PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
This is my first Peterson, it's a 999 and I can't pass a pipe cleaner through it. I know some bents cannot, yet this is only very slightly bent. Upon closer inspection the problem seems to be that the draft hole is drilled near the very top of the mortise. When I put a pipe cleaner in, it cannot angle up to where the hole is drilled. It seems to draw ok, but I have difficulty keeping it lit. Anyway, here are some pics and I'm all ears on opinions as to whether it's a lemon or just part of the magic of owning a Peterson. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Well, as I said, it's my first Peterson and I'm not looking to bash or add any fuel to any arguments. If the consensus is that's how they are, then that's how I'm going to smoke it!

::any tips on how to get a pipe cleaner though it would be appreciated however::

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Bit of a bend on pipe cleaner, gentle insert through the stem, twist when you get to the end, see if that works YMMV8036

Reactions: rogers

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On most bents, the position of the airway looks high when viewed through the mortise. That's because, more often than not with bents, the airway is drilled at an angle to the shank. The question is, where does it enter the chamber?
The pipe cleaner "test", which I feel is BS, doesn't apply to bents. But I've found that adding a slight curve to the cleaner before inserting, often solves that "issue".

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Well, the part that concerns me is that the hole in the end of the tenon not really matching up with the hole in the mortise. They match up well enough that I can get a draw, so maybe that's all that matters? Like I said, it just seems a bit odd/off to me that the drilling on the stummel doesn't seem to match up with the draft hole in the stem.

From these pics you can see that the draft hole in the bowl is a bit "ragged" as well.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, the part that concerns me is that the hole in the end of the tenon not really matching up with the hole in the mortise. They match up well enough that I can get a draw, so maybe that's all that matters? Like I said, it just seems a bit odd/off to me that the drilling on the stummel doesn't seem to match up with the draft hole in the stem.

From these pics you can see that the draft hole in the bowl is a bit "ragged" as well.
View attachment 8038View attachment 8039
Does the pipe smoke well? Do you experience any problems with the draw?
If you're not experiencing any problems, then the rest doesn't matter.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Well, just a plain draw seems completely fine, yet I’ve had trouble keeping it lit. I seem to need an inordinate number of relights. That could also be chalked up to the pipe and I needing to get to know one another a bit better I suppose.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I am not a Peterson hater, in fact, they were my first pipes and I have fond memories with them. However, I have since moved on to other brands. The draws were better on other pipes and the quality control from Peterson is out of control. Two of my pipes had white marks all over them, another one had staining on the band (to which Peterson told me to contact the store that sold it), the draws were never great, and just a couple of months ago I bought a Peterson Christmas 2019 and the stem is completely bent out of shape to the right. I think that will be my last Peterson.

I appreciate the history and the memories, but I’ve found that other pipe brands in the same price range smoke much better.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I seriously doubt those pipes smoke better. They may be way more appealing, but the quality of the smoke coming through the stem is probably very similar, if not the same.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I seriously doubt those pipes smoke better. They may be way more appealing, but the quality of the smoke coming through the stem is probably very similar, if not the same.
I suspect the whole Idea of one pipe smoking better than another is usually personal tastes and smoking style. I find my bent briar is more enjoyable than my Kaywoodie, but I am certain it is simply because I have had the bent pipe longer and know it better. I find I have to pay attention to my Kawoodie more than the other.
Ford VS Chevy I think.
(Of course, Im a novice piper so take my opinion for what you paid for it)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Possibly. BTW, did you buy this new, or is it an estate? The pictures look like there's a fair amount of build up in the chamber and airway.

Agreed. Looks like you might want to try a deep cleaning to see if that helps. Unless the draw is horrible, not sure how that would significantly affect lighting.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I bought it online as an “unsmoked estate” pipe from a well known and reputable website. I’d rather not say specifically only because I do not want my own issues to reflect negatively upon them. Any build up is from the couple dozen (?) bowls of assorted Latakia blends I’ve had in it.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA

Well of course the “smoke” is the same, but by “smoke” I’m referring to how the smoke travels through the pipe. You wouldn’t agree that different pipes have different draws, with some being more restricted than others?

That being said, the Petersons I have offer an OK draw. You’ll be fine with them, and like I said, I got into pipe smoking with them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have some bent pipes that take a pipe cleaner to the bowl, and others that don't, and for those that don't I just remove the stems and clean them when I feel they need it. With lots of pipes, that's not often. I like my 999, but I don't think it takes a pipe cleaner, and it is drilled about like yours and is a fine smoker. I almost said dandy smoker ... well, dandy then.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
A number of years back, I was in a local shop when the rep for Peterson came into a local shop with a set of four examples of The Explorer Series of pipes. The shop's manager asked me to take a look at them. A couple were drilled pretty high on the bowl, the fit and finish was sloppy. I him I wouldn't buy any of these pipes. A few years prior, I had bought a new Sherlock Holmes Squire model; rusticated. It was an expensive pipe, to my budget but it was pretty! Smoked like crap. I only learned after I had sold it on eBay that it was most likely the dip staining process used by Peterson that was causing the problem. Had I known, I might have been able to do something about it. Both of these examples are from long before Peterson was taken over by the current owner. I hope things have or do improve but I look at the brand with a cautious eye. And, I strongly disagree that engineering isn't important to how a pipe smokes. It's just about the single most important issue determining how a pipe smokes, IMHO.

Mike S.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Peterson has over the years I suppose, to thank their stars that there are thousands of smokers across the map like me, who had/have no understanding of what or what isn't a well drilled pipe. We just liked our smokers to deliver a great experience.

I think the most important factor in whether or not a pipe smokes well is, the loading skill of the smoker. Tobacco humidity, sipping, puffing, lotsa smoke, and so forth are all a matter of personal preference. As long as the smoker is enjoying the pipe, who am I to tell them their pipe is "crap." I'm just not that much of a pretentious a__hole. In many subjects yes. But never in choice of firearm, pipe or automobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.