PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I agree 1976 and yes some original stems dont have the script P
I too have a deluxe that has the space missing,in my case you can see where it has had the taper on the stem filed down Badly

i know it is said the space is to allow wear but I personally cant see the join ever wearing that much .
Even on 100 year old pipes the space isnt closed much if at all
They do wear but I’ve never seen or heard of one wearing out altogether. I had a 9s from 69 which I know had it’s original stem (no p) & the gap had worn down considerably. Who knows why the gap differs on many estates? Difference in vulcanite quality, home sanding or doctoring, expansion in the shank over time? Only thing we know is that they never wear out completely, which is all we can ask for really.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
They do wear but I’ve never seen or heard of one wearing out altogether. I had a 9s from 69 which I know had it’s original stem (no p) & the gap had worn down considerably. Who knows why the gap differs on many estates? Difference in vulcanite quality, home sanding or doctoring, expansion in the shank over time? Only thing we know is that they never wear out completely, which is all we can ask for really.

The gap varies from specimen to specimen for a number of reasons, including stinger length combined with stummel condensation chamber depth, injection molding production tolerances (a 1.5 degree taper is NOT forgiving), and so on.

Peterson's solution was to err on the side of it never causing a problem.

After a while the "gap look" simply became part of the visual design as well as the functional design.

System-loving Peteophiles might enjoy some of the photos here:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve heard of people sanding the tenon on these to close the gap.

While that works, most peoples technique results in a tenon that fits poorly.

As for wearing down the mating surfaces of the join just through regular use to where the ridge of the stem meets the shank, kinda doubtful.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The gap varies from specimen to specimen for a number of reasons, including stinger length combined with stummel condensation chamber depth, injection molding production tolerances (a 1.5 degree taper is NOT forgiving), and so on.

Peterson's solution was to err on the side of it never causing a problem.

After a while the "gap look" simply became part of the visual design as well as the functional design.

System-loving Peteophiles might enjoy some of the photos here:

That Cumberland stem is pretty sweet…