PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That's actually untrue. The mortise swells and contracts through heat and moisture while smoking. The fear of removing a stem from a warm pipe is the thought that a tight fitting stem could snap the shank if an attempt is made to remove it. I've always removed stems from a pipe immediately after smoking to clean them and no damage after thirty years.
the thing is the rules with pipe smoking always kind of remind me of lies we commonly tell children. Good intentions but not totally true.
Example you should wait for the pipe to cool if you are having a struggle getting the stem out. But instead of telling us that it's let the pipe cool before taking the stem out. I think the pipe council knew we'd fudge it so they just tell us never do it in the hopes we sorta listen. :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
He doesn't want me smoking period, is why he isn't being very helpful. Hard to quit cold turkey though you know, especially when he is smoking lol. He told me that the reason he doesn't like that pipe is because he just doesn't enjoy the bent pipes too much. He was like, if you want to quit smoking why are you sucking on that pipe like a starving woman LOL.

I do smoke too fast. It's just all the different flavors than I get from the cigarettes. Tried some Plum Pudding today and it was.. different. Really strong lol. But it didn't gurgle this time. Well, maybe a little toward the end. I could only finish half the bowl. Need to slow down for sure.

Haven't tried any aromatics yet. Hubby told me to stick to the other kinds at first until I get more practice. I liked the Elizabethan Mixture too that he had on hand.

I have 1 cob from the tobacco store and one I ordered on the internet. I love the cobs. To me (the newbie smoker) they smoked better than that peterson. Maybe because the non cob one was so big? They do get a little hot though. My train puffing I guess lol.

I think maybe I am packing too tight like some have suggested. Will try to back it off a little. It's just so hard to keep it lit that I want to pack it down and puff puff puff to bring it up lol.

Thanks everyone! great suggestions for me.

-Erica
Sip the pipe sip the pipe. Think fancy wine at a fancy party and you're trying to fit in. Not wine with friends and getting silly. Your new boss is there and you want to make a good impression so sip. :)
Cute dog in the photo. Good advice on the aromatics.
And hopefully he's being a jerk out of good intentions.

Reactions: Little Bit and Duck

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
Cheap pipe. Run a cleaner as everyone said; otherwise normal.
Also, the rind shows you're not smoking the full bowl all the way. You should to complete the rind process.

Reactions: Little Bit

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Not a fan of how Peterson bent pipes are drilled. Airway off center in the bottom of the mortise can definitely result in a pipe having a tendency to smoke wet. There's a proper way to drill bent pipes and this isn't it. It can be improved by ramping the airway. This is best done by a skilled repairman. This is also the reason I sold off most of the bent Peterson pipes I acquired early in my pipe smoking.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
As a 2+ pack a day smoker that has completely given up cigarettes this year thanks to a pipe. I honestly suggest giving up on the pipe known to be a subpar smoker and getting some cobs, some paper filters and a few sample blends that just sound yummy. It's hard for new smokers to smoke slow especially with a nicotine demon banging away on ones soul. Do your best attempting to smoke slow and proper but focus more on just enjoying the the sweet sweet nicotine. When the filter gets to wet and it will. Especially in a newbie nic fit smoking session just remove it and toss in another. Sure it's hell on the pipe removing the stem when hot but cobs are dumb cheap. The same general solution fits most early pipe smoking issues. Pipe gets to hot to hold or smoke? Pack a different one and let the hot one sit, pipe dies 60x relight it 60x and so on. For an ex cig smoker in the beginning i think it's more important building that Nicotine comes from this yummy tasting pipe and not nasty little paper sticks connection then it is stressing over doing every single little step correctly. Which will just make one want that cig worse. The technique is important but
Save the worrying about it for the fun none craving smokes while trying to stay aware with each smoke what action is causing what reaction and works this time but didn't last time. Before ya know it smoking a pipe is as second nature as cigarettes ever were and far more enjoyable to boot.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Also, the rind shows you're not smoking the full bowl all the way. You should to complete the rind process.
One of thousands of myths and dogma debunked by forum member experimentation. Many remove cake entirely now or restrict its growth to a bare minimum as briar's density makes it incredibly hard to burn. Some even wash out their briars with water due to the material's now known low absorbency. Resting pipes and removing stems while hot fall into marketing and legend.

Reactions: OzPiper

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As for temperatures on mortise and stem, assuming the stem is vulcanite or acrylic and the shank is briar, there is a difference in their expansion and contraction. pretty sure. I've unstuck stems by putting pipes in the freezer for 10 min.. and voila, out it comes.
Once your brain accepts the fact that it will receive its dose of nicotine via your mucosa, you'll be able to focus more on relaxing with the flavors within your blends and learn a cadence that doesn't burn those flavors off before you get to taste them.
I say burn them off, but I mean that by smoking too fast you do smoke hot, often creating steam as the heat releases moisture from the tobacco.

Reactions: anotherbob

Little Bit

Lurker
Nov 7, 2021
Texas
As a 2+ pack a day smoker that has completely given up cigarettes this year thanks to a pipe. I honestly suggest giving up on the pipe known to be a subpar smoker and getting some cobs, some paper filters and a few sample blends that just sound yummy. It's hard for new smokers to smoke slow especially with a nicotine demon banging away on ones soul. Do your best attempting to smoke slow and proper but focus more on just enjoying the the sweet sweet nicotine. When the filter gets to wet and it will. Especially in a newbie nic fit smoking session just remove it and toss in another. Sure it's hell on the pipe removing the stem when hot but cobs are dumb cheap. The same general solution fits most early pipe smoking issues. Pipe gets to hot to hold or smoke? Pack a different one and let the hot one sit, pipe dies 60x relight it 60x and so on. For an ex cig smoker in the beginning i think it's more important building that Nicotine comes from this yummy tasting pipe and not nasty little paper sticks connection then it is stressing over doing every single little step correctly. Which will just make one want that cig worse. The technique is important but
Save the worrying about it for the fun none craving smokes while trying to stay aware with each smoke what action is causing what reaction and works this time but didn't last time. Before ya know it smoking a pipe is as second nature as cigarettes ever were and far more enjoyable to boot.

Yep, that's me alright! I look like a freight train going down the hall lol. Im getting better but I still have to consciously slow down 90% of the time.
I know that smoking a pipe is also not good for you but it sure as hell is a lot better than cigarettes. Or atleast cheaper lol. This peterson I have is really big. I can load it up and take a quick smoke of about 10-15 minutes and still have some for later.
And I love my cobs. Gets really hot though and that also reminds me to slow down.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Yep, that's me alright! I look like a freight train going down the hall lol. Im getting better but I still have to consciously slow down 90% of the time.
I know that smoking a pipe is also not good for you but it sure as hell is a lot better than cigarettes. Or atleast cheaper lol. This peterson I have is really big. I can load it up and take a quick smoke of about 10-15 minutes and still have some for later.
And I love my cobs. Gets really hot though and that also reminds me to slow down.
think about it this way which is out of these two which is going to be more damaged a soft spongy material that is thin and is constantly essential to ones survival (how quickly would you die without lungs?), or a much thicker membrane that is designed for containing the parts for chewing up everything you eat? Same basic thing goes in to each which one is going to be damaged more seriously?