipped in whatever Black stuff that makes it look like a shiny Coffin and it still smokes cool and like a champ!

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I like my 999, but I don't think it takes a pipe cleaner, and it is drilled about like yours and is a fine smoker. I almost said dandy smoker ... well, dandy then.

That's kind of what I was hoping to hear. If this is simply how they are, then I'll do my best to get in sync with it. If I find that I'm smoking it less and less, then I can pass it along without feeling guilty about it. Thanks.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well of course the “smoke” is the same, but by “smoke” I’m referring to how the smoke travels through the pipe. You wouldn’t agree that different pipes have different draws, with some being more restricted than others?

That being said, the Petersons I have offer an OK draw. You’ll be fine with them, and like I said, I got into pipe smoking with them.
By how it smokes I mean how it arrives at the mouth, flavor, heat, etc., unrestricted. And, yes, there's a wide range of openness in draws but not restricted to such a degree as to be a problem.

bullwinkle

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
Here's what I would if I did anything.. take a small file and clean up that draft hole. then I would check that the tenon is not to long (to close) to the shank face. I like to have a decent gap.

Reactions: diamondback

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
If the consensus is that's how they are, then that's how I'm going to smoke it!

Yes, that's how they are. However, I would also answer "yes" to your question, "Is This Peterson Misdrilled?"

I have a straight Pete that I really like and it's actually one of my favorite pipes. The draught hole is centered as it should be. I wish they would drill their bent pipes like that as well, and it's perfectly possible, but their equipment is not set up to do it. If Pete could get this issue under control, they would be up there with Savinelli as the best pipes for your dollar.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
On a semi-related front, with my pipes I've found that other then my Jobey Hungarian which is my wettest smoker, some of my straight pipes, (none Peterson), tend to be my wetter smokers.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Every bent Pete I've owned has been drilled that way. Maybe with a little cleaner opening but, same positioning.

Reactions: diamondback

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's what I would if I did anything.. take a small file and clean up that draft hole. then I would check that the tenon is not to long (to close) to the shank face. I like to have a decent gap.

I have to ask, why would you want a gap between the tenon and bottom of the mortise?

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Misdrilled is probably a"mis"term. What you have is a pipe drilled as Peterson drills them. No accident or even malevolent intent, it's how Petersons are often drilled depending on the shape.

thank you! this is super helpful to know! It’s not a lemon that skipped past QC, it’s just how it is. That’s what I had no idea of when I “discovered” it.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Silly question, but how would I determine if there’s a gap between the tenon and bottom of the mortise as suggested?

Also, I may take the suggestion of trying to “clean up” the draft hole a tiny bit with a small file. I’m going to put a couple dozen more bowls through it first though.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Misdrilled is probably a"mis"term. What you have is a pipe drilled as Peterson drills them. No accident or even malevolent intent, it's how Petersons are often drilled depending on the shape.

Yeah, I have to agree with this... Peterson seems to screw up the drilling on their bent pipes on purpose puffy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is a very enjoyable thread. The OP has a pipe that appears to smoke well, though the drilling may be suspect. That it smokes well seems not to matter so much as improvements are being suggested.

Reminds me of the story about Rolls Royce trying to decide on which automatic transmission to use for their cars. They decided on the GM Hydramatic since it was the best performer. But when they disassembled one for study they were dismayed at what they considered the rough appearance of the internals, so they "improved" it by polishing the surfaces. So now it looked better, but worked like crap, yet they were happy because it looked better inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.