PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Little Bit

Lurker
Nov 7, 2021
Texas
Hi guys!
I am new to pipe smoking (getting off of cigarettes) and have question.
First let me start by saying that I got a pipe from my husband (and bought a couple corn cobs) but he told me that it didn't smoke how he like it. He isn't very helpful lol.
Well, it started gurgling on me and I couldn't put a cleaner through it to clean it out. Was told NOT to remove the stem while I was smoking. That tobacco taste is NASTY if it gets in your mouth.

I took a picture of the pipe and it looks like the hole isn't lined up in the middle where the hole exits the stem, in the middle. If that makes sense. It enters the pipe more along the side rather than in the middle, causing the cleaner to get stuck there. So I can't clean the pipe out while I smoke. This pipe and the cobs are the only experience I have so I'm not sure if it's normal.

If you look straight down the shank (is that what it's called?) you can't even see the hole. Had to tilt the pipe to the side just to see it.
Inside the bowl it is off to the side a little too.
Unable to get a cleaner past this point unless I take the stem off first.
Should I just get a new pipe? Go steal one of his good pipes? lol
Or is this ok and I just need more experience? Any advice is most welcome.

SmartSelect_20211121-122836_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20211121-123114_Gallery.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I don’t really smoke bent pipes so I can’t comment on the drilling. If you are smoking slowly so that the pipe is not getting hot, and if the pipe is potentially going into the rubbish anyways, just take the stem off slowly mid smoke to clean it out.

All I would say is that if my wife wanted to take up pipe smoking I would give her a pipe that I liked to use. Ok not necessarily one of my favourites lol, but certainly a good burner.

what tobacco are you using? And are you having any success with the cobs?

Pipes can gurgle for a myriad of variables. But, if you want to get a pipecleaner down it, put a little bend in the last 1/4 inch of the cleaner, and poke that down, when it stops, twist it a little while gently pushing, and it should find the bend and keep going.

Try drying your tobacco more, smoking more slowly, and maybe not smoking when it is cold, because the combustion will make water vaper which will condense in a cold stem. But, really you still might get a little gurgle, because a bent stem causes turbulence inside the stem, which will make it more likely to create condensation.

But, I hope that helps.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I second all the above comments.

My 2cents - dry the tobacco more, pack looser and sip, don't puff.
If it still gurgles, use a pipe cleaner.

If I don't have time, or forgot to dry my tobacco, I've found using a few meerschaum chips or Nording Keystones (? clay pebbles) at the bottom of the bowl gives a drier smoke.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
If it's a corn cob pipe, feel free to take off the bit and stick a pipe cleaner in there while smoking. You're a beginner smoker on a beginner pipe. The reason one should not separate the parts of the pipe while smoking is that the pipe and the stem/bit expand and contract while in use and you want your stem to fit flush with the pipe. If the stem and pipe warp out of shape with a 1920s Dunhill, or any other collectible pipe, that's a problem. A corn cob, who cares? Buy a new one.

And, yes, dry your tobacco, especially if you are starting with aromatics. And, yes, try to smoke slowly/slower than what you think your regular cadence is.

Reactions: Frasermac

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
First let me start by saying that I got a pipe from my husband (and bought a couple corn cobs) but he told me that it didn't smoke how he like it.
Should I just get a new pipe? Go steal one of his good pipes?
Yes and yes.

If it's not a good smoker for your husband, it's probably won't be a good smoker for you. Get yourself a new pipe, something that appeals to you or smoke one of his good smokers.

Welcome to the forum.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
that hole is normal for a bent filter pipe. And if you slowly twist the pipe cleaner as it's going in it will find the hole. The thing is most likely it's as much the technique as the pipe that makes it gurgle. Packing too tight which is what people do when they start will do it (pro tip it's easier to fix a too lose packed pipe while smoking by tamping (pressing the ember and ash down with a tamper including ones finger). Wet tobacco will gurgle, tin tobacco is wet for shipping condition not smoking condition. But one of the biggest things is smoking speed, general I find that sipping instead of puffing like it's a fine wine or good whiskey will help keep it from gurgling. Try all those before blaming the pipe. And yeah that's just one of the reasons pipes are fancy there is more to learn to get the most enjoyment out of it. Either way welcome aboard and oh yeah that's all pretty normal.
By the way the drilling on that looks just like one of my favorite pipes that I find smokes like a dream.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While smoking, you can run a pipe cleaner down the stem and shank without removing the stem, to mop up moisture. Once the pipe has cooled down, remove the stem and give the stem airway and slot a good scrubbing out with pipe cleaners dipped in alcohol to dissolve any bad tasting tars that are in the airway. I use tapered bristle pipe cleaners in the shank for this purpose, using as many as needed to get rid of all of the deposits. I use regular pipe cleaners for the stem. It may take a number of them to truly clean out the airway.

If the pipe still tastes bad, it may be necessary to look for a better pipe, but most of the time, a sour pipe is the result of insufficient cleaning. Don't neglect to really scrub out the mortise of the stem. A lot of pipe smokers ignore this, and the build up in the mortise can play merry hell with flavors.

Then try really drying down your tobacco before smoking. Most tobacco in the tin has much greater moisture than is optimal for getting the best flavors.

As others have said, slow sips will give you the best experience.

Little Bit

Lurker
Nov 7, 2021
Texas
He doesn't want me smoking period, is why he isn't being very helpful. Hard to quit cold turkey though you know, especially when he is smoking lol. He told me that the reason he doesn't like that pipe is because he just doesn't enjoy the bent pipes too much. He was like, if you want to quit smoking why are you sucking on that pipe like a starving woman LOL.

I do smoke too fast. It's just all the different flavors than I get from the cigarettes. Tried some Plum Pudding today and it was.. different. Really strong lol. But it didn't gurgle this time. Well, maybe a little toward the end. I could only finish half the bowl. Need to slow down for sure.

Haven't tried any aromatics yet. Hubby told me to stick to the other kinds at first until I get more practice. I liked the Elizabethan Mixture too that he had on hand.

I have 1 cob from the tobacco store and one I ordered on the internet. I love the cobs. To me (the newbie smoker) they smoked better than that peterson. Maybe because the non cob one was so big? They do get a little hot though. My train puffing I guess lol.

I think maybe I am packing too tight like some have suggested. Will try to back it off a little. It's just so hard to keep it lit that I want to pack it down and puff puff puff to bring it up lol.

Thanks everyone! great suggestions for me.

-Erica

Reactions: Duck and OzPiper

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
The pipe is odd. High stummel drill and off center at the bowl. You probably won’t be able to pass a pipe cleaner all the way. Just use a fluffy pipe cleaner as far as it will go several times each smoke.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I would recommend sticking to cobs for now. They are forgiving and can take some abuse. Experiment with moisture levels and learn what dry means in regards to smoking. Focus on your packing. You want it light but not too airy. Only experience will get this right. Go easy on tamping. This is a big one. Too much force and you can make a perfectly packed bowl go south very quickly. You will learn your cadence once you have learned the above. Smoke slow and don't chase flavors, let the tobacco simmer, not burn.
There is a large learning curve here. Don't get discouraged. There is no right or wrong way to smoke a pipe, but you will learn techniques to make it more enjoyable along the way. Try watching some YouTube videos to see techniques in action.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The reason one should not separate the parts of the pipe while smoking is that the pipe and the stem/bit expand and contract while in use and you want your stem to fit flush with the pipe
That's actually untrue. The mortise swells and contracts through heat and moisture while smoking. The fear of removing a stem from a warm pipe is the thought that a tight fitting stem could snap the shank if an attempt is made to remove it. I've always removed stems from a pipe immediately after smoking to clean them and no damage after thirty years.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
He doesn't want me smoking period, is why he isn't being very helpful. Hard to quit cold turkey though you know, especially when he is smoking lol. He told me that the reason he doesn't like that pipe is because he just doesn't enjoy the bent pipes too much. He was like, if you want to quit smoking why are you sucking on that pipe like a starving woman LOL.

I do smoke too fast. It's just all the different flavors than I get from the cigarettes. Tried some Plum Pudding today and it was.. different. Really strong lol. But it didn't gurgle this time. Well, maybe a little toward the end. I could only finish half the bowl. Need to slow down for sure.

Haven't tried any aromatics yet. Hubby told me to stick to the other kinds at first until I get more practice. I liked the Elizabethan Mixture too that he had on hand.

I have 1 cob from the tobacco store and one I ordered on the internet. I love the cobs. To me (the newbie smoker) they smoked better than that peterson. Maybe because the non cob one was so big? They do get a little hot though. My train puffing I guess lol.

I think maybe I am packing too tight like some have suggested. Will try to back it off a little. It's just so hard to keep it lit that I want to pack it down and puff puff puff to bring it up lol.

Thanks everyone! great suggestions for me.

-Erica
Wait! He doesn't want you smoking yet he is a pipe smoker? Ask him if he is going to quit smoking also.

My second thought wasn't much better because I was wondering why he gave you one of his cast-off pipes instead of buying you a new pipe of your own.